Which bike 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

This is a cool idea. I just called them for more info about the bike: year, warranty, shipping, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Maybe see if they have a set of wheels for it too. They rent them also.

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

jfranci3 wrote:Maybe see if they have a set of wheels for it too. They rent them also.
I spoke to a rep, and they are 2015 and 2017's. Still not sure whether I should just pay $400 more for an SLR 10 since I'm considering the first generation Emonda.

BitGid

by BitGid

My first road bike was an Emonda ALR, and I recently got a TCR Advanced Pro.

The TCR definitely feels a little faster, although how much of that is down to the lower weight (lighter frame and carbon wheelset) I can't say. However, the front end of the TCR is about 30mm lower (stack). For my Emonda ALR, I couldn't get the front end as low as I wanted (relatively long torso compared to legs).

A plus point for the ALR is the external cabling, which is easier to maintain and replace. That's why I'm running Di2 for my TCR (although the brake cables will still have to be replaced from time to time).

At the end of the day, I think the biggest considerations will be geometry and whether you prefer external cables. Both framesets are excellent to ride, though if I had to pick, I'd say the TCR handles marginally better but the ALR is a little more comfortable.

Cheers, https://bitgid.com
Last edited by BitGid on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

BitGid wrote:My first road bike was an Emonda ALR, and I recently got a TCR Advanced Pro.

The TCR definitely feels a little faster, although how much of that is down to the lower weight (lighter frame and carbon wheelset) I can't say. However, the front end of the TCR is about 30mm lower (stack). For my Emonda ALR, I couldn't get the front end as low as I wanted (relatively long torso compared to legs).

A plus point for the ALR is the external cabling, which is easier to maintain and replace. That's why I'm running Di2 for my TCR (although the brake cables will still have to be replaced from time to time).

At the end of the day, I think the biggest considerations will be geometry and whether you prefer external cables. Both framesets are excellent to ride, though if I had to pick, I'd say the TCR handles marginally better but the ALR is a little more comfortable.
Thanks, I'm going to look at a TCR today.
I'm not opposed to aluminum frames, in fact my two favorite bikes I've ever owned were both aluminum, but for this bike I'm mainly looking at carbon.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

After looking, I'm going with the Giant TCR SL KOM edition. Mechanical Ultegra (though I'm probably going to upgrade to di2) and carbon wheels for $3300 out the door.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Wow! You guys in the US get incredible deals that we can only dream about here in Canada! Great choice!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bordcla wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 pm
Wow! You guys in the US get incredible deals that we can only dream about here in Canada! Great choice!

A local shop called GoRide routinely offers some of the best closeouts on Cannondale, Giant and Scott. Here's their listing to make you salivate.

2017 TCR Adv SL 2 KOM for $2800.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ofsinreno

by ofsinreno

When I went to pick up the bike I spent some time on the fit bike and determined that I ride a small not a medium. The KOM was medium.
Instead I picked up A TCR Advanced Pro. I weighed both and the Pro was lighter! Ultegra group, carbon wheels, the correct size, and I paid $2,500 out the door!
Why isn't everyone riding this bike? Even came with the speed/cadence sensor.
I'm so happy with this bike. Thanks everyone for their input.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk