Colnago C60 Top Tube Fragile?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Friend just send me this link http://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/wp/?p=3263

If u scroll a bit, u'll find part about C60:

"
COLNAGO C60 CAUTION
October 24, 2017/in carbon, paint /by Rob Granville

Now it is Colnago’s turn for some gentle criticism…For those who don’t know we are their official restorers, none-the-less we are a trusted opinion resource of carbon knowledge which we share with you. It has to be said that NO brand is without fault. In this instance the C60 is under the spotlight for a possible structural oversight. I am sure they can rectify this the next signature model. Please note this bike is not dangerous to ride.

The issue is the top tube fragility. Since they were released we have repaired many C60 almost entirely on the top tube area. This is a red flag and is most likely not a warrantable claim. I get the impression the designers did it to reduce weight or introduce sympathetic compliance, I don’t know. In my opinion they could do with 1 more layer to ensure that it does not crack so comparatively easily. No doubt this is a small remedial modification but caution to all C60 owners out there – Please do not engage your top tube for anything other than to clean it otherwise thrash it as hard as you can and enjoy another great bike from the Colnago stable albeit with some imperfection.
"

What is ur opinions about this? Just to mention that friend of mine have cracked his top tube, but he was beeing involved in crash (i guess his hadlebar cracked the top tube while he was falling down, so not that it cracked in his case without reason).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Must Get New C64.... I had no idea my C60 was about to crumble apart underneath me. Thanks for saving my life.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

Calnago wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm
Must Get New C64.... I had no idea my C60 was about to crumble apart underneath me. Thanks for saving my life. Image

I did not safe ur life :) Im just mssnger and someone just interested in this :) (i also adore C60, and ride one and best bike i ever had and ride). And please dont get new C64.. So much marketing gimmick and so ugly in some parts of it.. Except if u dont love Swimming Pools.. Then i'll understund why u must get new C64 (If u have that much urge to buy C64, at least Buy real C64 which is Commodore 64.. :) )

p.s Raid over Moscow, Green Beret and specialy ELITE are something u must do on C64 :)
Last edited by 3Pio on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

Please do not engage your top tube for anything other than to clean it otherwise thrash it
I take that to mean don't clamp your bike in a bike stand or bike rack. Their blog post would be more helpful if they explained why most of the frames repaired had failed.

mattr

by mattr

I suspect it's sitting on it or resting your weight on it.
I've seen a few people with cracked or otherwise damaged top tubes from doing that.

Along with the usual over tightening clamps of course.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Top tubes are one of the least structurally significant tubes in a bicycle. Whereas the downtube and through the chainstays take the most force, the top tube just sort of completes the triangle. Hardly even need it structurally. Look at old “girls bikes” for example. My entire childhood was one of constant ridicule due to the fact that everything I had was my big sister’s hand me down. It was a tough childhood, especially having to ride a girls bicycle all the way through puberty. Then, I finally came of age when I saved enough money through my paper route to buy a real “Boys” bike. It had a top tube and everything. It is a sign of manhood, no matter how thin they make it.
Just don’t be sitting on it or squeeze it too tightly and you’ll be fine.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Miller

by Miller

A road frame needs to be able to support the weight of your backside sitting on it. It just does. Sitting on the top tube is cool. It just is.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, you're right... just don't be jumping up and down on it. These things aren't steel like they used to be. I remember a while ago there was a thread by someone who was just riding along and a "konker" (I presume that's a chestnut) fell out of tree onto his top tube, and cracked it. It was a Cannondale I believe. Bad luck, but they sure don't make 'em like they used to, and for the most part that's a good thing. But there are some very thin sections in bicycle tube these days, to be sure.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I think sitting on the top tube is the coolest thing ever. Just looks so Pro and is very comfortable at re-grouping points..(note I'm inferring that I'm the one waiting on top tube at re-group area) However! My frame came came with explicit warnings from factory and rep on several occasions not to do so. The top tube is very thin. You can squeeze a pretty big indent into it with thumb and forefinger. Sucks.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

cro2

by cro2

Calnago wrote:Top tubes are one of the least structurally significant tubes in a bicycle. Whereas the downtube and through the chainstays take the most force, the top tube just sort of completes the triangle. Hardly even need it structurally.
This is just wrong, it's basic mechanical enginering. Top tube is actually equally important to every other tube in a frame as it basically is a truss construction, unless we consider exotic builds such as Cervelo P5C which relies on other principles.

Back to the topic - last year during one of my races I was involved in a crash together with some other guys. The only bike that got hurt was a Colnago C60 which had a large crack along the top tube and the guy didn't even land on the ground, just some hard braking and rear wheel skid. Now I know that one event does not prove anything, but given the link in the OP post something may be going on.

Wysłane z mojego LG-K430 przy użyciu Tapatalka

c60rider

by c60rider

3Pio wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am
I get the impression the designers did it to reduce weight or introduce sympathetic compliance, I don’t know.
To reduce weight on a C60? I can't believe that was at the forefront of their mind when they were designing it seeing what weight they generally came out at. :roll:

MRM

by MRM

It's rather impossible to garner any significant opinion one way or the other without knowing specifics on how the tubes broke. If the rider weight exceeded parameters or the rider hit a particularly bad pothole while descending Mohoric style it doesn't have to be the fault of the manufacturer (for example).

Sometimes, you also just get a bad model since no manufacturing process is perfect.

I don't own a Colnago, but appreciate the brand ethos. Just think it's all rather pointless without the facts.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hey that's weird, someone on the C64 thread was saying the C60 is the toughest bike in the peloton because it weighs like 30% more than the other bikes out there

Anyway, that blog post was a waste of my time - if there are no details no one should bother giving it a thought.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tabl10s

by tabl10s

3Pio wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:48 pm
Calnago wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm
Must Get New C64.... I had no idea my C60 was about to crumble apart underneath me. Thanks for saving my life. Image

I did not safe ur life :) Im just mssnger and someone just interested in this :) (i also adore C60, and ride one and best bike i ever had and ride). And please dont get new C64.. So much marketing gimmick and so ugly in some parts of it.. Except if u dont love Swimming Pools.. Then i'll understund why u must get new C64 (If u have that much urge to buy C64, at least Buy real C64 which is Commodore 64.. :) )

p.s Raid over Moscow, Green Beret and specialy ELITE are something u must do on C64 :)
Good grammar and spellcheck are your friends.
Last edited by tabl10s on Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Miller wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:42 pm
A road frame needs to be able to support the weight of your backside sitting on it. It just does. Sitting on the top tube is cool. It just is.
Especially while going downhill!
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)