Cable routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Much better... looks good!
Still not a fan of any of those "linked" cable systems over standard cable housing, but that's a seaparate issue from the routing itself.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Calnago wrote:Much better... looks good!
Still not a fan of any of those "linked" cable systems over standard cable housing, but that's a seaparate issue from the routing itself.
Is it the looks or the function your not keen on? They seem well made and very low friction to me. Looks are in the eye of the beholder indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, more the looks and they often end up looking kind of “kinky” to me. Plus, the joins become dust and dirt collectors. I’m sure they function just fine.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Aren't they marketed as being lighter and compressionless?

Compressionless might be true but lighter I don't believe. There are some crazy light kevlar housing out there that is cheap and works ok. 26/20 gr/m brake/shifting w. alloy strands.

/a

commendatore

by commendatore

Calnago wrote: Still not a fan of any of those "linked" cable systems over standard cable housing, but that's a seaparate issue from the routing itself.
I’ve always been afraid of damage they might do to the headtube if the bars get wrapped around in a crash

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, they certainly could I suppose. But in the event of a crash that’s probably way down the list of what can go wrong.
But they will never keep a nice smooth arc shape like you can get from a standard set of nice smooth regular old cable housing. Campy or Shimano. And use of liners where appropriate, like around BB shells etc.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I should have put them on the scale.....dohhhhh! They felt much lighter than the stock sram cables that came off, but compared to other lightweight aftermarket cables I really don’t know how they compare.

I’m not overly worried about dirt or dust as the slick inner liner will keep everything clean. It will most likely take a bit more effort to keep it looking clean though with all the groves between the links.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, the liners keep the actual cable runs clean. And being black, the dirt won’t show too badly. But some of the bling light colored anodized links are more likely to be looking not so great in not so long a time.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Are there any frames besides Scott with clean routing through the headtube on both sides?

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

alcatraz

by alcatraz

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:34 am
Are there any frames besides Scott with clean routing through the headtube on both sides?

I like the design of this green frame. Allows for really neat and tidy cable routing.

It does seem like they dropped spacers or went too generous with the housing lengths. I reckon you could keep all the housing in front of the head tube if done well. No need for such long arches.

Come to think of it they might be running a crazy long stem. That would also result in a lot of excess housing.

In any case. That frame deserves a neater routing of cables than it got in the picture. :)

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

RussellS wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 am

I do not like switching the derailleur cables from side to side, as was done in this picture. The rear shifter cable is on the drive side, so it should only run on the drive side. In the picture it goes to the non drive side and then crosses the front derailleur cable to get the back to the drive side under the bottom bracket. No thanks.
This really depends on how the cables enter (or don’t enter) the downtube. For mechanical shifting, the goal is the least friction (most gradual bends) possible without excessive cable. Crossing in (or under) the downtube is perfectly fine.

On my Parlee, running the housing as you suggest introduces an extra kink in the cable that hurts rear shift smoothness.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Calnago wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:28 am
Yes, more the looks and they often end up looking kind of “kinky” to me. Plus, the joins become dust and dirt collectors. I’m sure they function just fine.
This. And when they collect dirt, they can start making noise. Not the end of the world, but another thing you might have to periodically clean.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 am

I like the design of this green frame. Allows for really neat and tidy cable routing.

It does seem like they dropped spacers or went too generous with the housing lengths. I reckon you could keep all the housing in front of the head tube if done well. No need for such long arches.

Come to think of it they might be running a crazy long stem. That would also result in a lot of excess housing.

In any case. That frame deserves a neater routing of cables than it got in the picture. :)
Spacers and housing length is very much irrelevant. I like the fact that it's cleaner through the headtube, less cable and more aero. I think it's a better choice than to run cables through toptube (e.g. frame xyz) and downtube (e.g. frame xyz).

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Opinions please.

I did my cables like this
Screenshot_20220331-001757_Gallery.jpg
Because the BB cable guide seemed to infer keeping the front derailleur cable left and the rear derailleur cable right (when sitting on the bike). Cables uncrossed
Screenshot_20220331-001728_Gallery.jpg
But is this pretty much the "wrong" way to do it? Most opinions above would seem to say so. Cables crossing is ok? Still the consensus?

Rear derailleur feels good, front felt a bit sticky, not sure whether I've done something else wrong, but that's a different discussion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah I wouldn’t do it like that, you will just rub of all the paint of your frame.