Bianchi Oltre Xr4 frame size

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

didin

by didin

Hi there,

I'm planning an Oltre XR4 build and not sure which frame size to choose.
I'm 174cm with 81cm inseam and at the moment riding a 2014 Scott Foil in size S (52) with actually 105mm drop from saddle to bar.
Since I generally like smaller frames with a good ammount of drop and seat post extension I'm unsure whether taking a size 50 or 53.
Reach ist more or less the same but drop differs by nearly 3cm. With 120mm Vision metron bars (-6 degrees) i would be 10 to 15mm lower than my actual position on the foil with the -8degree Deda stem...
Anyone here with the same measures that rides a Bianchi in either 50 or 53 and can give me some input / pictures?

Thanks a lot,

Didi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

didin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:00 pm
Hi there,

I'm planning an Oltre XR4 build and not sure which frame size to choose.
I'm 174cm with 81cm inseam and at the moment riding a 2014 Scott Foil in size S (52) with actually 105mm drop from saddle to bar.
Since I generally like smaller frames with a good ammount of drop and seat post extension I'm unsure whether taking a size 50 or 53.
Reach ist more or less the same but drop differs by nearly 3cm. With 120mm Vision metron bars (-6 degrees) i would be 10 to 15mm lower than my actual position on the foil with the -8degree Deda stem...
Anyone here with the same measures that rides a Bianchi in either 50 or 53 and can give me some input / pictures?

Thanks a lot,

Didi
I'm roughly your height and ride a 50cm XR4 with Vision Metron 5D integrated bar with 100mm stem. The bike fits me like a glove.
My TCR is a Small, and Allez 52cm.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

didin

by didin

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. What size are you exacly and what saddle height do you ride? How much drop do you have from saddle to bars?
100mm stem seems quite short to me? In comparison to my foil I would need a 120mm stem, but I'm not familiar with the 5d's special form and geometry ...
Do you have a pic from the side of your Bike?
Thanks a Lot,

Didi

silvalis

by silvalis

didin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:33 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. What size are you exacly and what saddle height do you ride? How much drop do you have from saddle to bars?
100mm stem seems quite short to me? In comparison to my foil I would need a 120mm stem, but I'm not familiar with the 5d's special form and geometry ...
Thanks a Lot,

Didi
the 50cm frame comes with a 100mm stem/400mm metron 5d bar standard. the 53 comes with a 110mm/420mm bar. FWIW a 53 xr4 is about the same reac/stack as a S foil. A 50 XR4 has similar reach but almost 30mm lower.
Chasse patate

didin

by didin

didin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:33 pm
Hi,

Thanks a Lot,

Didi

Hi Noctiluxx,

could you please give me some further infos?

Thanx a lot,

Didi

gofry

by gofry

Posted in the oltre xr4 topic as well:
Hi Guys,
I'm lost...I was using an XS from Canyone aeroad (with the default 90 mm integrated handlebar) and same with the Ultimate newest gen. I was using a previous ultimate size XS with 100 -10 stem. Sitting at 67.4, saddle tip to handlebar c: 51 cm.
I was looking at the 50 and 47 of the oltre xr4 disc. If merely looking at the numbers except the reach 50 would be the good fit, what worried me is the reach:
385 for the 50, which is the same as the 53 and about a 1 cm more than on the canyons.
The reach of the 47 bia is the same as the canyons, but in every aspect the 47 is way smaller....so I don't get it, reach calculation at bianchi seems to be awkward.
Thanks a lot
Attachments
oltre disc 47-50-53.png
ultimate.png
aeroad.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gofry wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:11 am
Hi Guys,
I'm lost...I was using an XS from Canyone aeroad (with the default 90 mm integrated handlebar) and same with the Ultimate newest gen. I was using a previous ultimate size XS with 100 -10 stem. Sitting at 67.4, saddle tip to handlebar c: 51 cm.
I was looking at the 50 and 47 of the oltre xr4 disc. If merely looking at the numbers except the reach 50 would be the good fit, what worried me is the reach:
385 for the 50, which is the same as the 53 and about a 1 cm more than on the canyons.
The reach of the 47 bia is the same as the canyons, but in every aspect the 47 is way smaller....so I don't get it, reach calculation at bianchi seems to be awkward.
Thanks a lot

As you go down in size from 53-50-47cm, the seat tube angles are getting more steep, the head tube angles are shallower. The smaller two sizes also have 1cm less BB drop. Basically the bikes are more or less the same length/wheelbase, but they are being squashed vertically. This is a consequence of using 700c wheels.

If you want the same fit as your Aeroad on a 50cm Oltre, that would require 1cm in spacers and then stem length would be somewhere in between 80-90mm. Of course it doesn't look like the packaged Vision Metron 5D comes in <100mm... (the 6D comes in 400mm x 90mm)

gofry

by gofry

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 am
gofry wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:11 am
Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot

As you go down in size from 53-50-47cm, the seat tube angles are getting more steep, the head tube angles are shallower. The smaller two sizes also have 1cm less BB drop. Basically the bikes are more or less the same length/wheelbase, but they are being squashed vertically. This is a consequence of using 700c wheels.

If you want the same fit as your Aeroad on a 50cm Oltre, that would require 1cm in spacers and then stem length would be somewhere in between 80-90mm. Of course it doesn't look like the packaged Vision Metron 5D comes in <100mm... (the 6D comes in 400mm x 90mm)
Yeah this is why I opted towards the 47 , since having a 100mm stem would be too long.
Yeah the spacers would be 1.5..but still

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Short riders run shorter cranks, therefore it is possible to drop bb down lower to get lower center of gravity without impacting ground-crank clearance in corner. Many considerate bikes make use of such advantage and giving smaller sizes more bb drop than larger sizes (as well as using small-size specific fork with more fork rake to preserve good handling like bigger size rather than simply slacken head tube alone with the one-size-fit-all fork and screw Trail value).

Bianchi do the opposite, bring bb up higher on smaller size to ease production and design convenient of not having to deal with short head tube and any potential issue of {low amount of (aero) seat post insertion in short seat tube with wheel cut out}.

gofry

by gofry

Thanks both of you guys. I stuck with the 47 then. Not much difference, but a huge difference in reach

topt

by topt

Hi, does anybody have the info about the vision metron sizes for 55 and 57 frame ?

pmehra

by pmehra

LBS said you get 110X42 with those sizes

pmehra

by pmehra

By the way, I'm 171 cm and ride the 50 cm with 110mm stem. 50 cm should work unless your setback is further back- in that case go with 53,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

I'm 178 cm and ride a 53 with 120 stem (Metron 5D). Fit's me like glove.
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4 eTap
2019 BMC Timemachine Road 01 Di2
2018 BMC Roadmachine 02 Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2