Problems with magnetic belt campagnolo eps

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemomaya

by nemomaya

good to all, I mounted a Campagnolo Record EPS V3 in the C60 column, it works very well, but I can not find with the magnetic belt the correct position to disconnect the EPS when it is not used, now I do not worry, but in summer when on vacation and do not use it for three weeks, what will happen? I have to worry? thanks to all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Is the power unit in the seat tube, or in the seatpost?
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

nemomaya

by nemomaya

graeme_f_k wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:49 pm

I IGNORE IT, I AM ON THE MECHANIC THAT IS NOW OUT AND I CAN NOT LOCATE IT, BUT I HAVE TRIED PUTTING THE TAPE IN DIFFERENT POINTS AND NOTHING. sorry for capital letters

nemomaya

by nemomaya

graeme_f_k wrote:

sorry for my English. I wanted to say, that my mechanic is out of town, I do not know if he is in a tube, or in the seatpost. I have tested in different tube and seatpost sites and I can not turn it off

Boshk

by Boshk

nemomaya wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm
graeme_f_k wrote:

sorry for my English. I wanted to say, that my mechanic is out of town, I do not know if he is in a tube, or in the seatpost. I have tested in different tube and seatpost sites and I can not turn it off
Can you not mark your saddle height with tape, then remove the seat post very carefully and slowly....and look for it?

nemomaya

by nemomaya

I'll have to do that. Thank you

Miller

by Miller

If you're not using your EPS bike it does not matter if you can't use the magnet to turn the system off. The battery will very gradually lose charge, as batteries do anyway. Nothing else will happen.

The magnet belt is useful when transporting the bike and you don't want something accidentally pressing on an EPS switch, or when working on the EPS itself and disconnecting and connecting components.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you need to take out your seatpost and see where the battery is for starters. then you need to install the battery on the bottle cage mounts if possible. on some frames, it is not possible because the rivets extend too far. otherwise, you can secure it using thick foam (so it won't move) and stick in your seattube, then use magnet to turn off system. mark seattube with tape and you are done. eps v2 is quite the pain.

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

mike wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:53 pm
you need to take out your seatpost and see where the battery is for starters. then you need to install the battery on the bottle cage mounts if possible. on some frames, it is not possible because the rivets extend too far. otherwise, you can secure it using thick foam (so it won't move) and stick in your seattube, then use magnet to turn off system. mark seattube with tape and you are done. eps v2 is quite the pain.
Don't secure it with thick foam. Use one of the 5 correct mounting solutions that Campag provide.
In common with Di2 batteries, being foam-wrapped can cause overheating problems during charging. This will not be a valid warranty claim.
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

Miller wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:10 pm
If you're not using your EPS bike it does not matter if you can't use the magnet to turn the system off. The battery will very gradually lose charge, as batteries do anyway. Nothing else will happen.

The magnet belt is useful when transporting the bike and you don't want something accidentally pressing on an EPS switch, or when working on the EPS itself and disconnecting and connecting components.
OP was a while ago but I saw this thread continued after my last post (actually, @Calnago drew my attention to it) ... Thought that for reference it would be useful to make the following observations:

In common with all Li-Ion batteries, fully discharged cells left fully discharged for a significant time period (IME >1 month) will become progressively less able to accept, retain or correctly deliver charge.

Hence, it's a good idea to switch an EPS-equippe bike off in long-term storage, applying the magnetic band / plugging in the magnet significantly increases the timespan over which the cell will discharge because the self-diagnosis subroutine that the PU runs on the system (approx every 15 sec) is disabled when the system is switched off. Small though the drain required for that subroutine is, given the frequency with which it runs, it will discharge a fully charged, brand new v2 EPS battery over many markets' typical "winter storage" time.

Storage temperature is also a factor - very low (<-20C) and very high (>50C) storage temperatures can significantly increase the natural charge degradation time.

For this reason we advise all OEMs, wholesalers and retailers to have a robust policy with regard to charging of EPS PUs / built bikes in stock. Some heed the advice, some don't.

An EPS PU that becomes "undervolted" is NOT covered under any Campagnolo Warranty as the charging and switch-off advice is clearly given in the instruction manual.