Eps installation on a steel Colnago frame ...!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

Any suggestion on how to install Campagnolo eps v3 on a Colnago techno steel frame, I’m willing to drill a 5-6mm hole on down tube for the wire to get into the bb bracket, ( prime/paint/rubber grommet) and the same for the hole needs for the front mech, but any solution for the rear mech ? I’m willing to drill the bottom is the chainstay on the driver side( prime/paint/rubber grommet) to get thing protected for rush, but I’m open to other solution if you guys have done it differently, no want to go with an sram etap, refuse to use etap on an Italian frame ...!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

Neckkoss wrote:Any suggestion on how to install Campagnolo eps v3 on a Colnago techno steel frame, I’m willing to drill a 5-6mm hole on down tube for the wire to get into the bb bracket, ( prime/paint/rubber grommet) and the same for the hole needs for the front mech, but any solution for the rear mech ? I’m willing to drill the bottom is the chainstay on the driver side( prime/paint/rubber grommet) to get thing protected for rush, but I’m open to other solution if you guys have done it differently, no want to go with an sram etap, refuse to use etap on an Italian frame ...!!!!

This is the frame I want to use for this eps installation

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

Neckkoss wrote:
Neckkoss wrote:Any suggestion on how to install Campagnolo eps v3 on a Colnago techno steel frame, I’m willing to drill a 5-6mm hole on down tube for the wire to get into the bb bracket, ( prime/paint/rubber grommet) and the same for the hole needs for the front mech, but any solution for the rear mech ? I’m willing to drill the bottom is the chainstay on the driver side( prime/paint/rubber grommet) to get thing protected for rush, but I’m open to other solution if you guys have done it differently, no want to go with an sram etap, refuse to use etap on an Italian frame ...!!!!

This is the frame I want to use for this eps installation

Image current set up with mechanical super record.

sharkman

by sharkman

I wouldn’t drill the seatstay (known weak spot of Colnago frames, two of mine cracked juat behind the bottom lug)
Nice frame btw. Leave it as it is!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

avispa

by avispa

Neckkoss wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm
Any suggestion on how to install Campagnolo eps v3 on a Colnago techno steel frame, I’m willing to drill a 5-6mm hole on down tube for the wire to get into the bb bracket, ( prime/paint/rubber grommet) and the same for the hole needs for the front mech, but any solution for the rear mech ? I’m willing to drill the bottom is the chainstay on the driver side( prime/paint/rubber grommet) to get thing protected for rush, but I’m open to other solution if you guys have done it differently, no want to go with an sram etap, refuse to use etap on an Italian frame ...!!!!
Do you really want to do this? You are going to have many exposed cables and the mere fact that you are going to have the connectors from the power unit to the derailleurs exposed to the elements is a bad proposition. I would think of getting a used, but in good condition frame that could accomodate electrocnic groups instead. You may need to drill more than one hole and one larger than 6mm to work properly with EPS.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I can’t even watch.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

How are your soldering skills?

I haven't done this but have been investigating the possibility for a steel build. The connectors measure 7mm at the widest part. However the thickest cables (derailleur exterior) is about 3.8mm, but the one that is connected to the PU is about 2.8mm.

Sometimes the old shifter bosses went right through into the frame (I could be way off base on this, just off memory) so I was thinking of cutting the interface connector and running the thin PU wire into the frame from this boss.

If there are holes between the tubes and the BB (usually to let water drain out) then it might be possible to use that. Sometimes there is a drain plug in the bottom of the BB or an opening. I'd go the cut and solder the wire to get to the front derailleur. The rear that's tougher. Looking up "colnago tecnos" in the ole google images shows there is a hole into the chain stays (also a plastic guide on the bottom that is threaded into the BB). If that is the case it may be open at the hanger. If it does, it certainly won't be 7mm but back to the soldering iron and 2.8mm might fit.

So my suggestions, soldering if you've got some experience with electronics but if not the only option is tape / ziptie / etc on the outside or drill some 7mm holes which structurally not so fun.

Obviously, this is full warranty voiding type thing and you've got lithium batteries in the mix, so if you're not comfortable or something goes wrong it's at your own risk. I don't think too many bike shops would be keen to help if a soldering job goes wrong and fries a part.

Also, magnet strap the battery and be careful cutting the cable between the Power Unit and interface. It contains a wire direct to the battery, so you want to remove the black housing and cut the wires individually.

Miller

by Miller

This project is like Brexit - a world of pain with no upside.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

don't do it. for the love of god!

MattN

by MattN

That's such a lovely Tecnos, not many of them around more, I really don't think EPS is the right build for it.

What size is it btw?

glepore

by glepore

Not sure I get this. If I had to have electronic on this frame, etap. I have a technos, and its a happy day cruise bike. Still has Record 9 and Deltas.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Jesus, please tell me you’re kidding. It would be beyond stupid to even attempt it. Even if it could be done correctly EPS would look garish on a classic Colnago.

Digger90

by Digger90

Put eTap on it - with some Campagnolo logos on if you're that fussed.

Shame to ruin a really nice frame by bodging it and drilling holes in it.

ak47

by ak47

Destroying this precious frame is 1000x bigger sacrilege than using SRAM. There's nothing wrong with eTap on a Colnago:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leoseller7

by Leoseller7

Did you ever do the EPS install on your steel bike? Would be interested in how you did it. I'm trying to replicate a modern Italian Steel bike that was custom made to house EPS internal cables, I would like to do it on its great, great grandfather's steel frame. I love how clean the bike looks with EPS cables hidden in my steel frame so I don't know why people are so against it!!!

Looking forward to how you proceeded?

Ryan