Page 1 of 1

Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:44 pm
by CallumRD1
I'm looking to upgrade my 2015 Felt F3X from mechanical Ultegra 6800 to hydraulic Di2 8070. I plan on using the bar end junction box and a Y cable to the shifters. I have a couple of questions about implementing this. First of all, are the 8070 shifters compatible with sprint shifters? Are they just plug and play or do I need some kind of other junction box or something to hook them up? Secondly, with the new short cage 8050 derailleur being capable of running an 11-30 cassette, will it run an 11-32 without any issues or should I plan on getting a long cage derailleur? (I'm currently running a long cage 6800 derailleur with either an 11-28 or 11-32 depending on the wheelset. The 11-30 sounds perfect for me but I'm trying to save money and stick with what I have for now.)

Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:44 pm
by Weenie

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:51 pm
by ooo
SS can work with 11-32, just not as fast as with 11-28 and 11-30
for CX crankset it make sense to use SS RD or GS RD with SS cage

Not compatible with old low profile sprinter shifters SW-R610
Compatible new bulkier universal shifters SW-R9150:

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:30 pm
by BdaGhisallo
ooo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:51 pm


Not compatible with old low profile sprinter shifters SW-R610
Compatible new bulkier universal shifters SW-R9150:
Are you sure about that? My 9150 shifters work just fine with the old sprinter shifters and I would imagine the 8050 would be the same.

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
by MoreRideTime
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm
by CallumRD1
MoreRideTime wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.
So then how do you hook up sprint shifters?

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm
by BdaGhisallo
CallumRD1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm
MoreRideTime wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.
So then how do you hook up sprint shifters?
The shifters have three ports each - the top two for E-Tube plugs and the bottom one will only accept the plugs on the sprint shifter.

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am
by MayhemSWE
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm
CallumRD1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm
MoreRideTime wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.
So then how do you hook up sprint shifters?
The shifters have three ports each - the top two for E-Tube plugs and the bottom one will only accept the plugs on the sprint shifter.
No they do not. This thread was a about connecting sprint shifters to R8070 hydraulic levers, which as already mentioned by ooo is not possible.

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:36 am
by BdaGhisallo
MayhemSWE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm
CallumRD1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm
MoreRideTime wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.
So then how do you hook up sprint shifters?
The shifters have three ports each - the top two for E-Tube plugs and the bottom one will only accept the plugs on the sprint shifter.
No they do not. This thread was a about connecting sprint shifters to R8070 hydraulic levers, which as already mentioned by ooo is not possible.
My apologies - I should have read the OP closer. Yes, the hydro shifters do not accept the old sprint shifters.

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 am
by ooo
SW-R9150 can be used with ST-R8070/R9170 instead of SW-R610 (comparison on 2nd pic)
It looks like Kittel have them on Venge Vias disc.

They are flat, but shimano flat-to-round adapter is bulky (see top of 3rd pic)
To mount them nicely you may need adapter with 3m (bottom of 3rd pic or diy)

http://pass13.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3689.html
https://www.rec-mounts.com/products/adapter/di2/

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm
by CallumRD1
ooo wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 am
SW-R9150 can be used with ST-R8070/R9170 instead of SW-R610 (comparison on 2nd pic)
It looks like Kittel have them on Venge Vias disc.

They are flat, but shimano flat-to-round adapter is bulky (see top of 3rd pic)
To mount them nicely you may need adapter with 3m (bottom of 3rd pic or diy)

http://pass13.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3689.html
https://www.rec-mounts.com/products/adapter/di2/
Thanks for the information. Does this mean that the SW-R9150 shifters can plug straight into the 8070 STIs?

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm
by ooo
Yes.

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:01 pm
by balshawr
Hi this is an excellent thread. Without having to pay out for further components can I do the following from these two set ups

Ultegra Di2 6870 has 5 port junction box
Ultegra Di2 8070 has 3 port junction box

I want to swap the junction boxes so I can plug SW-600 into 8070 bike then plug SW-610 into shifters on the 6870 bike.

Any advice welcome

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:42 pm
by IrrelevantD
MayhemSWE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am
No they do not. This thread was a about connecting sprint shifters to R8070 hydraulic levers, which as already mentioned by ooo is not possible.
So slightly off toppic... or maybe tangent...
Does this mean that hommade sprint shifters (cut e-tube cable, solder on button) won't work with the hydro levers?

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 pm
by CallumRD1
You will need to do somethign like this with teh 8070 and 9170 STIs.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151321

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 pm
by Weenie

Re: Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 pm
by IrrelevantD
CallumRD1 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 pm
You will need to do somethign like this with teh 8070 and 9170 STIs.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151321
good to know. thanks.