wheels for dogma f10 disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

raiden

by raiden

hi everyone im new to this forum i placed order for dogma f10 disc ever since i placed my order ive been searching for good wheel set that can handle my weight is 120 kg i would like to get set of aero wheels my current my is a bmc roadmachine rm02 it originally came wth dt swiss r24 wheels i would checked them at my lbs every two weeks or so and they needed little bit of truing but now i have changed to dt swiis r32 they seems to work better but i do get them check regularly too
the wheels i have on my mind for the f10 are
zipp 404 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
zipp 303 nsw external nipple easy to adjust
Lightweight Wegweiser C Disc cabon spokes no adjustment
CarbonMavic Comete Pro Carbon SL UST Disc WTS external nipple with thicker spokes
DT Swiss ERC 1100 DICUT DB internal adjustment hard to adjust
anyone have experience with any of the wheels
and you opinion which one would be stiffer and easier to live with
any other wheels you would suggest in db version

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Are you doing sprints and climbing steep grades?

The torque a 120kg rider can put on a wheel is really spectacular. You need a few more spokes. Aero wheels generally don't have it. The good news is that deep carbon rims are stiffer than alloy. You just need to make sure they can support your weight, has enough spokes and spoke thickness.

The more heat resistant your wheel gets the more brittle it gets as well. So I wouldn't take a 120kg rider using the most heat resistant carbon rim on cobblestones or really bad roads unless it's a heavy duty rim.

People report that lightweights are crazy durable even for heavier riders. Personally I wouldn't have the guts to try it.

DT swiss hubs 24 front 28 rear if you are a leisure rider and 28/32 if you are a normal rider that likes to go faster.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

There are two issues. One is your weight and the second is the disk brake. A disk puts extra stresses on spokes and wheels. That’s why most disk wheels have higher spoke counts. In your case you need an extra margin of safety due to the combination of these two factors. I’d recommend a custom build using aluminum rims with high spoke counts. 28 front and 32 rear Hed Belgium Plus laced to DT or Chris King hubs. I ride a tandem and I use a 24 Belgium front (caliper brake, not disk brake) and a 32 rear with disk brake. You can use lightweight spokes to save weight. It’s better to have more lightweight spokes than fewer heavier spokes. Here’s how my custom wheels look. You can choose black spokesImage I only weigh 60kg so I thought of my tandem when I saw your weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ak47

by ak47

The Wegweisers have 120 kg system limit, that means your weight (with shoes, helmets and everythin you have in your pockets) + bike, so you would be esentially over the limit. You need to check weight limits on other wheels to be sure, you are safe.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I would take Dura Ace C40 TL wheels, C60 for more aero. No weight limit, stiff, easy to service and Shimano quality.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

moonoi

by moonoi

Reynolds Strike or Assault Disc wheelsets also have no weight limit and are worth considering

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

raiden

by raiden

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:44 pm
Are you doing sprints and climbing steep grades?

The torque a 120kg rider can put on a wheel is really spectacular. You need a few more spokes. Aero wheels generally don't have it. The good news is that deep carbon rims are stiffer than alloy. You just need to make sure they can support your weight, has enough spokes and spoke thickness.

The more heat resistant your wheel gets the more brittle it gets as well. So I wouldn't take a 120kg rider using the most heat resistant carbon rim on cobblestones or really bad roads unless it's a heavy duty rim.

People report that lightweights are crazy durable even for heavier riders. Personally I wouldn't have the guts to try it.

DT swiss hubs 24 front 28 rear if you are a leisure rider and 28/32 if you are a normal rider that likes to go faster.

