Bike Choice: Pride v. Reality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which Wilier frameset would you buy?

Wilier Cento 10 Air
68%
Wilier Cento 10NDR
32%

Total votes: 28

joelpace

by joelpace

OK guys, I’m thinking about buying a new frame. But, I need some input from you all.

I’m a long time fan of Wilier bikes as they just fit me. I currently have a Cento SR with EPS Super Record. Great bike. I’m looking at the Cento 10 air and the Cento NDR. I’ve been riding for nearly 35 years and still feel like I’m fit and fast (or can be shortly with a good training block - :D ). That points to the Cento 10 Air. Same geometry as my SR. I know that fits.

However, I just turned 50 and have to admit that some days the body doesn’t respond like it use to. Longer rides can be harder. I’m not as flexible as I once was. All of that points to the NDR as it has a more upright geometry. Also it has some rear suspension (sorry) and is compatible with both rim and disc brakes (I’m currently not a fan of discs but this would be a way to hedge my bet).

I have several bikes (Aeroad, ReactoEvo, Specialized Allez DSW,, Wilier Cento SR) so this will not be my only bike.

Question: Which frameset would you buy and why?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Which bike would make you smile more? Which bike would you think about more when not riding it? I'm in a similar boat as you. I am 51, and not getting any younger. Recovery takes longer, etc. I'm lucky to have good flexibility and can rotate my hips a lot. I pride myself on my only road bike being of the racy variety. One 5mm spacer, and lots of bar drop. I will hang on to riding this way until it is absolutely impossible. I hope the day never comes when I have to go endurance geometry, tall stacks, and upright positions. I am scared of that day and don't want it to come. Good luck on your decision!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

Why don't you get the NDR? Completely different to the rest of your bikes.
Chasse patate

Stickman

by Stickman

Do you want to spend big on a new bike, knowing it will only get less and less comfortable and less likely that you'll want to ride it?

Personally I'd go for the bike that will keep me wanting to ride regularly. If you get the racier bike it might turn into the "classic restored car" that is your pride and joy but, really, is a pain to drive, so it sits in the garage 360 days of the year.

VamP

by VamP

50 isn't old - I am turning 50 this year FFS :-D

I always go for the racier option, so Air for me. I wouldn't want to ride the NDR I don't think.

peted76

by peted76

Personally, I'd go with the 10NDR, but that's based on the fact I think it looks great and that it'll give you something which should feel a bit different to your stable of race bikes. However it's all really about how you ride, if you're going for some longer rides, maybe you'll feel better at the end with the NDR, personally I can do a long ride on my racy TCR or my 28mm tyred disc braked winter/tourer, I'll feel better at the end on my tourer but at what pace and over what terrain?

Shrike

by Shrike

10NDR by a mile. It looks amazing. Love how techy it looks. Sits so purposefully. One of the greatest endurance bikes in terms of style. You have an Aeroad, really doubt anything will feel as quick which for me would rule out another 'fast' bike unless it was something really interesting.

Miller

by Miller

So you'll end up with 5 of what are essentially race bikes? You have enough of those, why not get something different that will take a wide tyre and carry you into mixed terrain. I'm older than you and despite no history of off-road the most fun I've had in the past two years has been dipping a toe in the UK version of the gr*vel scene. Getting relaxed on continuously varying surfaces has been quite a learning curve.

AJS914

by AJS914

However, I just turned 50 and have to admit that some days the body doesn’t respond like it use to. Longer rides can be harder. I’m not as flexible as I once was.
Once you get to a certain age, a core/back routine and weight lifting really helps!

glepore

by glepore

I have a Uno Air, and am 58 and fit. Tough call. The Uno rides pretty much like an aero bike, harshish. Maybe not as bad as some, but its no SR. What I'd really want is the NDR rear without the tallish headtube, but I guess you could compensate with a steepish stem until you needed the height (if ever).

If you're going to keep the Aeroroad then the NDR is the obvious choice. The Aeroroad and the 10 are too much alike aside from style.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I recently bought a new bike based on how it rides, not on how it looks. I'm 47. Go for the one that will put smiles on your face. Forget about style or what other people think. And oh, I got the Ergon suspension seatpost and it's amazing. I did a 110km ride yesterday and I was fresh after the ride.

Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joelpace

by joelpace

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:43 pm
However, I just turned 50 and have to admit that some days the body doesn’t respond like it use to. Longer rides can be harder. I’m not as flexible as I once was.
Once you get to a certain age, a core/back routine and weight lifting really helps!
Absolutely. I’ve started planking and yoga. I’ll go down swinging!

AJS914

by AJS914

I've magically healed all my back issues with a core routine. I started weight training using circuit machines in December and is is definitely helping.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

For road bikes I'd prefer the Air because I wan to go fast and I think you can do pretty much any hardpack/gravel surface if you have developed the right skills, I'd hate sitting higher and going slower on the road, I have an endurance bike, I don't hate it, but I'd always prefer something racier.

But looking at your stable you'd just be buying almost something you already have. Spend your money on something else, a 120mm full suspension mountain bike, a road bike holiday maybe with a guide to a cycling mecca or learn how to ride a motorcycle if you don't already and do a track day or two with instruction to hone those descending skills.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I'd have to say i agree with those saying - get something different.
I really don't see what need is there for a bike that is virtually same as the others.
Is it cosmetical you look for or plain vanity?
Go for a premium gravel bike and expand your riding.
It's super fun btw ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com