Do stiff shoes transmit a lot more vibration?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tabl10s

by tabl10s

izza wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 pm
All depends on your feet. Orthotic supports do nothing for people with solid arches (like me) or those with flat feet. The arch support only works for those with an arch that collapses with pressure.

As for the remainder of the insole the soreness in feet often arises from repeated pressure on the nerves in the sole of the feet. I also found that Spesh BG insoles are very good in this respect.

First thing to just ride. If no problems then it’s an invalid concern. If you get soreness after 15-20 mins, after your ride then first test is to lightly place your foot on the ground - all your weight being on the other foot. Then transfer weight onto the foot you are studying. Is there a change in shape? That will tell you if supporting arches will do anything for you.

Then consider insoles in relation to level of padding, arch support and nerve protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have flat feet to the point that my were rotated forward and down to the right!!! My orthotics have three raised area's that actually support my feet. If I don't wear them, I'll be in trouble within a couple of days with a worst case scenario of the muscles around my skull constricting.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

tabl10s

by tabl10s

izza wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 pm
All depends on your feet. Orthotic supports do nothing for people with solid arches (like me) or those with flat feet. The arch support only works for those with an arch that collapses with pressure.

As for the remainder of the insole the soreness in feet often arises from repeated pressure on the nerves in the sole of the feet. I also found that Spesh BG insoles are very good in this respect.

First thing to just ride. If no problems then it’s an invalid concern. If you get soreness after 15-20 mins, after your ride then first test is to lightly place your foot on the ground - all your weight being on the other foot. Then transfer weight onto the foot you are studying. Is there a change in shape? That will tell you if supporting arches will do anything for you.

Then consider insoles in relation to level of padding, arch support and nerve protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not true. I have flat feet, Osteo/Rheumatoid arthritis in both knees and multiple tears in each meniscus. Two years ago, I started going to a Chiropractor. I was in such bad shape that my hips were rotated forward, to the right and down.

Custom orthotics and adjustments have corrected the major issues.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Geoff wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 pm
When we switched from leather Sabatini shoes to nylon Adidas Eddy Merckx, one of the things that I noticed was that, on the hottest days (mid-30s), my feet could get a little 'tingle'. When I switched from nylon to carbon, that 'tingle' could become very painful (like, I-can't-finish-this-ride painful).
It's tricky to pin down a cause there - because the fit has also changed. Switching from a leather shoe that has formed around your foot to a synthetic shoe that initially feels just as snug is actually going to result in your foot being more restricted.

I'd certainly say that the insole is important - for instance when I switch from riding my winter socks to super thin summer socks I become susceptible to a bit of pain under the bones of my left foot and that's a difference of what, 1mm of padding? But it's quite noticeable.

It's also worth noting that some shoe companies build a bit of flex into their soles. Sidi make the part of the sole that's in front of the cleat a little softer to reduce road buzz, and Giant's freaky lookng Exobeam soles are designed to enable the shoe to twist slightly while remaining outrageously stiff vertically. The Scott Torsion Fork outsole does a similar thing.