OMNI Racer 11-28 Titanium Cassette reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrirocz

by mrirocz

I am looking to purchase this cassette for my SRAM ETAP. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Seems like a good deal for Titanium cassette. 112 grams for the 11-28.
I am wondering if it is just a race day only cassette or if it can be used daily? There doesn't seem to be any reviews.

https://www.omniracer.com/product-page/ ... e-11-speed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Titanium isn't as strong as steel. It wont last as long.

Also depends on your power. Maybe a weaker rider can use it for a while comparable to a strong rider on a steel cassette, but if the small rider were on a steel casette it would last much longer than the strong riders.

If you got the money, try it. Campy cassettes have some titanium cogs. Alloy cassettes are crazy to use though unless it's the largest 1-2 cogs.

I'm a small rider with a small ftp. I'm enjoying the weight and longevity of sram red cassettes. I think some larger riders wouldn't but them because it's simply too easy to wear them out for them.

/a

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've used the Omni and similar brand titanium cassettes for a few years. Both 10-speed and 11-speed.
There's nothing wrong with them, and they will last long enough, unless you demand years of service out of them.
I rode them year round, and they don't wear out after a season. Your chain is more likely to wear in bad weather.

I also like them for the wide splines, they won't dig into your freehub, even if made of aluminum.

But here's the real decision: one Omni @ $300., or two Recon/BDop alloy cassettes for same price (half the cost per)?

jih

by jih

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 am
I'm a small rider with a small ftp. I'm enjoying the weight and longevity of sram red cassettes. I think some larger riders wouldn't but them because it's simply too easy to wear them out for them.
/a
Why do SRAM red cassettes wear out quickly? They're steel after all.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

High power and torque will eat up any drivetrain quicker. For such a rider, any expensive weight weenie cassette might seem pointless if it doesn't last long enough for them. They'd rather stay with shimano for example. Not very light but great shifting and low price.

I use sram red cassettes and I'm very happy. I get them in good shape second hand 10 speed. They last several years for me. In fact I havent worn one out yet but I've only ridden two seasons around 20k.

/a

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jih wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:14 pm

Why do SRAM red cassettes wear out quickly? They're steel after all.
SRAM Red cassettes don't have longevity issues unless you spend an inordinate amount of time in the biggest cog, which is aluminum. Durability should honestly be superior to a Dura-Ace cassette where the 1-5 cogs are titanium. My 4-5-6 cogs see a lot of shifts because that's where it makes the most sense to shift up front and "synco-shift" in back for my set-up.

jih

by jih

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 am
SRAM Red cassettes don't have longevity issues unless you spend an inordinate amount of time in the biggest cog, which is aluminum. Durability should honestly be superior to a Dura-Ace cassette where the 1-5 cogs are titanium. My 4-5-6 cogs see a lot of shifts because that's where it makes the most sense to shift up front and "synco-shift" in back for my set-up.
Makes sense. My 'hilly trip' cassette is the Red 11s 11-30 and I don't notice any particular wear. I use the 30t but it's mostly there as a bail-out. I like the cassette a lot - especially how easy it is to put on and take off with the one-piece design.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

UpFromOne wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 am
... or two Recon/BDop alloy cassettes for same price (half the cost per)?
Our cassettes are NOT Recon cassettes. They come from a completely different factory, use harder materials and different machining processes.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

What Bob said. BDop cassettes blow away Recon.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Just a bit of feedback on my recent purchase of a BDop alloy cassette. weight with lock ring 123gram [12/28], had to use a spacer on the hub as it wouldn't tighten the lock ring seemed to bottom out. Running DI2 DA9150 and shifting has always been a bit flakey for me running the SRAM XG cassette 11/28, fine with the DA cassettes but with the red it would shift fine for awhile then seem to go out of tune and I would be unable to get it back. It was misbehaving when I fitted the BDop and straight away shifted like a DA cassette. Durability................ not expecting steel/titanium life span and I am fine with that, happy to have great shifting and not chewing my freehub up. Have just ordered one of his steel cassettes as well which is yet to arrive. Recomended??? defintely at this stage if you are after gram savings and limited component life is not a major concern.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

RyanH

by RyanH

beanbiken wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 am
Just a bit of feedback on my recent purchase of a BDop alloy cassette. weight with lock ring 123gram [12/28], had to use a spacer on the hub as it wouldn't tighten the lock ring seemed to bottom out. Running DI2 DA9150 and shifting has always been a bit flakey for me running the SRAM XG cassette 11/28, fine with the DA cassettes but with the red it would shift fine for awhile then seem to go out of tune and I would be unable to get it back. It was misbehaving when I fitted the BDop and straight away shifted like a DA cassette. Durability................ not expecting steel/titanium life span and I am fine with that, happy to have great shifting and not chewing my freehub up. Have just ordered one of his steel cassettes as well which is yet to arrive. Recomended??? defintely at this stage if you are after gram savings and limited component life is not a major concern.

BB
Do you have any updates on durability of the Steel and Alloy cassettes? 9150 doesn't play well with SRAM XG 11-28 Cassettes. It won't shift into one of the middle cogs in both directions (going up and down the cassette) on two different XG cassettes that I have. Swapping for an 11-25 and shifting is good. Swapping with DA/Ultegra or Campy Record and shifting is good...just not 11-28 XG.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

The steel cassette arrived sometime ago, removed the alloy & fitted the steel, shifting quality seemed identical and has remained as such since. Haven't revisited the alloy again as I have been 100% happy with the steel BDop cassette. Will not be bothering with the Sram red cassettes in future, have one [Sram red] on my Campag SR bike and it shifts fine but 9150 just does not seem to get on with the Sram. Must list my XG cassette.......... DBop, FWIW 100% recommended at this point. Note I am not a watt monster :oops:
BB

Coffee & carbon

eurostar

by eurostar

Never heard of BDop but excited to discover it in this thread. Seems like a no brainer even with shipping to Europe. The Air Brake pad holders also seem like a sensible choice.

Emmodd

by Emmodd

eurostar wrote:Never heard of BDop but excited to discover it in this thread. Seems like a no brainer even with shipping to Europe. The Air Brake pad holders also seem like a sensible choice.
Snap! Just ordered the 11-32 alloy. Have Miche but the shifting is rubbish across the whole cassette. Can get the top or bottom half to shift nicely but as a whole no chance.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Gary71

by Gary71

Great thread - I too have ordered some BDop cassettes (one steal and a Alu lightweight). If they are comparable as Shimano, then this is a great find. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com