Tyres, Challenge vs Vittoria?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I am slightly confused!

I test road a Cipo Bond in the summer, and ordered and built the bike. I have had a good 35mile ride on the bike, same setup, expect the tyres.

Both had latex tubes, as I used my own wheels and saddle on the demo bike. I have the Corsa+ tyres, and the demo was running Challenge Crits.

The bike doesnt feel as comfortable, in terms of dampened road buzz/imperfections.

In others opinions who have tried both, is the difference in the two tyres that different?

Thanks
Luke

wingguy

by wingguy

Silly question first, but were the two rides in the same place?

Second, did you have more miles in the bank in the weeks before your summer ride than you have recently?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PLuKE

by PLuKE

wingguy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:58 pm
Silly question first, but were the two rides in the same place?

Second, did you have more miles in the bank in the weeks before your summer ride than you have recently?
Same route for the most part.

Massively! first ride since October! *gulp* I guess that has a massive part to play.

The Challenge was 23c 95psi, my Corsa+ are 23 front 25c rear and running around 90psi.

Luke

wingguy

by wingguy

PLuKE wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:07 pm
Massively! first ride since October! *gulp* I guess that has a massive part to play.
It's the whole shooting match. You wouldn't be able to accurately tell the difference between the Bond last summer and a Roubaix today after 3 months off the bike, let alone the Bond with a different set of high end tyres. I've had to borrow cheap soft saddles to use coming back from a lay-off because my normally brilliant for a century, thinly padded ones were pulverising my sitbones after 20 miles.

Don't Panic. :wink:

PLuKE

by PLuKE

wingguy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:01 pm
PLuKE wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:07 pm
It's the whole shooting match. You wouldn't be able to accurately tell the difference between the Bond last summer and a Roubaix today after 3 months off the bike, let alone the Bond with a different set of high end tyres. I've had to borrow cheap soft saddles to use coming back from a lay-off because my normally brilliant for a century, thinly padded ones were pulverising my sitbones after 20 miles.

Don't Panic. :wink:
I shall ride this for several months and see how they feel. The 25c in the rear is pretty tight fit around the bridge of the rear brake! which I dont like.

I did a 35ish miles and boy did my arse taking a beating!

Luke

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

well you have a bigger tyre on the back for a start. not riding a bike for 3 month how do you cope. I'd get widthdrawl symptons and fat.

mortirolo

by mortirolo

I can't rode more than 50 km without puncture on my challenge clincher tires, but

vittoria CX, Corsa tubular (10.000km)
continental attack and force (12.000km)
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

Marin

by Marin

If the Challenge was a 320tpi casing then it would have had a better ride. I don't find the current Vittorias (run them on the commuter) that smooth, the old Open Pavés were much better.

morganb

by morganb

I've had really bad luck with Challenge tires, outside of their cross tubulars. Durability issues, rolling off of rims due to extremely poor tolerances, blow offs with aluminum rims, and all sorts of other quality issues.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

morganb wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:11 pm
I've had really bad luck with Challenge tires, outside of their cross tubulars. Durability issues, rolling off of rims due to extremely poor tolerances, blow offs with aluminum rims, and all sorts of other quality issues.
+1. Their cross tubs are magnificent (Grifo, Chicane, at least the Team version I have), but for some strange reason the smaller tires feel much different. And not in a good way.

dim

by dim

Marin wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 am
If the Challenge was a 320tpi casing then it would have had a better ride. I don't find the current Vittorias (run them on the commuter) that smooth, the old Open Pavés were much better.
I've used the Vittoria Open Pave CG III, but I won't buy them again (320 Tpi, but they felt like Durano Plus and pinch flat often if you don't keep them pumped up hard and ride on bumpy roads ( I retired them at 2,394.2 km but had many pinch flats when they were still fresh) ...

the best clinchers (by far) that I have used (and am still using on my daily commute bike) are Specialized Turbo Cotton (open tubular 320 Tpi) ... I'm using normal tubes but will try the next pair on my fast bike with latex tubes

so far, I have ridden 1764 Km with only 1 puncture on the front due to a very sharp shard of glass that would have punctured a Volvo bus tyre ... and I'm riding on crappy roads during winter

grip like superglue in the dry and wet and are fast and very plush/comfy ... Downside is that they are expensive, (not really as if you compare the price to good tubeless tyres, they are on par)

I think that they will start wearing thin after 2500km .... but I dont mind paying the extra and replacing every so often ... these are KOM fast and the nice thing is that you actually want to peddle faster with these
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

PLuKE

by PLuKE

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 pm
well you have a bigger tyre on the back for a start. not riding a bike for 3 month how do you cope. I'd get widthdrawl symptons and fat.
Easy! colder months, and being lazy!

Thanks for the reply!

PLuKE

by PLuKE

dim wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm
Marin wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 am
I've used the Vittoria Open Pave CG III, but I won't buy them again (320 Tpi, but they felt like Durano Plus and pinch flat often if you don't keep them pumped up hard and ride on bumpy roads ( I retired them at 2,394.2 km but had many pinch flats when they were still fresh) ...

the best clinchers (by far) that I have used (and am still using on my daily commute bike) are Specialized Turbo Cotton (open tubular 320 Tpi) ... I'm using normal tubes but will try the next pair on my fast bike with latex tubes

so far, I have ridden 1764 Km with only 1 puncture on the front due to a very sharp shard of glass that would have punctured a Volvo bus tyre ... and I'm riding on crappy roads during winter

grip like superglue in the dry and wet and are fast and very plush/comfy ... Downside is that they are expensive, (not really as if you compare the price to good tubeless tyres, they are on par)

I think that they will start wearing thin after 2500km .... but I dont mind paying the extra and replacing every so often ... these are KOM fast and the nice thing is that you actually want to peddle faster with these
Love the "Volvo bus tyre" :lol:

I have heard many a good word on the Turbo Cottons, will have to keep those in mind.

Good to see 2 people in in Suffolk also.

Luke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

You get the same casing in the Vredestein Superiore, and the rubber can't be that bad.