Help me find a modern *steel* road frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AlexMeeshell

by AlexMeeshell

Long time lurker. First time poster.

Looking to get back into spririted road riding after a layoff (bought house, had kids, yaddi yadda).
I'm interested in buying a steel frame(set) after a longstanding fling with carbon.
Would like to avoid going down the custom road if possible (endless back and forth emails, debatable value, 2 year waiting lists etc).

Here's a rundown of my needs (OK... wants), in decreasing importance:
  • Relatively light and stiff
  • Race-ish geometry. None of that long wheelbase, tall head tube stuff
  • Clearance for 28-30 mm tires, depending on wheels
  • Direct mount *rim* bakes
  • Di2 compatible, internal cables
  • No PressFit BB
A Ritchey Road Logic checks almost all boxes, but current colorway is meh and does no have direct mount brakes.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions, and thanks in advance!

Previous road rig was a 58 cm Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4 which I loved to bits and selling it broke something inside of me.
Intended use: spirited group rides. Saturday Morning Word Championships. Probably not racing.
Background: 77 Kg, 183 cm, 95 cm inseem. Ex Cat.2 pack fill, plenty flexible.

Lemond75

by Lemond75

Tommasini Fire. Fully customisable, Columbus Spirit, and relatively quick turnaround when I bought my Tecno (6-8 weeks).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

Struggling to see why you would want direct mount rim brakes on a steel frame, not sure you are going to find a OTP steel bike that uses it.

The Ritchey Logic is available in a Heritage scheme for a little bit extra rather than the Sky Blue Metallic. And there are plenty of the last grey colour still around.

morganb

by morganb

Gunnar checks all those boxes except direct mount rim brake. My full custom from them was a sub 6 week turnaround. Its also super light for steel (1550g with a likely heavy paint scheme and integrated derailleur hanger) and very racy.

bilwit

by bilwit

internal cabling & direct mount brakes on a steel frame sounds pretty bad ass 8)

AlexMeeshell

by AlexMeeshell

bilwit wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:46 pm
internal cabling & direct mount brakes on a steel frame sounds pretty bad ass 8)
I know, right!

AlexMeeshell

by AlexMeeshell

Lemond75 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm
Tommasini Fire. Fully customisable, Columbus Spirit, and relatively quick turnaround when I bought my Tecno (6-8 weeks).
Thanks for the tip. Was not on my radar. Is now!

AlexMeeshell

by AlexMeeshell

euan wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm
Struggling to see why you would want direct mount rim brakes on a steel frame, not sure you are going to find a OTP steel bike that uses it.
Hence this post. Also, direct mount brake = better tire clearance, better reported braking power and modulation, and more aero (see eeBrake),
The Ritchey Logic is available in a Heritage scheme for a little bit extra rather than the Sky Blue Metallic. And there are plenty of the last grey colour still around.
Could you link to a source? As of this writing, none available in a 57 cm frameset in silver/Heritage. Also I beleive that livery has the old(er) geo/tire clearance/fork design.

AlexMeeshell

by AlexMeeshell

morganb wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:58 pm
Gunnar checks all those boxes except direct mount rim brake. My full custom from them was a sub 6 week turnaround. Its also super light for steel (1550g with a likely heavy paint scheme and integrated derailleur hanger) and very racy.
Thanks for the tip.
Was not on my radar.
Is now!

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Ritchey Logic is nice, but isn't light or stiff and the current model geometry is less "racy" than the prior gen (grey).

What's your reason behind DM brakes? The newer eeBrakes have added tire clearance.

Please don't use aero brakes on a steel frame :noidea:
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

AlexMeeshell

by AlexMeeshell

rheosibal wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:23 pm
Ritchey Logic is nice, but isn't light or stiff and the current model geometry is less "racy" than the prior gen (grey).

What's your reason behind DM brakes? The newer eeBrakes have added tire clearance.

Please don't use aero brakes on a steel frame :noidea:
As stated above: better tire clearance, better reported power/modulation and added bonus: more aero (see eeBrakes dircet mount). Direct mount brakes are not the first citerium, but I'd really like to give them a try, given all the positive feedback.

I looked at the geo charts of current and previous iteration of the Road Logic. Consesus seems to be the newer version has more tire clearance, a new, stiffer fork and sharper handling. Have not ridden either, so this is all Internet hearsay.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Wow, coming from the SL4 Tarmac to a steel frame is a monumental shift. Are you sure you really want to go that way? I have an SL4 and have steel bikes too (Colnago) and would never choose the steel bikes for spirited group rides. Just my initial thought when reading your post. I know, not answering your question. .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KarlC

by KarlC

These may not meet all of your wants but they sure are nice..... http://stelbel.it/en/

SB/03

RODANO
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

TwiggyTN wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 pm
Wow, coming from the SL4 Tarmac to a steel frame is a monumental shift. Are you sure you really want to go that way? I have an SL4 and have steel bikes too (Colnago) and would never choose the steel bikes for spirited group rides. Just my initial thought when reading your post. I know, not answering your question. .

I have a newer Colnago Master X Lite, most people would NOT call it modern steel

I also have a SpeedVagen Road, most people would call it modern steel
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AlexMeeshell

by AlexMeeshell

TwiggyTN wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 pm

That's why my list of wants/needs reads as such. If properly chosen, I'd have no qualms about making watts on the right steel rig. The SL4 will always have a special place in my heart. But as the saying goes: "If you love something, set it free."
Last edited by AlexMeeshell on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.