rebuilding an Aero & light tribike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dexufto

by dexufto

Due to an unfortunate incident, I am replacing my aging Scott Plasma 2 (pre-2012)
Current set-up includes;
Team HTC Scott Plasma 2 xxs 47" ~1390g
SRAM red F.D 58g
SRAM red R.D 153g
SRAM r2c shifters 198g
Zipp Vumaquad 570g
Dash tri7 98g
Xlab+ Gorilla cage +velcro 220g
Rririg omegaX + Swiss stop Yellowking brake pad 168g
Vision aero brake levers 75g
Tririg AlphaX 650g
Zipp ZEDTECH6 404 front-920g 808 rear-980g
Ti release skewers 42g
RECON 11-25T cogset 95g
Conti Tubular 260g x2Valve rxt 1g x2
Approx 7kg

I am in favour of replacing the frame to a Felt IA 16 or a Cervelo P2 frameset (proven budget frame) while retaining the rest of my groupset/equipments.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

r2c replaced by regular shifters will save you 60gr.

How did you get your red fd to 58gr?

Wheelset is heavy, especially the front. Do the weights include the tubulars?

Because this is a bb30 frame you have a lot of weight saved in the bb/crank. Going away from bb30 will add some.

The felt should be bb30 but the cervelo isn't.

What happened to your scott? You ok?

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

The IA is quite heavy, I don't think I'd start with that for a light build. It's good in other respects.
P2 would probably need to be stripped if you want to get close to the Plasma2 weight as all the paint jobs have been pretty substantial. I can't find where I've recorded the weights for any of the frames I've had through (several notebooks that look the same).

Maybe a lightning 160mm crankset to replace the Vimaquad, shorter would probably be good for you.

AyBee

by AyBee

If weight mattered that much, all the pros would be using road bikes, not tri bikes. I'd rather have aero + a few kgs over light and less aero.

dexufto

by dexufto

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 am
r2c replaced by regular shifters will save you 60gr.
How did you get your red fd to 58gr?
Wheelset is heavy, especially the front. Do the weights include the tubulars?
Because this is a bb30 frame you have a lot of weight saved in the bb/crank. Going away from bb30 will add some.
The felt should be bb30 but the cervelo isn't.
What happened to your scott? You ok?
I started with 900t shifters & Zero-Gs
This got me a 6.86kg

I got my weighs from website, didnt go into weighing each single component.
The total weigh for current bike is just below 7kgs, including the tubulars.

Crash within a peleton as my mate hit a rock as we were crusing at 40kph.
Aging bike and chipped paint job caused me to think about the frame replacement.
Rider had a broken collarbone and ribs, recuperating. Pretty usual for a typical bike incident.
Thanks for your inputs :)

dexufto

by dexufto

cyclenutnz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 am
The IA is quite heavy, I don't think I'd start with that for a light build. It's good in other respects.
P2 would probably need to be stripped if you want to get close to the Plasma2 weight as all the paint jobs have been pretty substantial. I can't find where I've recorded the weights for any of the frames I've had through (several notebooks that look the same).
Maybe a lightning 160mm crankset to replace the Vimaquad, shorter would probably be good for you.
AyBee wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am
If weight mattered that much, all the pros would be using road bikes, not tri bikes. I'd rather have aero + a few kgs over light and less aero.
Agreed, i am willing to gain few for Aero benefits. The IA has some niffty and incredible performance aganist the P5-Six. That caused me to consider.
I have tradded my Zero-G brakes for Tririg, probably the only brake that allows you to go faster. haha.
If i may quote from someone, Aero & Light is Right.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Latest data from Tour Mag
ia.JPG
That's ~1min difference in a 70.3, As far as anyone can figure out the P2/P3 is likely to be closer.
AyBee wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am
We've got to the point that it's so hard to make aero gains in the frames that weight matters again. At least in the context of a Cervelo P5X weighing 1.7kg more than a P5. Low weight won't make up for poor aero, but it's part of the equation if you're looking for the best overall performance (ie a bike needs to be be competitively aero without weighing a lot extra to do so, like the Venge).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com