Ultegra R8050 Di2 v Dura Ace 9100 Mechanical - weight and performance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ggman

by ggman

I am planning and gathering parts for a build and want to know the difference in weight and performance between Ultegra R8050 Di2 v Dura Ace 9100 Mechanical. Both are roughly the same price.

I have the following claimed weights of Ultegra Di2 v DA:
Shifters: 295g v 365g
Front Deraileur: 132g v 70g
Rear Derailerur: 240g v 158g
Total: 667g v 593g

I have not included chain, cassette, pedals, brakes or chainset as those are decided already.

I do not have the weights of the electronic Di2 stuff, junction box, cables, battery etc. and do not know how much brake and gear cables with housing roughly weigh either.

Can anyone help? Does anyone have experience with the two groupsets? What would you go for?
2017 CAAD12 Black Inc (budget-ish build in planning stage https://goo.gl/Mh4PZg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Just built my Di2 bike, so here is the weight list of miscellanies Di2 stuff (although I actually went with the internal junction A).

--confirmed--
battery 52g
Junction A 10g
Junction B 4g
wireless unit 2g

--estimated-- (depending on your frame size)
cable (Rear) 6g
cable (Front) 4g
cable (battery) 6g
cable (junction) 10g
cable (sti) 4g
cable (sti) 4g

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Here are some threads that contain some discussions on this topic:

DA 9100 mechanical vs Ultegra Di2 R8000 - Build Advice
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149175

Shimano Road Groupset Weight
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147665&p=1349707#p1349707

Hope this helps!

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Here's a chart with all the 9100 mechanical weights, including an estimated 90g for cables. Granted, I don't know what kinds of cables they're speccing and I'm sure you could get lighter.
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites/de ... eights.pdf

And the Etube parts are all the same regardless of ultegra vs Dura ace Di2, so the 98g estimate should be about right for all of it.

In the end it doesn't seem like there's much between them weight-wise. At least in a way that would be noticeable on the road. I know it's WW but IMO the quality of life upgrade that is Di2 would be worth whatever small weight penalty you'd pay. It's just consistently perfect. Shifts under load. No maintenance. No cable stretch. No dropped chains. Just perfect, instantaneous shifts.

Have you ridden a Di2 bike before? If not, I'd try to switch with a friend for a couple miles on a ride or try to get a shop to let you test one or something. I would liken riding a bike with Di2 for the first time to my experience riding a nice road bike for the first time, after having commuted on a lugged steel monster for years. It's a world of difference.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The differences are more in the functionality rather than the weight I think.

Think about how you wanna use your bike. Mechanical is a bit more servicable so good for travel/long distance.

Di2 is great for accurate and maintenance free shifts.

/a

ggman

by ggman

@Kazoyle I think I definitely need to try out a Di2 bike to fully experience it. I am building my first nice road bike. My current roadie is a lump of a bike that weighs in at nearly 10kg and trying to make my new build just under 7kg. Interesting that the perfomance difference between top end mechanical DA to Ultegra Di2 is that noticeable is interesting and has completely thrown a spanner in the works for my build plans...

@alcatraz I will be using the bike for summer training and hopefully going to try and get into racing.

The frame for my new build is matt black and aesthetically DA just looks so much better. Ultegra is an odd shiny grey colour and can sometimes look stuck on when put on black bikes compared to DA where it looks a lot more intergrated into the bike.

Suppose what I need to make my mind up on is what is more important, aesthetics or performance...
2017 CAAD12 Black Inc (budget-ish build in planning stage https://goo.gl/Mh4PZg)

Kazyole

by Kazyole

ggman wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:18 pm
@Kazoyle I think I definitely need to try out a Di2 bike to fully experience it. I am building my first nice road bike. My current roadie is a lump of a bike that weighs in at nearly 10kg and trying to make my new build just under 7kg. Interesting that the perfomance difference between top end mechanical DA to Ultegra Di2 is that noticeable is interesting and has completely thrown a spanner in the works for my build plans...

@alcatraz I will be using the bike for summer training and hopefully going to try and get into racing.

The frame for my new build is matt black and aesthetically DA just looks so much better. Ultegra is an odd shiny grey colour and can sometimes look stuck on when put on black bikes compared to DA where it looks a lot more intergrated into the bike.

Suppose what I need to make my mind up on is what is more important, aesthetics or performance...
You should be able to achieve that, ~7kg with ultegra Di2. What frame are you putting it on? Wheels? You could also always just buy the upgrade kit instead of the full group and pick up a lighter crankset elsewhere. Before I started seriously trying to save weight on my R5 I had ultegra di2 6770 on there, a heavy crankset, DA C24 wheels, and was right around 7kg. The newer ultegra Di2 I believe is significantly lighter.

It's definitely noticeably different. It's an entirely different system. Shifts are faster, crisper, etc. You can shift under a much greater load on the front, and the FD auto trim is a great feature. You can also set up synchro shift so that when you shift the big ring, it'll also move a couple gears on the rear to minimize the immediate drop/gain in cadence. Also noticeable in that you're pushing buttons vs throwing mechanical levers, so there's no effort behind it in your hands. It's a minor thing, but at the end of a long ride when you're dead tired it's nice to have.

Conza

by Conza

ggman wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 pm
Can anyone help? Does anyone have experience with the two groupsets? What would you go for?
I am usually DA all the way. Had 9000 mech, rim brakes. Then had a new (temp bike), DA 9100 mech, rim brakes.

Felt big step up there; click wise, shifting etc. but my other one was real old and had a few crashes.

In any case - Dream Bike now - Ultegra Di2 latest, disc brakes.

I prefer it over the mechanical 9100, easily. The disc too.
It's all about the adventure :o .

ggman

by ggman

Kazyole wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:57 pm
ggman wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:18 pm

You should be able to achieve that, ~7kg with ultegra Di2. What frame are you putting it on? Wheels? You could also always just buy the upgrade kit instead of the full group and pick up a lighter crankset elsewhere. Before I started seriously trying to save weight on my R5 I had ultegra di2 6770 on there, a heavy crankset, DA C24 wheels, and was right around 7kg. The newer ultegra Di2 I believe is significantly lighter.

It's definitely noticeably different. It's an entirely different system. Shifts are faster, crisper, etc. You can shift under a much greater load on the front, and the FD auto trim is a great feature. You can also set up synchro shift so that when you shift the big ring, it'll also move a couple gears on the rear to minimize the immediate drop/gain in cadence. Also noticeable in that you're pushing buttons vs throwing mechanical levers, so there's no effort behind it in your hands. It's a minor thing, but at the end of a long ride when you're dead tired it's nice to have.
I am building up a CAAD12 Black Inc size 54 with 1500g wheels so not the lighest set up. I have a Hollowgram SI crankset in the post which should help. I have a link to a spreadsheet in my signature if anyone is interested in looking at my planned build and what parts I am hoping to use etc. You'll see that I am also trying to be a penny weenie! :D
Conza wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:14 am
ggman wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 pm
I am usually DA all the way. Had 9000 mech, rim brakes. Then had a new (temp bike), DA 9100 mech, rim brakes.

Felt big step up there; click wise, shifting etc. but my other one was real old and had a few crashes.

In any case - Dream Bike now - Ultegra Di2 latest, disc brakes.

I prefer it over the mechanical 9100, easily. The disc too.
I do hear the DA 9100 is noticeably different to previous generations especially in the front mech. Does this trickle down to Ultegra Di2 R8050?

dricked

by dricked

Why not piece together a di2 groupset? DA levers/crankset and Ultegra deraillerurs. From what I’ve read the derailleurs don’t give up any shift performance, just a few gram weight penalty. The DA crank will be lighter and the levers will be top notch. Saves you some money instead of a full DA setup but you don’t have to compromise much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com