Wear triathalon shoes for road ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I like how easy my foot can move in and out of triathalon shoes by lossening/tightening with only one buckle. for example the Lake TX312. Would there be any power transfer issues due to the lack of buckles/straps to keep my foot from moving?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

nrsnow wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:00 pm
I like how easy my foot can move in and out of triathalon shoes by lossening/tightening with only one buckle. for example the Lake TX312. Would there be any power transfer issues due to the lack of buckles/straps to keep my foot from moving?
For steady state efforts, it should make no difference. For super hard 5 or 10 sec sprints where you are pulling up on the pedals, then it might. You will probably get a lot of people telling you they "feel" the better power transfer of a tighter fitting shoe but, unless they have done a comparision with repeated tests on a power meter, that falls into the realm of an anecdotal sensation, not a true "loss" of power.

If I'm looking at the same model Lake TX312 as you are, it actually has 3 closures, which is a whole other ballgame from the tri shoes that only have a single strap at the top with no other adjustment. I think the idea with the Lake is that you can get the velcro straps dialed in to conform to your foot closely, and then just use the rear boa dial to enter/exit quickly. I wouldn't have any concerns about this, and in some ways, that boa in the back could allow an even closer fit than a road shoe. If you find your foot moving around on a ride, you can always tweak the velcro independantly.