OMNI Racer 11-28 Titanium Cassette reviews?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mrirocz

by mrirocz

I am looking to purchase this cassette for my SRAM ETAP. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Seems like a good deal for Titanium cassette. 112 grams for the 11-28.
I am wondering if it is just a race day only cassette or if it can be used daily? There doesn't seem to be any reviews.

https://www.omniracer.com/product-page/ ... e-11-speed

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Titanium isn't as strong as steel. It wont last as long.

Also depends on your power. Maybe a weaker rider can use it for a while comparable to a strong rider on a steel cassette, but if the small rider were on a steel casette it would last much longer than the strong riders.

If you got the money, try it. Campy cassettes have some titanium cogs. Alloy cassettes are crazy to use though unless it's the largest 1-2 cogs.

I'm a small rider with a small ftp. I'm enjoying the weight and longevity of sram red cassettes. I think some larger riders wouldn't but them because it's simply too easy to wear them out for them.

/a

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've used the Omni and similar brand titanium cassettes for a few years. Both 10-speed and 11-speed.
There's nothing wrong with them, and they will last long enough, unless you demand years of service out of them.
I rode them year round, and they don't wear out after a season. Your chain is more likely to wear in bad weather.

I also like them for the wide splines, they won't dig into your freehub, even if made of aluminum.

But here's the real decision: one Omni @ $300., or two Recon/BDop alloy cassettes for same price (half the cost per)?

jih

by jih

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 am
I'm a small rider with a small ftp. I'm enjoying the weight and longevity of sram red cassettes. I think some larger riders wouldn't but them because it's simply too easy to wear them out for them.
/a
Why do SRAM red cassettes wear out quickly? They're steel after all.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

High power and torque will eat up any drivetrain quicker. For such a rider, any expensive weight weenie cassette might seem pointless if it doesn't last long enough for them. They'd rather stay with shimano for example. Not very light but great shifting and low price.

I use sram red cassettes and I'm very happy. I get them in good shape second hand 10 speed. They last several years for me. In fact I havent worn one out yet but I've only ridden two seasons around 20k.

/a

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jih wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:14 pm

Why do SRAM red cassettes wear out quickly? They're steel after all.
SRAM Red cassettes don't have longevity issues unless you spend an inordinate amount of time in the biggest cog, which is aluminum. Durability should honestly be superior to a Dura-Ace cassette where the 1-5 cogs are titanium. My 4-5-6 cogs see a lot of shifts because that's where it makes the most sense to shift up front and "synco-shift" in back for my set-up.

jih

by jih

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 am
SRAM Red cassettes don't have longevity issues unless you spend an inordinate amount of time in the biggest cog, which is aluminum. Durability should honestly be superior to a Dura-Ace cassette where the 1-5 cogs are titanium. My 4-5-6 cogs see a lot of shifts because that's where it makes the most sense to shift up front and "synco-shift" in back for my set-up.
Makes sense. My 'hilly trip' cassette is the Red 11s 11-30 and I don't notice any particular wear. I use the 30t but it's mostly there as a bail-out. I like the cassette a lot - especially how easy it is to put on and take off with the one-piece design.