Morgon Blue Aqua Proof Paste

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Calnago wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:06 pm
That’s definitely a grease in the cups. The MB Paste would be good for the threads but I’m not putting it on the inside of my Campy cups. I’ve never had an issue there at all with using some nice grease, that could just as easily be used in the hubs or bearings. In fact, I’m using the Morgan Blue Competition Campa Grease for anything that entails moving parts and where I do not want sticky tenaciousness.
So for installation, a tiny amount of MB Aqua (if I can get a hold of it) on the outer surface (the area which touches the C60's threadfit) of UT cups, or dry fit it.........

then installing a Chorus crankset, normal grease only on the outer left and right of the axles, the parts that are in contact with the UT cups since the newer C60s are now 'sleeveless' in the bb, grease on exposed carbon is bad idea?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

For my C60 I put a thin film on both surfaces of the Threadfit cups and the BB386 cups. Just grease inside where the bearings fit.
But, yesterday... shhhh... I decided to experiment and installed a SuperRecord crank with a bit of Aquapaste on the outer bearing surfaces and the inside of the cups. I’m experimenting, as per @Mr.Gibs original query. I’ll pull it in a couple of months on a hot day and check things out. If the bearings don’t still spin like a dental tool, I’ll know that it does indeed make its way into the bearings. No big deal, I’ll just give them a good flushing, clean out the cups and just use grease on the cups and a couple drops of oil in the bearings after that. Just curious.
And I don’t know how you’d get grease on exposed carbon in the BB. I always put just a thin film on the entire spindle just to give it a little protection from possible corrosion.
And a little grease isn’t going to hurt the carbon. That’s the surface that most headset bearings today are running against, all greased up.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Calnago wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:28 pm
NO! NO! NO!
And in case I wasn't clear.... NO!
I have very good overal experience with Kogel and I trust their knowledge about BBs. They have a service manual for bearings and they DO recommend morgan blue aqua proof paste between the bearings and cup. Check it out (scroll down to the last step #9):
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/ ... 3701735546

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, when I thought about it I figured why not. It’s not going to do any harm. At worst I’ll have to clean out the bearings. The only thing I’m not sure about is how runny it might get in hot weather and might migrate into the bearings. When I put it in I thought great, that’s not going anywhere. But is was in the sun and by the end of my fiddling with the bike it was a lot “softer” from the heat. We’ll see.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nemeseri wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:28 pm
NO! NO! NO!
And in case I wasn't clear.... NO!
I have very good overal experience with Kogel and I trust their knowledge about BBs. They have a service manual for bearings and they DO recommend morgan blue aqua proof paste between the bearings and cup. Check it out (scroll down to the last step #9):
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/ ... 3701735546
Ok. I checked that out. That procedure is for pressfit bearings in a cup, the equivalent of where I’ve been applying it... between the cups outer surface and the Threadfit cups, but NOT between the inner surface of the cups and the bearings. In fact, they recommend either Aquapaste OR Loctite retaining compound. Which is exactly how I’ve been using it. And those certainly aren’t CULT bearings they’re dealing with. They’re packing them full of grease. CULT bearings take a couple drops of light oil only.
Hmmm, I think I’ll be inclined to pull the BB and check out the bearings much sooner than a couple months. Should have just stuck with grease. Ha. I love experiments.

AC0

by AC0

Any update on this experiment? If successful, I'm thinking the aquaproof paste would be good for installing headset cartridge bearings (integrated, slipfit directly in the head tube). I've found corrosion on those in the past.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I would imagine Morgon Blue would be great for a headset. It's not like you are worried about headset bearings spinning at their fastest. Furthermore I can't see it migrating into the bearing to any great extent.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... this thread jogged my memory and it so happens the very bike I experimented with (Campy Cult bearings and all) is at my house right now. So I just came in from pulling the crank to see how everything is working out. It’s fine. Even though I just put a thin film on the cups and outer races of the bearings, it did not appear that any migrated into the bearings themselves, and these were unsealed CULT bearings. Still doing it’s thing where it needs to. I reassembled using Morgan Blue Campa Grease but I would think using the Aquaproof Paste will be just fine (better than fine) if you want to use it in your headset cups along with sealed cartridge bearings. Especially if you’re having issues with water/sweat ingress and corrosion. I’d give it a shot. Either that or Marine Grease.

AC0

by AC0

Thanks for doing the experiment, I'm going to try the aquaproof paste.

AC

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wilwil

by wilwil

I use Speedplay marine grease in press fit headsets and on the inner surface of Ultra Torque cups. I dont think it gets in the bearings. Ultra torque bearings have a tendency to corrode themselves into the cups and using this helps. Im not sure how this grease compares to Morgan Blue. Its actually not branded Speedplay but some US marine company and its bluey green.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@wilwil: when you mentioned the “blue” color I think you might be referring to this...
I picked it up at West Coast Marine while looking for something specifically to provide a barrier, versus actual lubricating qualities. It works too. But I think the AquaProof Paste is even more tenacious when it comes to adhering and staying put. Both are fine.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mag

by mag

^ (OT) I see that box behind that tube - finally onto something with the 12s Campy..? :-D

bokiscout

by bokiscout

So what this Morgon Blue Aqua Proof Paste is good for?

I'm about to use it to install threaded BB, which is its intended use.

But also, can I use it for:
- head set
- spindles instalation
- bolts (stem, rotor)?
- threads of the thru axle?

Basically those are all not moving parts, or very slow moving, or very rarely moving parts.

1llum4

by 1llum4

Headset yes

Spindle if you mean pedal spindle thread than yes but crank spindle/axle is in direct contact with bearing so Campa grease or other thinner grease is better.

Bolts for rotors, stems, brake caliper most of these would be better served with blue loctite and only aquaproof paste at the head of the bolt to reduce friction and apply torque more evenly

Threads of thru-axle yes and also the head of the thru axle.

Another good use would be MTB pivot axle but that might not be your case.