/a
im not much of climber with my wieght but i like sprinting my max power is not high 1500 watt i mostly do semi flat or with 2 or 3% on averge on a 50 km ride
my bike is disc brake so almost all of them have at least 24 spoke front and back heat reasitant is not issue with disc
the issue with lightweight is the aero version are very high in price and weigviser which i like is only 35 mm thanks for the response

raiden

by raiden

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:11 pm
There are two issues. One is your weight and the second is the disk brake. A disk puts extra stresses on spokes and wheels. That’s why most disk wheels have higher spoke counts. In your case you need an extra margin of safety due to the combination of these two factors. I’d recommend a custom build using aluminum rims with high spoke counts. 28 front and 32 rear Hed Belgium Plus laced to DT or Chris King hubs. I ride a tandem and I use a 24 Belgium front (caliper brake, not disk brake) and a 32 rear with disk brake. You can use lightweight spokes to save weight. It’s better to have more lightweight spokes than fewer heavier spokes. Here’s how my custom wheels look. You can choose black spokesImage I only weigh 60kg so I thought of my tandem when I saw your weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes you are right the disc brake putting extra pressure on rims but im not doing crazy descents and i have not faced any issue in that regard on my bmc rm02 the issue is that roads are not in the best shape and if i hit put hole or anything like that in high speed im worried about my wheels just once i had big issue to a point that i couldn't not ride my bike but that was my mistake too i was riding cobbled like roads i had not checked the spoke tension i dont like to get alloy wheel they are slow and hed belgium is nice rim but im looking 50 mm or more in terms of depth
that funny man im exactly double your weight i get some funny looks from people when im riding or other cyclist too

raiden

by raiden

ak47 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:21 pm
The Wegweisers have 120 kg system limit, that means your weight (with shoes, helmets and everythin you have in your pockets) + bike, so you would be esentially over the limit. You need to check weight limits on other wheels to be sure, you are safe.
yes they do but most companys have they limit lower than what they can use to stay away from law suits and things also they are suggesting there use for cyclocross so they must be stiff and durable thank for advice stay safe too

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Although I haven't looked I think you'd be pressed to find a wheelset that fits all the requirements. Maybe someone here knows of a good wheel.

Many wheels are ok if they just had a +4 spoke count front/rear.

You really need that 28/32 spoke count to not have to true your wheels constantly.

I'm pretty sure that with the improved stiffness of the deeper zipp/campy wheels they would be ok for you. The annoying thing is always knowing you're at the limit and hold yourself back.

/a

raiden

by raiden

TurboKoo wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 pm
I would take Dura Ace C40 TL wheels, C60 for more aero. No weight limit, stiff, easy to service and Shimano quality.
i like the c60 but there inner and outer diameter is very low compare to newer wheel sets on the markets like 17 and 24 i like to run 28 mm tires at least 25 they wont my that aero with 25 or 28 mm tires im not sure about there weight limit

raiden

by raiden

moonoi wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 pm
Reynolds Strike or Assault Disc wheelsets also have no weight limit and are worth considering

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
thanks for the tip i will check them out

raiden

by raiden

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:15 am
Although I haven't looked I think you'd be pressed to find a wheelset that fits all the requirements. Maybe someone here knows of a good wheel.

Many wheels are ok if they just had a +4 spoke count front/rear.

You really need that 28/32 spoke count to not have to true your wheels constantly.

I'm pretty sure that with the improved stiffness of the deeper zipp/campy wheels they would be ok for you. The annoying thing is always knowing you're at the limit and hold yourself back.

/a
yes sure it is really hard and almost impossible we all would like to get 1000 gram wheel with 60mm depth and no susceptibility to cross winds but that seems like dream for now there is compromises im trying to find the best comprises between these i know if i get the lightweight i wont need to worry about truing ever and this is only option to get rid of truing with any other wheelset i have them get checked regularly but there not aero wheels set as for zipp 404 which is the strongest contender for now i got worried about there stiffness after i read about some people having brake rub issue with zipp 404 nsw clincher rim brake version im not sure this will be the case with disc version as well i mean if they will be stiff or not and the reason i created this tread is to find the stiff wheel i always need be careful with my riding and take no risks or ride like sagan :D

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Also don't be too worried about Zipp weights vs the competition. Their weights, AFAIK, include everything pre-installed.

My Zipp 202 NSW Disc rims weigh 1482g with QR endcaps, valves, valve caps and tubeless tape. They weigh 5g less with 12mm thru axle caps installed.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I wouldn't worry too much about crosswinds.

I'm only 65kg and love my 58mm rims. So stable in crosswinds. I'm going 80-88mm next.

Seems the trick is to get the toroidal shaped rims not the V-shape.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com