ENVE vs MCFK

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

I am looking into Factor O2 disc build, need help in deciding on the rims. I will be getting custom wheels with one of the following rims-
ENVE 3.4 / MCFK 55/ ENVE 4.5 disc

MCFK will run about 600$ cheaper.
4.5 might be too wide for my needs.
Will 3.4 be aero enough??

Live in Minneapolis metro are. Good roads with mostly rolling hills and flat terrain.

Any forum member who has experience with these rims??

Thanks!!!

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Have a look at this before deciding on ENVE rims: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fsKeQwplg. Buying a name brand is no guarantee of good quality.

When I built some wheels recently I went for the Light Bicycle RR36 carbon disc rims in 28h (about $180/rim), and spoked them with CX-Rays to DT Swiss 240s centerlock hubs. The entire cost was well under $1000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

Thanks for the input!!

nickstea

by nickstea

I have enves on all 3 of my bikes.
3.4 - gen 1 rim
3.4 - new version
25mm rim brake
3.4 disc

I’ve been riding them hard for 5 years now and never had an issue.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I know nothing of McFk rims but I like the brand and have used stem and seatpost in the past.
Enve on the other hand I’ve had atleast 7 sets of rims and currently own :
2.2 tubs
2.2 clinchers
4.5 clinchers
And I’m looking for 7.8 clinchers
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

It seems that a lot of manufacturers have access to computer dynamic modeling, and the differences between rims seems to be increasingly small; the ones that do tout “advances” have a price point where one wonders if the incremental cost is worth it.

For what it is worth I have Enve 3.4, Zipp 303, Flo 90s, Easton ec90sl (the only disc, for a cross bike). I had the same decision you face (although sticking with rim brake) and almost bought Enve 4.5 but went with Black inc 50s for the Factor. But same rationale as you have for the MCFK (which I don’t have experience with) - decent brand but not at the highest price point.

As for the deepness, if this is your only set of wheels would suggest slightly shallower for the really blustery days. If you do have another set, the slightly deeper 45 or 50 should be fine most of the time, in my opinion. But your typical weather should be what guides you.

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

Thanks all for the input! Another option is Enve 4.5 road clincher vs MCFK 55 disc. At this price point $600 is not a huge issue. Want something that is good and reliable.
Given limited reviews for MCFK might go with the Enve’s as they seem more tested.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I just went through the same decision making; enve 4.5ARs vs MCFK. There is just not enough data to go with MCFK. Then, I heard MCFK already made some changes and made the wheels a little sturdy around the spoke holes, at the cost of adding 20grs? per wheel (don't quote me on the weight penalty...) You can now buy the earlier versions of them from r2-bike at a discount.

I figured, MCFK is going through the "first version" pains, and ordered ENVEs...

morganb

by morganb

NickJHP wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 am
Have a look at this before deciding on ENVE rims: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fsKeQwplg. Buying a name brand is no guarantee of good quality.

When I built some wheels recently I went for the Light Bicycle RR36 carbon disc rims in 28h (about $180/rim), and spoked them with CX-Rays to DT Swiss 240s centerlock hubs. The entire cost was well under $1000.
What was real world weight on these if you got a chance to measure? I've thought about doing these when I get a road disc bike.

hannawald

by hannawald

2old4this wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:24 am
I just went through the same decision making; enve 4.5ARs vs MCFK. There is just not enough data to go with MCFK. Then, I heard MCFK already made some changes and made the wheels a little sturdy around the spoke holes, at the cost of adding 20grs? per wheel (don't quote me on the weight penalty...) You can now buy the earlier versions of them from r2-bike at a discount.

I figured, MCFK is going through the "first version" pains, and ordered ENVEs...
They offered UD version and lighter 3K version from the beginning. Then they stopped offering 3K version (last pieces are at discount at R2-bike), but i haven´t heard it´s for durability reasons. It may have been for manufacturing difficulities or lower demand, who knows:)

I have MCFK 35mm rims, they are tubeless and very light - as a disc wheelset with 240 hubs and CX Rays it is around 1300g, rim around 350g. Holes are not drilled but molded so MCFK recommends them even for CX. So far I am satisfied though I have some doubts that may be I should have gone for deeper profile (at the time I bought them I considered 35mm deep enough - I compared to alu wheels)..I have switched to Scott Foil since then and deeper wheels may be nicer for this type of bike, on the other hand 1300g is 1300g and still some aero..(you always look where to save some weight with disc brake bikes)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

personally i would go with enve. i've owned them before and had no issues. mcfk is too new to the wheel market. however, their stems and all other contact point parts are awesome.

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

Thanks everyone for the input. I have decided to go with Rim brake version of Factor O2 with Enve 4.5 clinchers.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

FTPWhor wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 pm
Thanks everyone for the input. I have decided to go with Rim brake version of Factor O2 with Enve 4.5 clinchers.
good choice... the new enve's braking is excellent and they are aero. Love my 4.5 but wish I would have got 7.8, because I honestly dont use my 4.5 that much.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Bordcla

by Bordcla

If you end up going with Enve 4.5 clinchers and would consider buying pre-owned, let me know, as I have sold the rim brake bike I was using my 4.5s with and converted to disc, so I will be selling my 4.5s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvq

by dvq

I'd probably give MCFK a chance next. I've owned the following ENVEs:

- ENVE 6.7 Clincher - Warrantied because brake track developed a hot spot from overheating with old brake track.
- ENVE 3.4 Tubeless - Warrantied because both wheels had delamination in the bead hooks.
- ENVE 5.6 Disc Tubeless - Currently riding on, but there's a fairly big gap near the bladder plug where I have to cover it up with really wide tape to setup tubeless, and some porosity in the bead hooks.

I love the 5 year warranty on ENVE and all, and their willingness to go out of the way to really do right by the customer -- but I feel like I just wouldn't have these sorts of quality control issues with EVERY pair of ENVE wheels for the last 4 or 5 years with another brand.