rim brake vs disk in wet/misty conditions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Apv

by Apv

robertbb wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:18 am
Zonda rims don't have the best braking surface to begin with, even in the dry. I imagine they suck in the wet. I've been doing some testing (which I plan to report on here) running Zonda C17's and non-mille Shamal C17's on the same bike, with same tubes/tyres, same pressure, same brake pads (Campy 11 standard). This includes running one of each front/rear... coming home, swapping, doing same loop... and though I have not yet finished testing in all combinations, all conditions, all kinds of roads... I think the love for Zonda's is really overdone - nowhere near Shamals by any measurement.

My point: Don't compare disc vs rim. Because not all rims are created equal, and braking on some is simply excellent. As has been said above, probably even better with aftermarket pads (I'm yet to go down that path but will at some point).
Please deliver. I'd like to read your report on this as it definitely seems like the Zonda's are glorified

Boshk

by Boshk

robertbb wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:18 am
Zonda rims don't have the best braking surface to begin with, even in the dry. I imagine they suck in the wet. I've been doing some testing (which I plan to report on here) running Zonda C17's and non-mille Shamal C17's on the same bike, with same tubes/tyres, same pressure, same brake pads (Campy 11 standard). This includes running one of each front/rear... coming home, swapping, doing same loop... and though I have not yet finished testing in all combinations, all conditions, all kinds of roads... I think the love for Zonda's is really overdone - nowhere near Shamals by any measurement.

My point: Don't compare disc vs rim. Because not all rims are created equal, and braking on some is simply excellent. As has been said above, probably even better with aftermarket pads (I'm yet to go down that path but will at some point).
I totally agree, like most would say, you get what you pay for. Shamal vs Zonda are on different price points, I'm sure the Shamal would be better in everyway.

I'm happy with my dry braking at the moment with the standard campy chorus brake pads, a bit noisy but like some of the guys above have said, I need to wash and maintain the rim surface to keep it clean from grease/black crap. I'm going to order some SwissStop or Kool Stop Salmon brake pads and give them a try.

Let us guys know your results of your findings. Maybe my next upgrade will be wheels......or if I keep dreaming, maybe a C64 with direct mount brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com