Aesthetics of dropped seat stays

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 pm
they are shorter, so less material, so they are lighter, right?
You are clearly not an engineer (nor architect) with a basic understanding of how shape translates to strength.
Shorter ≠ less material ≠ lighter.

There are too many factors involved. At the very base, using the same material, you can use less material with longer seat-stays and be lighter than the shorter seat-stays using the same material.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mtek

by Mtek

I prefer the short stays, visually it looks more modern to me. Then again, I also prefer the look of disc brakes so I may be in the distinct minority.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

prendrefeu wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 pm
You are clearly not an engineer (nor architect) with a basic understanding of how shape translates to strength.
Shorter ≠ less material ≠ lighter.

There are too many factors involved. At the very base, using the same material, you can use less material with longer seat-stays and be lighter than the shorter seat-stays using the same material.
And you clearly are not well versed in cynicism or sarcasm. As previously stated, I was intentionally being facetious.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Sarcasm is not easily translated on a digital platform. Assuming that another person, whom you do not know and whom does not know you personally, would understand your intentions as a hidden language beyond what you are writing is a bit naïve.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

prendrefeu wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:22 am
Sarcasm is not easily translated on a digital platform. Assuming that another person, whom you do not know and whom does not know you personally, would understand your intentions as a hidden language beyond what you are writing is a bit naïve.
I had hoped that with the "This being weight weenies" comment I was laying it on pretty thick. A disclaimer has subsuquently been added to my signature lest anyone has any further confusion as to my intentions if they aren't being explicitly helpful to the OP. :thumbup:
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

hambini

by hambini

As I'm not one to really look at my seat stays whilst riding and generally want to get from A to B as fast as possible. I'm one for the dropped seat stays. The seat says themselves make little difference but in my wind tunnel and cfd testing they improved the airflow over the back wheel.

So they are + for me.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

hambini wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:38 pm
As I'm not one to really look at my seat stays whilst riding and generally want to get from A to B as fast as possible. I'm one for the dropped seat stays. The seat says themselves make little difference but in my wind tunnel and cfd testing they improved the airflow over the back wheel.
Even when your legs are flailing away in front of them? And what about when you're off the bike, taking a well deserved break. Don't you just enjoy marvelling at the beauty of such a fine piece of machinery? Of course, I suppose one man's beauty is another man's ugly, so that could be argued either way of course... but they're still ugly despite any arguments otherwsie, cuz I don't care what that "other man" thinks. :)
I guess I'm never in that much of a hurry to get somewhere that I can't stop to appreciate what stopping has to offer. Will anyone miss me if I'm a few seconds slower getting to my destination... I don't think so. Hell... they'd hardly miss me if I never get there.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rajMAN

by rajMAN

I dare not suggest dropped seat stays are any kind of marketing gimmick, but how last year does the Spesh SL5 look compared to the Emperor's new dog this year. Of course nobody wants to look so last year!! :shock:

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

rajMAN wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I dare not suggest dropped seat stays are any kind of marketing gimmick, but how last year does the Spesh SL5 look compared to the Emperor's new dog this year. Of course nobody wants to look so last year!! :shock:
It may be safe to assume they were building off the marketing success of the Venge ViAS and Allez Sprint. :mrgreen:

Geodroid

by Geodroid

Calnago wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm
Of course bike aesthetics factor in to my decision making process. And you’ve just reminded me of another talking point for my C64 thread. Thank you.

But the c64 doesn't have dropped seat stays

Konsi

by Konsi

Looking on some bike drawings I made as a teenager, some 15 years ago, I always wanted dropped seatstays and disc brakes. So many of the most recent bikes really fit my personal taste.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Geodroid wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm
Of course bike aesthetics factor in to my decision making process. And you’ve just reminded me of another talking point for my C64 thread. Thank you.

But the c64 doesn't have dropped seat stays
Yes, I know... that was the point and one which I did talk about in my C64 thread. I viewed that as a plus.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

1415chris

by 1415chris

Konsi wrote:Looking on some bike drawings I made as a teenager, some 15 years ago, I always wanted dropped seatstays and disc brakes. So many of the most recent bikes really fit my personal taste.
Sir, I have to admit, you have such a bad taste! ImageImage

Js2

by Js2

Performance and compliance aside, dropped seat stays looks good on modern frames with beefy tubes. I really liked the BMC teammachine (probably the starter of the drop seat stay trend?)

But I also like horizontal tt with non-dropped seat stay (SSEVO, steel/ti bike), so the solution is N+1 :P

AlloyAddict

by AlloyAddict

Although they may represent technological gains, seeing road bikes with sloping top tubes, dropped seat stays and disc brakes make me sad.

On the other hand, I'm all for the evolution towards riding smaller/more compact frames that show off longer seatposts and stems.

What a great thread to show we all have different tastes!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com