Mileage Specialized Turbo Cotton?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mattsurf

by mattsurf

TonyM wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:04 am
Here the comparison S-Works Turbo and Turbo Cotton:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... otton-2016

Rolling Resistance at 100 psi:
S-Works Turbo: 14.4 Watts
Turbo cotton: 11.1 Watts
Having ridden both, that feels about right. When I fitted the TC's I was slightly faster over Strava Segements than I was on GP4000 and SWT.

My new bike came with Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm, they feel very similar to TCs

moonoi

by moonoi

Thanks to this thread I decided to pop down to my local specialized concept store and pick up a pair of the S-Works Turbo Cotton 28c "Hell of the North" clincher tyres.

So I can confirm these are available as both tubular and clincher. Looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvcap

by mvcap

spdntrxi wrote:TC are a different animal then Sworks Turbos.. I find the SWT not as good as TC for ride quality and grip
Would you please specify the type of riding you do and roads you typically are on? Thanks!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

mvcap wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 pm
spdntrxi wrote:TC are a different animal then Sworks Turbos.. I find the SWT not as good as TC for ride quality and grip
Would you please specify the type of riding you do and roads you typically are on? Thanks!
Rollers and climbing (norcal w/ mount diablo-Mines Rd- 3bears- etc etc) Roads go from good to meh conditions. I have SWT on my DuraAce C24's which are my rain wheels. TCs are on my Enve 4.5 and soon to be on 7.8 which I will use for TT and Tri's. Currently Corsa G-Speeds are on my TT bike.

I do a crit here and there and some TTs and some Tri's
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

mattsurf

by mattsurf

mvcap wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 pm
I would also agree with the comment above

SWT is a very nice tyre but TC is a little better on all surfaces than SWT and I personally feel that it is a little faster. I used mine primarily on Wiltshire country roads. The time I notice the improvement the most is confidence descending the TC inspires much more confidence, although some of this may be the extra width (28mm TC, 26 SWT)

Should be noted that SWT is lighter than TC, so may be better for climbing

My old SWT front is now on my Turbo Trainer wheel - it is miles better than the TACX turbo trainer tyre

mattsurf

by mattsurf

moonoi wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 am
Thanks to this thread I decided to pop down to my local specialized concept store and pick up a pair of the S-Works Turbo Cotton 28c "Hell of the North" clincher tyres.

So I can confirm these are available as both tubular and clincher. Looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

Excellent choice, hope you like it

mvcap

by mvcap

Appreciate the response on road/ride conditions!

Hardstyle

by Hardstyle

mattsurf wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:46 pm
I have a set of Turbo Cotton Hell Of The North 28mm tyres (designed for Paris Roubaix), that I got direct from Specialized. I just checked, and have done 6007km on them, I have had one puncture, and they still have loads of life in them. Admittedly I did move to Switzerland in September, so 2500km or so are on nice smooth Swiss roads, however the rest of the mileage is mainly rough/potholled Witshire roads

I had a set of GP4000II prior to these tyres, and had more punctures in less miles, also prefer the feel of Turbo Cottons, and they are as quick/faster than the Continentals
say, where they can be bought?

nickstea

by nickstea

Hardstyle wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
I have a set of Turbo Cotton Hell Of The North 28mm tyres (designed for Paris Roubaix), that I got direct from Specialized. I just checked, and have done 6007km on them, I have had one puncture, and they still have loads of life in them. Admittedly I did move to Switzerland in September, so 2500km or so are on nice smooth Swiss roads, however the rest of the mileage is mainly rough/potholled Witshire roads

I had a set of GP4000II prior to these tyres, and had more punctures in less miles, also prefer the feel of Turbo Cottons, and they are as quick/faster than the Continentals
At least in the United States, I can’t find the “Hell of the North” in clincher anywhere. I think specialized stopped making them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

nickstea wrote:
Hardstyle wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

At least in the United States, I can’t find the “Hell of the North” in clincher anywhere. I think specialized stopped making them.

You just buy the 28mm version of the S-Works Turbo Cotton, there is no special edition and the box doesn't mention "Hell of the North", it's just printed on the tyre in a really tiny font.

dim

by dim

moonoi wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:21 pm
nickstea wrote:
Hardstyle wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

You just buy the 28mm version of the S-Works Turbo Cotton, there is no special edition and the box doesn't mention "Hell of the North", it's just printed on the tyre in a really tiny font.
thanks for that .... :thumbup:

I was searching wide and far here in the UK .... found them at Sigmasports:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... lsrc=aw.ds
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

1415chris

by 1415chris

The prices of this tyre, especially over here in UK, don't encourage to try them. Much more expensive than offerings from Vittoria and Veloflex.

dim

by dim

1415chris wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:49 pm
The prices of this tyre, especially over here in UK, don't encourage to try them. Much more expensive than offerings from Vittoria and Veloflex.
it's not a tyre to 'try' ....

it's a tyre to win races on and to better your previous best times :welcome:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

nickstea wrote:
Hardstyle wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Use drop-down to select 28mm www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-cotton/ ... 209-133458

“Hell of the North” is title for tubular only.
Clincher is the the same 28mm cotton tire.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder