Bontrager Speed Stop Pro or EE Brakes DM

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thanos

by Thanos

I've just recently finished a build of a new 2018 Emonda SLR with Campag Super Record/Record groupset and Record Direct Mount brakes.

It comes in at 5.85kg.

The Record DM brakes are 158g each, so I'm looking to save some weight and I'm thinking of the new 2018 Bontrager Speed Stop Pro brakes or EE DM brakes.

I've read all the threads about the EE brakes, but does anyone have the new Speed Stop Pro brakes yet to compare?

Would appreciate any thoughts. Cheers.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

YOU, my friend, are the man I’ve been waiting to talk to. I love my Campagnolo but not so impressed with their DM brake offering. Quite frankly, it’s just sub-par in quality and design and function compared to their Super Record Skeleton brakes, or even the Chorus calipers for that matter. I really like the latest Shimano DuraAce DM brakes but their latest 9100 calipers don’t play so well with Campy levers so I would guess that their DM offerings, also designed to work best with the same levers as the 9100’s, probably won’t fare much better with Campy levers. That kind of leaves exactly what you’re looking at. The Bontrager Speedstops or the EE’s. They’re both kind of contraptionish and industrial looking so the decision primarily boils down to function. I know the EE’s are superlight but I care far more about function. The Bontragers have some kind of “power adjustment” cam type of thing which basically adjusts things to your preferred “feel” but I would also guess it could be used to match up cable pull with the various different levers, including Campy. So I am very anxious to get a chance to try this out. Perhaps you might be the one to test it. Personally I’d prefer the Bontragers over the EE’s as I can’t get past the piece of springy clotheshanger wire across the things. Plus, I just like what Trek has been doing and think they’re on top of the development game. And I don’t know if the EE’s can be specifically “tuned” to match the specific lever you’re using. But my choice would be the Bonts.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

don't have the new pro, but Bontrager Speed Stop (front) seems not as strong as my EE (rear, under chainstay). It's not a fair comparison as it's not on the same rim and i didn't swap them around to test though.

If we believe what Trek said that the Pro version is simply the Speed Stop with more Titanium parts replacing steel to reduce weight. I'd still choose EE (just because i know it perform well).

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Does anyone have the actual weights of the EEs and the Bont Pros? With pad holders and pads. I have the 9100 DM Dura Ace. I know it’s a boat anchor but I really like the looks of them. With pads they are around 300g.

I have read that the EEs can cause damage to the paint/frames if the handlebar is swung to the extreme too hard. The Dura Ace doesn’t have this problem. Do the Bonts have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The DuraAce are the way to go for sure. But at least the 9100 Standard Mounts didn’t work well with Campy levers, so I suspect neither would the Direct Mounts. Sorry, I reread the OP’s post and it does appear he’s trying to save weight. In that case, probably the EE’s are the lightest. Still trying to determine how well the Bonts play with Campy levers however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The DuraAce are the way to go for sure. But at least the 9100 Standard Mounts didn’t work well with Campy levers, so I suspect neither would the Direct Mounts. Sorry, I reread the OP’s post and it does appear he’s trying to save weight. In that case, probably the EE’s are the lightest. Still trying to determine how well the Bonts play with Campy levers however.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Do any of the Treks come with Campy groups? They would have to solve the compatibility issue.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I use EE brakes with DA 9000 and they work exceptionally well. Great power and modulation, and easy to set up for either narrower or wide rims.
The EE Aero version are a lot neater looking than the standard version.
I had a look at the Bontrager Speed Stop, but their cable routing makes it really difficult to adjust the cable. It sits right next to the brake pad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 am
Do any of the Treks come with Campy groups? They would have to solve the compatibility issue.
Not any more. Been that way for some years now. If you want to do a Campy install in a Trek with BB90, it’s pretty simple. You just need their BB adapter kit. The Bonts work with Campy due to the variable “power adjustment”. I just don’t know how well. As I said, I love the Shimano calipers but they don’t work so nice with Campy levers, which is what the OP has and is asking about. Wants light DM brakes that work with his Campy levers.
Last edited by Calnago on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My TCR, with regular mount EE brakes (Black Prince pads) on Shimano mount DT Swiss Spline 28 Mon Chasseral wheels has the best braking I've ever experienced. My Oltre XR4, with DM EE brakes (Campy red pads) on Shimano mount Campy Bora Ultra 50 clinchers has pretty mediocre braking.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Wookski

by Wookski

Noctiluxx wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:24 am
My TCR, with regular mount EE brakes (Black Prince pads) on Shimano mount DT Swiss Spline 28 Mon Chasseral wheels has the best braking I've ever experienced. My Oltre XR4, with DM EE brakes (Campy red pads) on Shimano mount Campy Bora Ultra 50 clinchers has pretty mediocre braking.
That’s your bike rejecting Shimagnolo

garysol1
Shop Owner

by garysol1

Ozrider wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 am

I had a look at the Bontrager Speed Stop, but their cable routing makes it really difficult to adjust the cable. It sits right next to the brake pad.

Actually no. Cable routing on the Bontragers make perfect sense once they are on the bike and set up and adjustment is super easy. Performance at least with the Shimano levers is excellent. Today I was handling the EE DM calipers and wow were they sexy and light. I may need to give them a go.
Emonda SLR
Kona JTS
Specialized AWOL
Trek Stache 9.7
Specialized Fatboy

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:41 am
Does anyone have the actual weights of the EEs and the Bont Pros? With pad holders and pads.

Just got my ee DM brakes for a Tarmac SL6, so the rear one is a little different than standard, but weight was a little lighter than the standard front one. With pad holders but without pads, they were 77-78 grams each with all the hardware, excluding the spacers used to adjust for rim width.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The Bontys adjustments include base settings for Sram, Shimano and Campy with the ability to adjust to preferred feel from there. I set a pair up on an Edmonda last year after realizing their problem was that they had been fiddled with, read the manual, reset them to "zero" and dialled them in on newwer wide C35s. The ability to dial in lever feel independent of throw was quite nice.

Cal, hunt a set down and I highly doubt you will be disappointed, DM EE feel much more wooden and lifeless IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Nefarious, I don't need a set now as I have no DM bikes. But I have been playing around with some on friends bikes... that's how I got very familiar with the Campy offering (not so great). I'd imagine the Bontrager Speedstops would be my goto if I need a set at some point (C64 where are you, ha). I read the manual and stuff on them, and it didn't even mention Campy or any "base settings", but it did say they had the ability through that "power adjustment" (fancy name for that cam thingy) to work with all levers. So, I'm sure they could be dialed in specifically for Campy. I'm just not a big fan of that industrial contraption look. I think the new Shimano brakes, either DM or Standard Mount... are the nicest out there at the moment. Probably not the first choice for a die hard Gram Counter however.