Fake 2017 Specialized Tarmac SL4?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Butcher wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:29 am
Is there suppose to be a 'Tarmac on the lower seat stay? That seems odd, but I'm not an expert.
The "Tarmac" on the lower seat stay was part of the graphics used on the SL5 Tarmacs.... but this bike is painted as an SL4, even though the frame, based on some other design points looks like an SL5. IMO, this is a chinese knockoff of the SL5, but the company didn't do a very good researching the different models and painted it to look like an SL4.... or perhaps they did this intentionally to somehow avoid copyright claims.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I edited my comment 1 minute after I put my fingers on the board. You are quick.

I figured that out after looking at the photo again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Looks like more effort went into this fake than usual.

rbibko

by rbibko

If you ever have questions about authenticity, the Specialized does a great job with couterfeit awareness: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/counterfeit. Don't hesitate to reach out! There's an entire team designated to finding just this: Also, SKU/Serial Numbers on-site are your best friend. Those numbers don't lie.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

rbibko wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:24 am
If you ever have questions about authenticity, the Specialized does a great job with couterfeit awareness: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/counterfeit. Don't hesitate to reach out! There's an entire team designated to finding just this: Also, SKU/Serial Numbers on-site are your best friend. Those numbers don't lie.
Great tips Ryan! Been looking at old SWorks on Ebay and this would be great help!!

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:30 am
The sticker son the bottom of the BB shell look nothing like like the serial number stickers I've ever seen on my Specialized bikes and that bottom brack shell cover doesn't look right either.
That's not a specialized serial number, for sure.

JakeSiney

by JakeSiney

SL5 Logo on the inside of the chainstay proves it's a knock off.