Using retul bike fit to help decide on frame size and model selection

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeD

by MikeD

I could be wrong here, but I've had a Retul fit done. It seems more to fit you on your existing bike, not as a tool to determine proper frame size.

cassard

by cassard

As a Retul fitting user, I find that the Retul Bike is better to determine the frame size (we sell a lot of Pinarello's at my store) and the geometry can be tricky. So it's usefull for frame finding for the right size to fit but to also be esthetic (not having 35mm spacers and positive stem). The fact of being able to quickly change the Stack, Reach, Handlebar, Stem is very very useful.

For fitting, the Sensor (vantage) system is more appropriate, but I find it very very very overkill (lot of marketing) and not reliable in terms of measurements.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

It seems that you are putting the cart before the horse.
Yes- You can benefit from using a Retul fit to determine ideal bike size.
But you NEED to use a fit to optimize your position 1st.
It seems like you are making positioning errors to account for reach, setback, etc..- Best to find ideal position 1st. Even if it results in
a setup on your bike that is not aesthetically pleasing or results in a stem that is shorter than you like-

Once you find the ideal position and ride it for a bit, your fitter should easily be able to teanslate this position into the beast frame size and bike setup on this new bike.
Don't buy a bike with a totally different postion until you have ridden in that different position.

Going with a smaller bike can sometimes be problematic too. Yes, you get less reach, but you also get lower stack. This may work well, it may not.
For me, I would never buy a frame that requires more than 2cm of spacer- Less is better. In a perfect world I would want a frame that works well with 0-10mm of spacer stack.

cassard

by cassard

Finding a frame size is about half of the fitting anyway and it doesn't take 5 minutes. There is an assessment of what he's looking for, some functionnal testing and just talking with him to see his objectifs and goal. Finding a frame size doesn't put the customer into a totally different position than what he's used to. Depending on his measurements and his old bike fit (most of people have one), you can easily translate the fit on the Retul and than find the right size. When you buy a 10 000$ + bike, this whole assessment is mandatory.

When he's on the Retul bike, the saddle position can be fitted approximately close to reality really quickly (+/- 5mm of height and setback) and then you can go and test some different stack, reach, stem length, stem angle and even the handlebar width. At the end, you still have enough maneuver to fit the saddle to the exact position with the real bike after.

Also, I don't agree with you saying that you need to use a fit to optimize the position first, since it won't happen. The body always adapts itself and even if it was almost or the exact same fit the customer had, a new bike demands adaptation. That's why most of the time I let the customer ride for around 700 to 1000km before coming back and doing a fine tuning for the fitting. Especially when you get to know their goals and objectives want to be as precise and specific and you can get.

well that's my humble opinion from the experience I have

MikeD

by MikeD

When I had a Retul fit done several years ago, I was fit on my bikes. I didn't know about the Retul bike, and perhaps it didn't exist back then. Perhaps most Retul fitters don't have that bike. The Retul website doesn't even show it. Maybe that's some of the confusion here.