Which bike 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

I know others have asked similar questions but I can't find a sufficient answer to my dilemma:
I have $4,000 to spend on a road bike. I'm looking for all around, but climbing specific. What I'm looking at is:
New 2018 Emonda SL6 (not really interested in disc option for now)
Used 2017 Emonda SL8 (H1)
Used 2016 Emonda SL10

I don't race, used to be in race shape but after a few years of new children I've let go a bit. Still in good shape and looking to get back in the game at 41.
I like long miles, and climbing as I said before.

I've heard about Giant TCR SL and Canyon options, but I really like the Emonda... Still- open to further options.

What do you think?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about a domane slr. You said yourself you like long miles. This kind of frame you can keep until the grave.

Isospeed decoupler, endurance comfort, fairly light.

/a

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The 2017 Emonda SLR 8 might only be worth $4000 if you desire H1. I find it very hard to justify $4000 on a 2017 SLR frame with mechanical DA unless it also comes with upgraded wheels.

Whether the used SLR 10 is worth $4000 depends on its condition. If it has big paint chips, scuffed components, worn tires, tape, frayed cables, rust on fasteners, worn chainrings, worn chain, that will all bring its value down. If it's pristine, $4000 is a good value.

dim

by dim

If you don't mind buying a used bike in good condition, look at a Scott Addict SL
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

alcatraz wrote:How about a domane slr. You said yourself you like long miles. This kind of frame you can keep until the grave.

Isospeed decoupler, endurance comfort, fairly light.

/a
I thought about a Domane. I've read that the longer wheelbase makes it an excellent endurance bike, but as a climber I've heard it's a bit lacking. I've never ridden one though so I'm taking the opinion of others in my group who have.

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

TobinHatesYou wrote:The 2017 Emonda SLR 8 might only be worth $4000 if you desire H1. I find it very hard to justify $4000 on a 2017 SLR frame with mechanical DA unless it also comes with upgraded wheels.

Whether the used SLR 10 is worth $4000 depends on its condition. If it has big paint chips, scuffed components, worn tires, tape, frayed cables, rust on fasteners, worn chainrings, worn chain, that will all bring its value down. If it's pristine, $4000 is a good value.
I think this might begin to answer my question: So you're saying spending a little less on a new 2018 SL6 is, in your opinion, a better choice than spending $1,400 or so more on a used SLR 8 or even 10?
Is this year's Ultegra comparable to last year's Dura Ace?
Is this year's SL with the 500 series carbon good enough that I won't mind the extra 350 grams or so in weight?

These are the exact questions I keep coming back to which is why I posted here.
I don't mind used if it's a good deal, but my last bike was an older Cervelo S5 frame I built up with Dura Ace 7970 Di2 10spd parts and wheels. I haven't ridden anything newer so it's difficult for me to compare groupos. And I thought I'd be really happy with the S5 but it turns out I don't love the feel of the frame while climbing. I want a more traditional frame feel.

Thank you for the options, hopefully I can get a few more before Tuesday when I'm pulling the trigger on something.

bilwit

by bilwit

ofsinreno wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:55 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:The 2017 Emonda SLR 8 might only be worth $4000 if you desire H1. I find it very hard to justify $4000 on a 2017 SLR frame with mechanical DA unless it also comes with upgraded wheels.

I think this might begin to answer my question: So you're saying spending a little less on a new 2018 SL6 is, in your opinion, a better choice than spending $1,400 or so more on a used SLR 8 or even 10?
Is this year's SL with the 500 series carbon good enough that I won't mind the extra 350 grams or so in weight?

I don't mind used if it's a good deal, but my last bike was an older Cervelo S5 frame I built up with Dura Ace 7970 Di2 10spd parts and wheels. I haven't ridden anything newer so it's difficult for me to compare groupos. And I thought I'd be really happy with the S5 but it turns out I don't love the feel of the frame while climbing. I want a more traditional frame feel.

Thank you for the options, hopefully I can get a few more before Tuesday when I'm pulling the trigger on something.

IMO last gen's Ultegra was comparable to last gen's Dura Ace... the new groupset is the same way. Ultegra performance is every bit as good with the only penalty being weight (and less bling). Also might consider the new perks of the latest gen (long RD cage for bigger cassettes, hydraulic/mech or hydraulic/electronic shifters are significantly less bulky, etc).

I would also just get the best frame as possible regardless, you'll always have the itch to upgrade all the bits in the future but you're stuck with the frame. Also important to remember if the goal is fitness, it doesn't matter how heavy the bike is or even how fast you're going, it's all about the intensity effort you're laying down--a watt is a watt regardless if you're on a 25lb bike or a 14lb bike. A bit obvious, but might help you come to terms with not sacrificing too much for the best components possible from the get go, nothing wrong with leaving room to treat yourself with an upgrade down the line.

