Do all cycling shoes get bigger as you ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

When I put my Sidi wires on at the start of a ride they are nice and tight. When I take them off three hours later the wires are completely slack. Is this normal? It also happens to my R1Bs. In the winter with shoe covers on its not so easy adjust them on the move.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I find that I often have to tighten my shoes as I ride. Really, you would think the opposite would happen if your feet swell during the ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

I think it depends on the upper material. Any shoe that has nylon mesh as the basis for anti-stretch/support (as in mesh) is going to stretch with heat/humidity. Many other materials are in the same category. I don't think Bonts stretch with heat/humidity, not sure about newer synthetics.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Often this problem is a person's feet actually losing fluid as the ride goes on. Over the course of being upright during the daytime hours, one's feet swell slightly with accumulated blood/fluid. It happens to everyone, gets worse as we all get older. Once riding, the circulation is increased with the increase in heart rate and the fluid is removed from the feet.

Also, a salty meal the day before will cause fluid retention. So will eating a very high carbohydrate diet.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I think having them loosen up a little bit is probably pretty normal, but "completely slack?" That seems like a lot.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TLN

by TLN

My SW6 are still pretty tight, after a season in them
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

avispa

by avispa

Bigger Gear wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:14 pm
Often this problem is a person's feet actually losing fluid as the ride goes on. Over the course of being upright during the daytime hours, one's feet swell slightly with accumulated blood/fluid. It happens to everyone, gets worse as we all get older. Once riding, the circulation is increased with the increase in heart rate and the fluid is removed from the feet....
I have had Sidis that are 3 years old and they feel nice an snug. But I do have expereinced the loose shoe syndrome myself. It does not happen often with me, but I notice it if it's very hot and humid when I ride. I have always ridden with custom insoles and sock brands that are on the thicker side... Swiftwick and ResetSport are my favorites.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com