Bontrager Speed Stop Pro or EE Brakes DM

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

garysol1 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm
Thanos wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 pm
wheelbuilder wrote:I would like to add as a former Trek Mechanic, we all thought the Speed Stop brakes sucked. As a cabling fanatic, contrary to that pic earlier that depicts the cable running to the outside and beyond the right brake shoe before being clipped........I thought that looked really sloppy. I would cut and crimp them about 10mm beyond their exit point so the crimped end would sit about 1mm above the right brake shoe. Looked really good but was very hard to get a perfect cut and not fray the cable in such ridiculously tight quarters. I thought they lacked power, and the adjustment screws would lose functionality over time.
Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. So, I think I can assume the new Pro's would be the same or at least similar, due to the same design, but Ti parts.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Not to minimize wheelbuilders experiences but I need to add that as a current Trek mechanic I have had none of the same issues as Wheelbuilder. First off install as directed by Trek. The PDF file on Dexter outlines exactly how the cabling should be run and whether you like the way it looks or not it is the correct way to do it. It clearly states to run the cable out and clip it so that it rests on the pad holder. We have been installing Speed Stops for as long as they have been out and have simply NOT had any of the same tuning issues as mentioned above and have never had the tuning screws quit working over time.
I hear you, and appreciate your response. I know how Dexter wants it, but we really hated that look. Most of my experiences with the SS were with P1 builds, and many customers complained about it as well. This led me to doing it the way I described. Granted, if any manipulation of the cable was required down the road, there was not enough cable exiting the anchor bolt to do anything with, and a new cable would be required. The other pain in the butt, but what I considered extreme attention to detail, was the cable could not be snipped while the wheel was in place. This meant the adjustments had better be correct, cause the wheel would come out, the cable would be cut and crimped, then the wheel re-inserted. Its been a while since I worked on these, but we had four or five instances where one of the left/right screws? (I think) would need to be backed out almost to disengagement to take affect. They would end up listing to one side or another over time. Not minimizing your experience either! Just different ones. I left the Trek dealer prior to the Pro's coming out, but was under the impression that a whole re-design had been done on them. Not just weight savings?
Never cheer before you know who is winning

morganb

by morganb

Does anyone know if these work on an SL6? The design is so similar to the eeBrake I wonder if they would run into similar fitment issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Get both! Try em out and keep the ones you prefer and report back for the tie breaker please.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

wheelbuilder wrote:
garysol1 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm
Thanos wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 pm
wheelbuilder wrote:I would like to add as a former Trek Mechanic, we all thought the Speed Stop brakes sucked. As a cabling fanatic, contrary to that pic earlier that depicts the cable running to the outside and beyond the right brake shoe before being clipped........I thought that looked really sloppy. I would cut and crimp them about 10mm beyond their exit point so the crimped end would sit about 1mm above the right brake shoe. Looked really good but was very hard to get a perfect cut and not fray the cable in such ridiculously tight quarters. I thought they lacked power, and the adjustment screws would lose functionality over time.
Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. So, I think I can assume the new Pro's would be the same or at least similar, due to the same design, but Ti parts.

Not to minimize wheelbuilders experiences but I need to add that as a current Trek mechanic I have had none of the same issues as Wheelbuilder. First off install as directed by Trek. The PDF file on Dexter outlines exactly how the cabling should be run and whether you like the way it looks or not it is the correct way to do it. It clearly states to run the cable out and clip it so that it rests on the pad holder. We have been installing Speed Stops for as long as they have been out and have simply NOT had any of the same tuning issues as mentioned above and have never had the tuning screws quit working over time.
I hear you, and appreciate your response. I know how Dexter wants it, but we really hated that look. Most of my experiences with the SS were with P1 builds, and many customers complained about it as well. This led me to doing it the way I described. Granted, if any manipulation of the cable was required down the road, there was not enough cable exiting the anchor bolt to do anything with, and a new cable would be required. The other pain in the butt, but what I considered extreme attention to detail, was the cable could not be snipped while the wheel was in place. This meant the adjustments had better be correct, cause the wheel would come out, the cable would be cut and crimped, then the wheel re-inserted. Its been a while since I worked on these, but we had four or five instances where one of the left/right screws? (I think) would need to be backed out almost to disengagement to take affect. They would end up listing to one side or another over time. Not minimizing your experience either! Just different ones. I left the Trek dealer prior to the Pro's coming out, but was under the impression that a whole re-design had been done on them. Not just weight savings?
The ones on the 9 series marine will do the same thing, strip and clean them and they work as new, they don't handle contamination with road debris well.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

garysol1
Shop Owner

by garysol1

wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:39 am
Not minimizing your experience either! Just different ones.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Emonda SLR
Kona JTS
Specialized AWOL
Trek Stache 9.7
Specialized Fatboy

Thanos

by Thanos

Calnago wrote:Get both! Try em out and keep the ones you prefer and report back for the tie breaker please.
Happy to do so.....if you lend me the money Image

Thanos

by Thanos

Ok, I'm going to go for the EE Direct Mount brakes over the Bontrager Speed Stop Pro. Still a little unsure due to costs, but it's proven performance versus an unknown, and I don't really want to be the guinea pig here.

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

I have the Bonty speed stop pro and they work just as well as my Dura Ace 9000 they replaced.

Setup is a little fiddly due to the cable routing but once I set them up I haven't had to touch them since. They very light, mine were 104g.

Not sure the EE brakes are worth the premium!

Thanos

by Thanos

Geordiepaul wrote:I have the Bonty speed stop pro and they work just as well as my Dura Ace 9000 they replaced.

Setup is a little fiddly due to the cable routing but once I set them up I haven't had to touch them since. They very light, mine were 104g.

Not sure the EE brakes are worth the premium!
Thanks for the feedback, but decided to go all in for the EE Brakes, a little lighter (this is WW), a bit better looking to me and a lot more expensive!

Thanos

by Thanos

My new brakes....

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

They look nice. What’s the weight with pad holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanos

by Thanos

pdlpsher1 wrote:They look nice. What’s the weight with pad holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not weighed them, they are at my LBS. I'll get weights next week.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Couldn't help myself. Participating in this thread gave me a bad itch..........installed today!

Thanos

by Thanos

wheelbuilder wrote:Couldn't help myself. Participating in this thread gave me a bad itch..........installed today!

And what are your first impressions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Oh, sorry. I've ridden them before so kind of knew what to expect. Superior in every way to the Red set that they replaced, at almost half the weight. Modulation on par with DA9100 if not a tiny bit better, initial bite and overall power slightly inferior to 9100.