Help me find a modern *steel* road frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

this bike is an insane deal, i heard it rides great and i think it can take 30mm tires, anyone have one? i want to get it repainted

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/ho ... n-frameset

MattN

by MattN

TwiggyTN wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 pm
Wow, coming from the SL4 Tarmac to a steel frame is a monumental shift. Are you sure you really want to go that way? I have an SL4 and have steel bikes too (Colnago) and would never choose the steel bikes for spirited group rides. Just my initial thought when reading your post. I know, not answering your question. .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
See, I had an SL4 Expert and sold it because it was just a bike, I took my Colnago Master or Dream out every time over it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

waltthizzney wrote:this bike is an insane deal, i heard it rides great and i think it can take 30mm tires, anyone have one? i want to get it repainted

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/ho ... n-frameset
viewtopic.php?t=146326

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Marin wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 pm
Roel W wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 pm
What size is the Road Logic in this picture Marin?
IIRC my Logic it was a 55.

Mid-reach brakes can look ok too, I'm running TRP 957 on the Heretic CL2:

Note the clearance - 35mm tires fit just fine :D

Re Etap on the Ritchey: You can always cut off the cable stops and then just go to spot repair shop, they can probably match any paint.
That's beatiful. What handlebar is this? Did you remove the logos?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Marin

by Marin

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 am
It's a generic bar that looks a lot like the Bontrager aero bars. It came in bare carbon without logos.

KarlC

by KarlC

Marin wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 am
It's a generic bar that looks a lot like the Bontrager aero bars. It came in bare carbon without logos.
Got a link to where you got it ?

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

NickyR

by NickyR

Hi there,
I ride a Ritchey road logic as a second bike and I really like it. At approx. 7,4kg with carbon wheels, it is more than just a second choice (I also have a CAAD12) : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=166274
This is my first steel bike (at least since my first mtb back in the 90's) and I must say that the feeling I got from the bike is very satisfying, it is so smooth yet efficient. The tubeset is said to be "triple butted and heat treated", don't know where it comes from (tange ? kasei ?), what is is (cro-moly?), and how it is butted and thickness but it "works", at least for me. The tubes are also quite narrow (classic) : 28,6mm for seat tube and top tube, 31,8mm for the downtube. The frame weights 1,82kg in size 57, very nice weight in my opinion.
I was thinking about a custom steel bike and I was wondering what a "modern" steel tubeset would change/improve ? In addition to the benefits of a custom fit, I wish I could achieve a little bit more "reactivity", maybe save some weight. Reynolds 853, Columbus Life/max/spirit, Deda Zero are the tubesets that I am considering.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

As my user name suggests, im a Condor fan. I've had carbon superbikes, alloy crit bashers yet always come back to steel.
Please see below for a few of my steel wonders (plus one worthy alloy imposter!).
Condor's service is excellent, engineering exemplary and their geometries always seem to hit a sweet spot.
I like rim brakes depsite being a heavier rider, Camapagnolo is my prefered choice for power and feel. Not tried DM brakes.
Super Acciaio 2012, Super Acciaio 2016, Italia RC 2017, Acciaio 2021 (my newest and I think genuinely the best all rounder I have ever had).
E3C9F26C-6DBA-4EBF-8343-BA1CEF7D2CA3.jpeg
34C44FC6-DA8C-4769-9705-2F7B80DCF25A.jpeg
6CC82F50-D254-4A7D-823E-938D9F63CEC2.jpeg
tempImage0NS91v.gif

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I'm getting a Llewellyn Discus Colossus made atm - he does a rim brake version too

Hmmmm, frame 8)

