wheels for dogma f10 disc

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TobinHatesYou
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

I've almost had my rear 40mm wheel wash out descending Mt Hamilton in 25mph crosswinds. It wasn't a loss of grip but it felt like the rear of my bike was "pushing." I'm definitely glad I didn't use my 5.6s (54/63mm) that day and will probably use my 202 NSWs for really gust days from now on.

by Weenie


alcatraz
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

by alcatraz

Wow. I'm on the trainer on days like those.

Glad you made it home!

/a

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

raiden wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 pm
hi everyone im new to this forum i placed order for dogma f10 disc ever since i placed my order ive been searching for good wheel set that can handle my weight is 120 kg i would like to get set of aero wheels my current my is a bmc roadmachine rm02 it originally came wth dt swiss r24 wheels i would checked them at my lbs every two weeks or so and they needed little bit of truing but now i have changed to dt swiis r32 they seems to work better but i do get them check regularly too
the wheels i have on my mind for the f10 are
zipp 404 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
zipp 303 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
Lightweight Wegweiser C Disc cabon spokes no adjustment
CarbonMavic Comete Pro Carbon SL UST Disc WTS external nipple with thicker spokes
DT Swiss ERC 1100 DICUT DB internal adjustment hard to adjust
anyone have experience with any of the wheels
and you opinion which one would be stiffer and easier to live with
any other wheels you would suggest in db version

at your size i wouldn't touch a pair of factory wheels..
you need higher spoke count custom wheels from a good builder who's built wheels for bigger dudes before.
low count factory wheels that have hubs designed to make machine lacing easier are not what i would recommend.
I'd lean towards some white industry XMRs ( steel axles and a ti freehub ) in 32h with a good sturdy rim to mach.. e.g. a belguim + disk or a custom drilled medium depth carbon rim ( very hard to find of a worth while brand in the spoke count you need )

raiden
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

by raiden

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:25 am
Also don't be too worried about Zipp weights vs the competition. Their weights, AFAIK, include everything pre-installed.

My Zipp 202 NSW Disc rims weigh 1482g with QR endcaps, valves, valve caps and tubeless tape. They weigh 5g less with 12mm thru axle caps installed.
zipp are not lightest compare to other brands but heavy either how do you like 202 are they stiff and snappy

raiden
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

by raiden

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:36 am
I wouldn't worry too much about crosswinds.

I'm only 65kg and love my 58mm rims. So stable in crosswinds. I'm going 80-88mm next.

Seems the trick is to get the toroidal shaped rims not the V-shape.

/a
we dont get that much of windy days in here so not important thing to consider

raiden
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

by raiden

sugarkane wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 am
raiden wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 pm
hi everyone im new to this forum i placed order for dogma f10 disc ever since i placed my order ive been searching for good wheel set that can handle my weight is 120 kg i would like to get set of aero wheels my current my is a bmc roadmachine rm02 it originally came wth dt swiss r24 wheels i would checked them at my lbs every two weeks or so and they needed little bit of truing but now i have changed to dt swiis r32 they seems to work better but i do get them check regularly too
the wheels i have on my mind for the f10 are
zipp 404 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
zipp 303 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
Lightweight Wegweiser C Disc cabon spokes no adjustment
CarbonMavic Comete Pro Carbon SL UST Disc WTS external nipple with thicker spokes
DT Swiss ERC 1100 DICUT DB internal adjustment hard to adjust
anyone have experience with any of the wheels
and you opinion which one would be stiffer and easier to live with
any other wheels you would suggest in db version

at your size i wouldn't touch a pair of factory wheels..
you need higher spoke count custom wheels from a good builder who's built wheels for bigger dudes before.
low count factory wheels that have hubs designed to make machine lacing easier are not what i would recommend.
I'd lean towards some white industry XMRs ( steel axles and a ti freehub ) in 32h with a good sturdy rim to mach.. e.g. a belguim + disk or a custom drilled medium depth carbon rim ( very hard to find of a worth while brand in the spoke count you need )
building a costume wheel is not really option and as i said before i want aero wheels not just stiff wheel

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

raiden wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

zipp are not lightest compare to other brands but heavy either how do you like 202 are they stiff and snappy
If the 202 NSWs are more flexy than my ENVE SES 5.6, it’s not something I’ve ever noticed.