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

bilwit wrote:
ofsinreno wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:55 pm

IMO last gen's Ultegra was comparable to last gen's Dura Ace... the new groupset is the same way. Ultegra performance is every bit as good with the only penalty being weight (and less bling). Also might consider the new perks of the latest gen (long RD cage for bigger cassettes, hydraulic/mech or hydraulic/electronic shifters are significantly less bulky, etc).

I would also just get the best frame as possible regardless, you'll always have the itch to upgrade all the bits in the future but you're stuck with the frame. Also important to remember if the goal is fitness, it doesn't matter how heavy the bike is or even how fast you're going, it's all about the intensity effort you're laying down--a watt is a watt regardless if you're on a 25lb bike or a 14lb bike. A bit obvious, but might help you come to terms with not sacrificing too much for the best components possible from the get go, nothing wrong with leaving room to treat yourself with an upgrade down the line.
I agree which is part of my dilemma. The SLR is a better frame, lighter and more responsive but then I'm relegated at my price point to older models. If I want a new bike I have to get the SL which is heavier carbon, and less responsive (although still pretty responsive from what I've been reading).
First world problems I guess...

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I test rode the Emonda SLR, Tarmac S-Works, and SS Evo, before deciding on the TCR Advanced SL. My budget was originally $9000 for a complete bike before going with a low end TCR SL 2 that came with Ultegra mechanical and Giant carbon wheels for $4200 msrp, though I paid $3500 out the door. I stripped the bike down to the frame and built it up with DA 9150, and Bora Ultra 50. The bike came in at under my original budget with better build than any of the full bikes I was considering.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

Noctiluxx wrote:I test rode the Emonda SLR, Tarmac S-Works, and SS Evo, before deciding on the TCR Advanced SL. My budget was originally $9000 for a complete bike before going with a low end TCR SL 2 that came with Ultegra mechanical and Giant carbon wheels for $4200 msrp, though I paid $3500 out the door. I stripped the bike down to the frame and built it up with DA 9150, and Bora Ultra 50. The bike came in at under my original budget with better build than any of the full bikes I was considering.
Sounds like a great bike, and there's no bike more fun to ride than one you've built yourself. I've built a few too.
Unfortunately my budget is $4k or so. If you can think of any way for me to build a bike like you've done under my budget, I'm all ears Image
I'll look into the Giant though. I don't have much experience with Giant, sounds like it might be a good way to go.

Last edited by ofsinreno on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

What goes up must come down. Go for Emonda SL Disc or TCR Adv SL Disc if budget allows, otherwise get the Pro. i got the SL and it climbs and descent great!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you want more for the money just hunt a used whatever you want.

Don't fall for the marketing jargon that the latest is leaps better than the last.

If you're worried about the guarantee, then keep in mind that an ultralight part with guarantee isn't safer than a well chosen part out of warranty. If you choose and inspect your items with common sense you could make choices that hold 10+ years and not just until the guarantee period ends. You'll also save money. If the previous rider is heavier than you it's a guarantee in itself that the parts have held.

Just my thought process. I developed it after moving to China where you have to be responsible for quality control yourself.

/a

SMITHERS

by SMITHERS

Have you looked into the Emonda ALR?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Trek Travel is selling their used Ultregra DI2 700 level carbon. https://shop.trektravel.com/collections/all
Based on their CL ad, I presume the price is flexible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

ofsinreno wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 am
Noctiluxx wrote:I test rode the Emonda SLR, Tarmac S-Works, and SS Evo, before deciding on the TCR Advanced SL. My budget was originally $9000 for a complete bike before going with a low end TCR SL 2 that came with Ultegra mechanical and Giant carbon wheels for $4200 msrp, though I paid $3500 out the door. I stripped the bike down to the frame and built it up with DA 9150, and Bora Ultra 50. The bike came in at under my original budget with better build than any of the full bikes I was considering.
Sounds like a great bike, and there's no bike more fun to ride than one you've built yourself. I've built a few too.
Unfortunately my budget is $4k or so. If you can think of any way for me to build a bike like you've done under my budget, I'm all ears Image
I'll look into the Giant though. I don't have much experience with Giant, sounds like it might be a good way to go.

Why no the entry level SL that comes with Ultegra 8000 mechanical, and Giant tubeless carbon wheels for under $4K? The bike weights 6.8KG in medium.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt