Bontrager Speed Stop Pro or EE Brakes DM

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thanos

by Thanos

wheelbuilder wrote:Oh, sorry. I've ridden them before so kind of knew what to expect. Superior in every way to the Red set that they replaced, at almost half the weight. Modulation on par with DA9100 if not a tiny bit better, initial bite and overall power slightly inferior to 9100.
Great, thanks for that. I'm waiting for my Bontrager Integrated Bar and Stem before the LBS finishes the build, so going to be a while I'm afraid.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Any update here?

I’m also currently running Campag DM on my Domane and I’m not impressed.

I can get EEs at a discount, so their premium over the Bontys isn’t as bad, but either set will sting. It’s time for change, though, so I’m keen to know if the Bontys are worth the saving or if the EEs justify the extra.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Visus

by Visus

I have a set of Speedstop Pros on my Emonda SLR with Red eTap levers and I really like them. Really good modulation. You can adapt the to Shimano/SRAM or Campy by modifying the lever ratio or just adjust them to your liking.
If you dont like the aesthetic of the cable popping out of the securing mechanism and hanging above the brake shoe you could actually cut them really thight so you wouldnt even see the cable end coming out and just disappearing in the brake body.
They are a bit different to the shimano brakes as in the dont have that initial strong bite, the braking force ramps up more soft with the lever movement (As someone mentioned before). More like campagnolo breaks as I remember them (Chorus pre 2015).
Never had the opportunity to test the eeBrakes but I dont think they are worth the premium (unless you want the lightest)
Mine weighed in at 76g each without the brake shoes.

photek

by photek

I recently fitted the new G4 DM eeBrakes on my Domane SL to replace the Speedstops that it came with. I was not unhappy with the Speedstops, but I just lusted after the ee's ;-)

The fitting was easy enough and the performance is great, I use Swisstop Black Prince pads and a Jagwire Elitelink cableset. I would say they modulate better and are more powerful than the Speedstops, but to be honest the Speedstops are also great brakes.

One thing that I have against the Speedstops is that they are obviously a bit of a rip off of the eeBrake's...and I don't like the big guys coming in and ripping off the little guys. Hence my decision to support eeBrakes.
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So I assume the G4 DM EE has enough of pad travel/adjustment to reach the rim brake track? I have a Domane fork on my custom Ti frame and I worried that an EE wouldn't have long enough of an arm to reach the brake track. Is there still room left in the pad adjustment or did you have to use all of the adjustment range? The Domane fork has a very long CTA.

photek

by photek

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 pm
So I assume the G4 DM EE has enough of pad travel/adjustment to reach the rim brake track? I have a Domane fork on my custom Ti frame and I worried that an EE wouldn't have long enough of an arm to reach the brake track. Is there still room left in the pad adjustment or did you have to use all of the adjustment range? The Domane fork has a very long CTA.
Just check, the pads are sitting a little over halfway down the arm - I would post a photo but I don't know how :oops:
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for checking. To post a photo you have to host the photo somewhere like Photobucket. But the easiest way I've found is to take the pic. with your smart phone and use Tapatalk (a smart phone app. for online forums) to reply to the thread and post the photo. That way the photo is hosted on Tapatalk (I think, I'm not sure) without you having to do it manually.

Wecome to WW.

photek

by photek

pdlpsher1 wrote:Thanks for checking. To post a photo you have to host the photo somewhere like Photobucket. But the easiest way I've found is to take the pic. with your smart phone and use Tapatalk (a smart phone app. for online forums) to reply to the thread and post the photo. That way the photo is hosted on Tapatalk (I think, I'm not sure) without you having to do it manually.

Wecome to WW.
Et viola ;-)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the pic. That looks like a really big open tubular tire :shock:

photek

by photek

pdlpsher1 wrote:Thanks for the pic. That looks like a really big open tubular tire :shock:
Vittoria Corsa G+ 28mm, the roads here in Hungary are utterly terrible - they really add some nice comfort & puncture protection.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Just pulling up this thread to see if anyone has additional feedback on the Speed Stop Pro vs EE direct mount G4.

If the stopping performance is there with the Bontragers, I can see no reason to spend the extra money on the EE's. I am also not a fan of the aesthetic of the EE, mostly it's the exposed wire spring. Just not a good look to my eye, jumbled, confusing.

Weight seems pretty close, and both have superior tire clearance.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.