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

raiden wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 am
sugarkane wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 am
raiden wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 pm
hi everyone im new to this forum i placed order for dogma f10 disc ever since i placed my order ive been searching for good wheel set that can handle my weight is 120 kg i would like to get set of aero wheels my current my is a bmc roadmachine rm02 it originally came wth dt swiss r24 wheels i would checked them at my lbs every two weeks or so and they needed little bit of truing but now i have changed to dt swiis r32 they seems to work better but i do get them check regularly too
the wheels i have on my mind for the f10 are
zipp 404 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
zipp 303 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
Lightweight Wegweiser C Disc cabon spokes no adjustment
CarbonMavic Comete Pro Carbon SL UST Disc WTS external nipple with thicker spokes
DT Swiss ERC 1100 DICUT DB internal adjustment hard to adjust
anyone have experience with any of the wheels
and you opinion which one would be stiffer and easier to live with
any other wheels you would suggest in db version

at your size i wouldn't touch a pair of factory wheels..
you need higher spoke count custom wheels from a good builder who's built wheels for bigger dudes before.
low count factory wheels that have hubs designed to make machine lacing easier are not what i would recommend.
I'd lean towards some white industry XMRs ( steel axles and a ti freehub ) in 32h with a good sturdy rim to mach.. e.g. a belguim + disk or a custom drilled medium depth carbon rim ( very hard to find of a worth while brand in the spoke count you need )
building a costume wheel is not really option and as i said before i want aero wheels not just stiff wheel
Unless you can loose 30kgs I'd be chasing durablity other wise you'll only be wasting your money

raiden
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

by raiden

sugarkane wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:25 pm
raiden wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 am
sugarkane wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 am
raiden wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 pm
hi everyone im new to this forum i placed order for dogma f10 disc ever since i placed my order ive been searching for good wheel set that can handle my weight is 120 kg i would like to get set of aero wheels my current my is a bmc roadmachine rm02 it originally came wth dt swiss r24 wheels i would checked them at my lbs every two weeks or so and they needed little bit of truing but now i have changed to dt swiis r32 they seems to work better but i do get them check regularly too
the wheels i have on my mind for the f10 are
zipp 404 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
zipp 303 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
Lightweight Wegweiser C Disc cabon spokes no adjustment
CarbonMavic Comete Pro Carbon SL UST Disc WTS external nipple with thicker spokes
DT Swiss ERC 1100 DICUT DB internal adjustment hard to adjust
anyone have experience with any of the wheels
and you opinion which one would be stiffer and easier to live with
any other wheels you would suggest in db version

at your size i wouldn't touch a pair of factory wheels..
you need higher spoke count custom wheels from a good builder who's built wheels for bigger dudes before.
low count factory wheels that have hubs designed to make machine lacing easier are not what i would recommend.
I'd lean towards some white industry XMRs ( steel axles and a ti freehub ) in 32h with a good sturdy rim to mach.. e.g. a belguim + disk or a custom drilled medium depth carbon rim ( very hard to find of a worth while brand in the spoke count you need )
building a costume wheel is not really option and as i said before i want aero wheels not just stiff wheel
Unless you can loose 30kgs I'd be chasing durablity other wise you'll only be wasting your money
ive been using wheels that have 110 kg limit without catastrophic failure it is matter opinion im getting fast bike and it is counter intuitive to get non aero wheels i think

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2468
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

Why are custom carbons not an option?

Some 28/32 or 32/32 custom 50/60mm rims with White IND/King/Hope/etc hubs would be your best bet in terms of aero/durable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

alcatraz
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

by alcatraz

What about finding a wheelbuilder in the neighborhood and just supply him/her with hubs/rims of your own choice.

1: Hubs Dt swiss dt240s disc 28/32
2: Spokes whatever the wheelbuilder has available. Insist on bladed spokes for max aero. If it's not super light at least you get low maintenance. Any up to 5-6gr/spoke is not considered overweight.
3: Two aero rims at your preferred depth pre drilled 28/32.
4: Brass nipples

tonytourist
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:13 am
Location: 93306

by tonytourist

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/zipp-404-fi ... p-x58.html
You might want to contact Wheelbuilder, they used to be able to get Zipps custom drilled.

raiden
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

by raiden

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Why are custom carbons not an option?

Some 28/32 or 32/32 custom 50/60mm rims with White IND/King/Hope/etc hubs would be your best bet in terms of aero/durable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
trust be i like to that i have gaint anyroad stock wheels on the bike are have 28 spoke i never had problem with that bike i do off road stuff and gravel riding as well without any problem point is if i could find a aero wheel custom wheel with 28 or more spoke i will take it

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

then why bother coming here to ask advice from people like my self who build wheels for a living? you have all the answers already.....

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2468
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

Comparing heavily built double wall alloy wheels with heavy gauge spokes to light carbon rims and light carbon spokes....

People are offering advice to try and give you a more durable long term/enjoyable experience...

I'm a bigger unit myself (188cm and 120+kg at one point) and given the choice between flexy wheels that will pop spokes over time vs the drag created by 12 more spokes on external brass nipples in relation to my total CDA on the bike which would be 0.01%, it's a no brainer.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Using Tapatalk

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post