Cycling shoes - heel lift?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

I'm can't ride the shoes if I want to return them, but some that I've tried on seem to have a bit slip/lift while walking. Would this happen while pedaling as well and should it be considered? I'm guessing so since the shoe would be fastened to the pedal, but wanted double check here. The shoes are the correct size.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Try a bit thicker sock and/or put a bit more tension on the straps. Use a different inlay sole.

Maybe they are the best fitting size of a particular model but maybe the model doesn't fit the shape of your foot. Some models/brands are better for different feet shapes. Have you tried different brands of shoes?

It would be a shame if you ride around in something that could have been fixed with a little patience trying on a few shoes.

If a shoe seems to be a little bit tight I do notice that the problem goes away with a bit with time. The shoe stretches a little bit.

I'm no shoe expert. Just speaking from own experience. I am such a weenie I went from shimano shoes to unbranded taiwanese shoes and use them without insoles. A bit painful at first, now they are comfortable.

/a

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I guess to simply answer your question, yes......if you are getting heel lift while walking, you will probably get it while cycling. Especially standing. You don't want that, so return the shoes for a different size or brand/model. It is easier to find a brand where there is no lift to begin with, than trying to prevent the lift with insoles, different socks, etc. Find a brand with secure heel cups, like Sidi Wire/Shot with the adjustable heel retention system, Sworks6-7 with tight heel cups, etc.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Thanks, it's helpful to know to not pursue these as-is.

Fwiw, the ones with the loose heel are Lake 237's. It's a shame because they are supremely comfortable. Since the upper is leather I'm almost tempted to take them to a cobbler and see if they can do something.

I have extremely wide feet, and Lake and Shimano are pretty much my only options. I also ordered Shimano S-Phyre's to try. They are also very comfortable and have the heel slip as well, but to a lesser extent.

I'll try going down a half size before considering other measures.
2016 Diverge Expert

mattr

by mattr

You could simply pad the top of the heel cup.
And FWIW i get slight heel lift in some of my raciest shoes (carbon soled) when i'm walking/standing around. Nothing when riding as the foot behaves differently.
Depends on how much slight is compared to what you get!

I also try (now) to buy shoes with adjustable heel cups (which is a nice feature) thankfully i'm quite a fan of sidi. ANd they fit well.

wingguy

by wingguy

vinuneuro wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 am
I'm can't ride the shoes if I want to return them, but some that I've tried on seem to have a bit slip/lift while walking. Would this happen while pedaling as well and should it be considered? I'm guessing so since the shoe would be fastened to the pedal, but wanted double check here. The shoes are the correct size.
No way to tell. Any cycling shoe with a stiff sole will give some heel lift if you walk in them without cleats and press the toe of the shoe into the ground. The leverage is way further forward than it will be on the pedals and the shoes aren't designed to deal with it.

robertbb

by robertbb

vinuneuro wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 am
Thanks, it's helpful to know to not pursue these as-is.

Fwiw, the ones with the loose heel are Lake 237's. It's a shame because they are supremely comfortable. Since the upper is leather I'm almost tempted to take them to a cobbler and see if they can do something.

I have extremely wide feet, and Lake and Shimano are pretty much my only options. I also ordered Shimano S-Phyre's to try. They are also very comfortable and have the heel slip as well, but to a lesser extent.

I'll try going down a half size before considering other measures.
Lake CX301's also suffer horrible heel lift that gets worse over time and the material stretches. If u get heel lift already, it will on;y increase. Awesome shoe in every other way (light, comfortable, stiff). Have just switched to Giro Factor Techlace which are just as comfortable but with zero heel lift and I won't look back.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

I've decided to definitely send the Lake's back. Heel area doesn't have enough structure and lining is slick which doesn't give any grip. The tongue is also quite thin so if you increase the rear boa tension it becomes uncomfortable.

Switching to slightly thicker socks has pretty much done the trick for me with the Shimano's. Since the tongue is well padded you can use it effectively to secure the foot.

Thanks for everyone's help.
2016 Diverge Expert

em3

by em3

Oye! Cycling shoes are NOT made for walking....u won’t know if the heels slips until u ride them. This is the equivalent of sending an Assos jersey back (tailored specifically for riding position) because it didn’t look right while STANDING in front of a mirror.

moyboy

by moyboy

The Specialized S-works 6 had the grippiest heels i've ever owned. It was so grippy that the newest version was improved upon and not as snug a fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

You don't necessarily want to tighten up the heel so much on cycling shoes that you can walk in them without any heel lift. You will be putting pressure on your calcaneus and the lower end of your Achilles tendon. It's a great way to end up with a heel spur, bursitis, or other heel problem.

And just putting on a heavy full sock may be an inefficient way to address some slop. Most shoe repair shops will have some stick-on pads that go under the tongue of the shoe and help push your foot back slightly into the heel. However, point 1 still applies: if your heel isn't slipping while riding, you're ok. Walking around is no way to size a shoe.