sram red crankset / chainring question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

paregreen23

by paregreen23

Can anyone help me ......
I have an older sram red 10 speed crankset (50/34 compact) from around 2010 I think.
I want to upgrade to sram red 22 in the most inexpensive way possible. The thing that I was thinking was that
maybe I could retain the original sram red spider I have and instead of buying a complete new crankset,
I could simple replace the old chainrings to some new sram red 22 chain rings (52/36 this time instead of the current 50/34).
Does someone know whether the older spider would fit the new chainrings ?? Would be super helpful to hear from you... :-)
kindest regards
Duncan
------
Duncan Paré
Parlee Z Zero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yes it fits but... the new Red 22 rings are made to be compatible with both the original 5 arm spider (which is what you probably have) as well as the newer hidden bolt style (ten or eleven speed). This means that the rings will come with two drop pins in different locations and a little rubber plug. You will have to pull off one pins and put the little rubber plug in the hole. It takes some work with plyers to get the pin out.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

paregreen23

by paregreen23

... Ok so its possible, really nice to know,
thanks for the fast reply ...

Duncan
------
Duncan Paré
Parlee Z Zero

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Why change anything on the crank? I'd try it just as it is first.

If your front shifting is lacking then maybe swap the whole crank for a nice exogram. Not too bad priced second hand.

/a

Digger90

by Digger90

10spd and 11spd chains have the same internal width (inside of plate to inside of plate), so 11spd rear cassette, chain etc should work properly on your 10spd chainrings.

Unless they're worn out, no need to change.

paregreen23

by paregreen23

Digger90 wrote:10spd and 11spd chains have the same internal width (inside of plate to inside of plate), so 11spd rear cassette, chain etc should work properly on your 10spd chainrings.

Unless they're worn out, no need to change.
That’s the thing also, that the chainrings are worn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
------
Duncan Paré
Parlee Z Zero

paregreen23

by paregreen23

alcatraz wrote:Why change anything on the crank? I'd try it just as it is first.

If your front shifting is lacking then maybe swap the whole crank for a nice exogram. Not too bad priced second hand.

/a
Thanks for input - the chainrings are worn a little, so I was just thinking of making the upgrade when I replaced them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
------
Duncan Paré
Parlee Z Zero

themidge

by themidge

I don't think there'll be any compatability issues with any chainrings you buy. So long as they're regular 5 bolt ones (not campagnolo with the weird BCD or shimano 4 bolt etc etc.) they should fit as the old sram red cranks were just like any other 5 arm chainset.
So, you've got lots of options for good quality rings, sram red 22, stronglight ct2, cannondale mkv, praxis, extralite, those kcnc spider ones are cool, the list goes on and on :D .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com