Help me choose a new bike - 3500€ limit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mustafah009

by mustafah009

Hi,

I'm in a market for a new bike, with a budget limit of 3500€. My current bike is a giant TCR advanced(alloy steerer) with 105 and Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheels, and I want to by a new bike with a high end frame, groupset and wheels can be of lower grade as I will be upgrading as time goes by. My preference is to have a light, climbing bike (my own weight is 59Kg).
What bikes do you suggest? I was currently looking into the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 or by a trek Emonda SLR frameset and build from there (will use my current Zonda C17 wheels initially).

Thanks

VamP

by VamP

How about another TCR?

Last year's Advanced Pro 105 comes in cheap in the sales, and has a cracking wheelset.

Sell the 105, buy Red or eTap and you're within budget and under 6.8kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

Consider the new Rose X-Lite: it"s light and very good value for money. Since they changed their paint scheme's, they do look nice as well.

Beaver

by Beaver

+1 for Rose - but question is, are they willing to sell you a frameset...?

There are order numbers and prizes, but I guess they are meant for replacements only...

Frame 2262686 1,700€
Fork 2262687 399€

The cheapest complete bike would be the ROSE X-LITE SIX Ultegra Di2 for 4,299€ and therefore above the limit. I don't think there will be really cheaper version with lower spec, because there's the ROSE X-LITE FOUR with a heavier frameset...

I'm curious for the first test results, but everything looks promising - it could be a Tarmac SL at a better price point...

mustafah009

by mustafah009

VamP wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:20 pm
How about another TCR?

Last year's Advanced Pro 105 comes in cheap in the sales, and has a cracking wheelset.

Sell the 105, buy Red or eTap and you're within budget and under 6.8kg.
We don't have that in Portugal, Ultegra is the lowest spec in the pro range. I also don't really like the color scheme of the current ultegra TCR pro.

mustafah009

by mustafah009

Roel W wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:35 pm
Consider the new Rose X-Lite: it"s light and very good value for money. Since they changed their paint scheme's, they do look nice as well.
The Rose sounds like a cracking choice, is there anyone around here with one to share some feedback around the build quality?

hfx

by hfx

OP, would you be interested in a 2017 Lapierre Xelius frameset with or without some Ultegra components? It’s the frame used by the FDJ team for mountain stages.
I’m in Portugal, let me know if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustafah009

by mustafah009

hfx wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:58 pm
OP, would you be interested in a 2017 Lapierre Xelius frameset with or without some Ultegra components? It’s the frame used by the FDJ team for mountain stages.
I’m in Portugal, let me know if you’re interested.
Is it new, what color?

hfx

by hfx

mustafah009 wrote: Is it new, what color?
Got it new it last April, size 54. I can check how many kms I’ve done exactly but I guess it has around 2500km.
Here’s a picture of the bike.

mustafah009

by mustafah009

hfx wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:11 pm
mustafah009 wrote: Is it new, what color?
Got it new it last April, size 54. I can check how many kms I’ve done exactly but I guess it has around 2500km.
Here’s a picture of the bike.
That's too big for me, 169cm height.

jlok

by jlok

Emonda SLR or TCR Adv SL. The SL climbs really well!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

hfx

by hfx

mustafah009 wrote: That's too big for me, 169cm height.
Yeah, definitely.
Nevertheless it’s a great frame you can consider. Comfy, good power transfer and agile with a quick/direct handling.

jever98

by jever98

mustafah009 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 pm
Hi,

I'm in a market for a new bike, with a budget limit of 3500€. My current bike is a giant TCR advanced(alloy steerer) with 105 and Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheels, and I want to by a new bike with a high end frame, groupset and wheels can be of lower grade as I will be upgrading as time goes by. My preference is to have a light, climbing bike (my own weight is 59Kg).
What bikes do you suggest? I was currently looking into the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 or by a trek Emonda SLR frameset and build from there (will use my current Zonda C17 wheels initially).

Thanks
Canyon is difficult to beat on value for money.

Have you checked how well the frame fits you? I would be mindful of the fact that frames differ quite a bit - some are long and low and others shorter and higher. Depending on your morphology and flexiblity one bike might work well for you whilst another might not, independent of quality.

For example I am tall with long legs and shorter torso. Means that I would best fit the Endurace in the Canyon line up, even though I run a healthy drop.
----
No longer in the industry

mustafah009

by mustafah009

jever98 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Have you checked how well the frame fits you? I would be mindful of the fact that frames differ quite a bit - some are long and low and others shorter and higher. Depending on your morphology and flexiblity one bike might work well for you whilst another might not, independent of quality.

For example I am tall with long legs and shorter torso. Means that I would best fit the Endurace in the Canyon line up, even though I run a healthy drop.
Short legs long torso and very good flexibility, I run the TCR which is a size S with a 110mm 17º negative stem (would like to get a smaller frame with 130 stem).
One of my concerns with the Canyon Ultimate slx is the length of the provided stem/bar combo (in the frameset), in my size it comes with only 90mm stem length and they don't seem to be willing to change it without additional charge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kidrob

by kidrob

mustafah009 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm
jever98 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Short legs long torso and very good flexibility, I run the TCR which is a size S with a 110mm 17º negative stem (would like to get a smaller frame with 130 stem).
One of my concerns with the Canyon Ultimate slx is the length of the provided stem/bar combo (in the frameset), in my size it comes with only 90mm stem length and they don't seem to be willing to change it without additional charge.
The Canyon is so much value for the money and all you would ever need. How much is the additional charge? Cant be that much tbh.