NickyR

by NickyR

DieselCondor wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:52 pm
As my user name suggests, im a Condor fan. I've had carbon superbikes, alloy crit bashers yet always come back to steel.
Please see below for a few of my steel wonders (plus one worthy alloy imposter!).
Condor's service is excellent, engineering exemplary and their geometries always seem to hit a sweet spot.
I like rim brakes depsite being a heavier rider, Camapagnolo is my prefered choice for power and feel. Not tried DM brakes.
Super Acciaio 2012, Super Acciaio 2016, Italia RC 2017, Acciaio 2021 (my newest and I think genuinely the best all rounder I have ever had).E3C9F26C-6DBA-4EBF-8343-BA1CEF7D2CA3.jpeg34C44FC6-DA8C-4769-9705-2F7B80DCF25A.jpeg6CC82F50-D254-4A7D-823E-938D9F63CEC2.jpegtempImage0NS91v.gif
All your bikes look fantastic. Did you notice any difference in their handling/riding characteristics ?
Their Acciaio 2021 is a nice offer (deda zero replica tubeset has good reputation) but out of stock in my size and the standard geometry is not great for me.
Moreover, i am quite scarred about ordering in the UK since Brexit (VAT and taxes...). I am discussing with Rourke cycling (UK too) and same problem : their base price is competitive but if I have to add VAT and taxes (+-25% of the price) it hurts.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Yeah the super acciaios are super stiff and excellent for short sharp riding and racing crits. The handling is sharp. The Italia RC is surprisingly comfortable for an alloy frame and handles the same as the super acciaios but does lack the springiness.
The 2021 acciaio is a real sweet spot- a fast mile muncher, still stiff and is my favourite to climb and descend on. I decided to decline the standard fork and fitted a Columbus futura SL fork.
My mate ordered a custom Rourke frame in Nov last year, I believe it is almost ready now. It's a long wait but Rourkie's are also excellent.

GS100

by GS100

This thread reminded me of my lust for a modern steel bike with all the trimmings - electronic, carbon wheels etc. I've always thought this was cool compared to carbon but inevitable compromises on weight and/ or stiffness plus cheap rim deals led me to carbon last time. When I rode ti I always got complemented on it. Carbon, not so much, even the exotic stuff.

On Condor - love the look of these - I'm sure there was a UK conti pro team who rode their steel bikes a few years back. Ritchey I also think are very nice, their road logic frames are unpretentious and reasonable value, plus you could fully spec with their lovely carbon components which are very well made IME.

GS100

by GS100

On brake discussion - have used trp r957 long drop for my ti bike - lovely and seem to have as much power as standard drop brakes, i ride DM and regular now, DM are perhaps a slight improvement (on both TRP and Campa) but I have to say modern shimano ultegra+ level standard mount are just as good if not better..and I'm a campag man :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NickyR

by NickyR

wow... 1 year waiting.... that's a while !
currently 3 builders caught my attention :
- Somec, Italy (http://www.somec.com/en/collection/steel_frames/iron/) their "Iron" ticks most boxes : BSA, external cables (except rear brake), 27,2mm seatpost, integrated post clamp, integrated headset, fully custom geometry without surcharge etc... The frame is fully made of Columbus Life HSS tubes (which I think is a clever choice), you can not select gauge/thickness of the tubes but their tubes pick up should work for me (not undersized for my 85kg). The carbon fork is Columbus futura caliper. You can choose the color you want with no surcharge.
- SingleBE, Czech Republic (https://www.singlebe.com/en/category-product/bikes/) : fully custom Deda Zero frame, fork of my choice, colors, geometry etc... all is customisable. Probably the lightest option with the possibility to tune to the best the frame to my liking.
- Standert, Germany (https://standert.de/collections/triebwe ... bike-frame) : good selection of tubes (front triangle in Columbus Spirit, Xcr stainess for the chainstain, 4130 crmo for the headtube, BB, and seatstays), their 58 standard geometry is 95% OK for me but the T47 bb and internal cable routing... not sure I like those. 2 "classic" colors, available immediately as long as in stock.
I also sent an enquiry to Rychtarsky, Poland, but no answer yet.
I know there are many other builders but the price is an important factor (If I could afford a Jaegher, SAffron, Stelbel or a Deanima, I would go for it right now) and I prefer to stay in the EU to avoid taxes and so on.
Last edited by NickyR on Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.