SHIMANO 9100 VS 8000 SPECIALLY RIM BRAKE AND CRANK SET

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

THE PRICE OF 9100 FOR BRAKE SET AND CRANK SET IS REALLY TWICE OF 8000.
BY THE WAY, I'M WONDERING THE PERFORMANCE ALSO IT'S TWICE? OR A LITTLE?
SOMEBODY SAY IT'S TEAM KILL :) HOW ABOUT YOU?

freehub

by freehub

Innately I am sure you believe as I do that DA9100 isn't nearly worth twice that of 8000. Functionally there is little difference. Mostly weight and aesthetics and weight isn't much of a factor unless building the ultimate climbing bike..or...going for a bling build. Second from the top is always the best sweet spot value in most things. Even 105 is excellent at much lower cost...not much give up in performance other than again some weight diff.
Someone here maybe able to provide a weight difference by component.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

First, turn off the caps...

There's very little difference between the two groups. If money is a factor, you can be perfectly happy with 8000. If the rest of the bike is 9100, and you have the money to keep the group "whole" then do so.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

hogehoge

by hogehoge

9100 Crankset has more choice of crank arm lengths (167.5mm, 177.5mm, 180mm).

reknop

by reknop

I haven't seen a R8000 crank-set in the real world yet ... but the shiny surface finish of the RC9100 crank-set is risky for minor scratches.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

PattiTalks

by PattiTalks

Most of the time the new technologies in the drivetrain for Dura Ace trickles down to Ultegra.
The main difference as already mentioned is price and weight.
People around me that use / have used Dura Ace, mentioned a couple of times that Dura Ace wears out quicker than Ultegra (and 105).
And if you want to go for really lightweight than there are other groupsets that weigh less
One big difference between both groupsets at the moment is that Ultegra R8000 has the offering of a Long Cage rear derailleur that can handle a 11-34 cassette.

I found this articles that has some numbers of weights for components and prices;
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/produ ... ces-349898

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Can't help you on the brakes (still on DA 9000), but I own both cranks. Weight wise mine are 624g vs. 686g (both 172,5 34/50) and I'd dare to say this is the only real difference. I absolutely cannot tell them apart in terms of rigidity or shifting performance. I have swapped between bikes and with eyes shut (no, I don't actually ride like that :lol: ) I cannot tell them apart.

On the matte vs. gloss finish my experience is the opposite of what someone else mentioned. Using same pedals and shoes I have managed to get a bit of rub on the matte Ultegra, where the DA is still perfectly intact. From an aestethic point of view my favorite is the gloss DA, which is obviously very subjective. Value for money, the Ultegra wins hands down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

Performance is not twice, just minimal gains in weight and performance (if any). Lots of reviews of 8000 vs 9100 performance and this generation of Ultegra is the best and closest it's ever been to Dura Ace