Steel or titanium? Passoni, speedvagen, festka, pegoretti

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

azriaziz

by azriaziz

Hi guys,

Ive got a wilier zero7 with di2, ee brakes, thm cranks, mcfk bars, stem and posts. Its around 6.4kg with enve ses 3.4 with 28m tires.

Im looking to get another ride thats comfortable for touring/all round riding, and quick. In able to keep up with the guys at 28-30kmh but find it harder to cross over to keeping up at 35kmh. Ideally looking for something thats considerably differrent to how my wilier now rides. Im a heavy rider (+100kg)

Im considering the passoni xxti, speedvagen og1/superlightroad, festka doppler, pegoretti ble.

Any thoughts on what would be the best move for me?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Sounds like you need fitness if the main issue is getting dropped on the faster rides. A heavier ti or steel bike isn't going to help. More time on the bike, lose weight, more aeros.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marin

by Marin

The small amount of added weight of a metal frame won't make any difference to your performance.

Any of the listed frames will build into a fast bike. Go with the one that will make you ride the most. Do you need full custom? Consider waiting times too!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Maybe a power meter/hrm could help you to find out which position on the bike will produce more power comfortably. Factor in an aero position into that and some power training and you should be able to keep up better.

What exactly is it about the zero7 you think makes you unable to keep up?

/a

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Hopefully you are kidding...

Sounds like first world problem thinking that you would get instantly fit with expensive and fashionable gear. Fact is you are not going to get any speed with any new frame or wheels. Real aero adavantage is coming after ~35kmh+. Your present bike is already top level.

I would understand this if it would be like a reward after dropping 10-15kg weight but trying to get more speed with steel frame. No way.

Wookski

by Wookski

Buy another bike- it will motivate you to ride more. Remove Festka from your list and you can’t go wrong!

fa63

by fa63

A new bike might make you faster, if it motivates you to go out and ride more as already mentioned.

Out of that list, I would go for the Speedvagen, based purely on looks.

cassard

by cassard

I'd invest in training instead

Hellgate

by Hellgate

333fab

But as already mentioned you need greater fitness.

The performance difference between a good 105 bike and tricked out Dura Ace sled is nil.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

Don't get custom build frame before you are in proper shape. You'll end up with a frame, that isn't aggressive enough for your riding style, since your fitness will have emproved.

Set a goal of loosing x amount of kg, and when you have achieved the right fitness, reward yourself with custom.

Remove speedvagen from you list and add Firefly instead. After having read numerous posts about speedvagen, I have come to the understanding that the low level of finish can't justify the pricetag.

Wookski

by Wookski

Multebear wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 pm
Don't get custom build frame before you are in proper shape. You'll end up with a frame, that isn't aggressive enough for your riding style, since your fitness will have emproved.

Set a goal of loosing x amount of kg, and when you have achieved the right fitness, reward yourself with custom.

Remove speedvagen from you list and add Firefly instead. After having read numerous posts about speedvagen, I have come to the understanding that the low level of finish can't justify the pricetag.
Speedvagens are rad as they get you much instagram love. Buy a custom bike now and if you get fitter you can always buy another- based on the brands listed I’m assuming this isn’t going to break the bank so why wait?

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

The only advice I'd give re getting custom bikes is to do so at a time where you're at your normal weight and in good condition. Having lost 10kg but also losing a lot of lower back flexibility due to a non cycling injury I've had to completely change the cockpit on my Parlee and Pegoretti to be comfortable (the 90mm upward sloping stem is not looking as "pro" as the 110mm downward sloping one used to!)

All of those manufacturers will make great bikes. At 100kg if you're a stomper you might want to pass on titanium though due to BB flex.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

soracabana

by soracabana

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com