New bike - S-Works Tarmac (2014) or new Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

krisJ

by krisJ

Hi all.

Ive been reading the forums here for a while now, and ive decided that I want to get back in the saddle after taking a few years off.

So I know the two bikes are very different, but it's currently the two im looking at.

The first is a used S-Works Tarmac from 2014, with Dura Ace 9000, and a pair of Zipp 303 Firecrest. The guy has only used it as a sparebike, and it doesn't have more than 2500km (The Zipp's has gone a bit more). The bike is allmost as new looking, with zero scratches or anything like that. I really think it's a tempting offer, but I gotta admit that im a bit hesitant with buying a 4 year old bike, even though it hasn't been used (more or less).

The second bike im looking at is the Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Ultegra Di2 which I think is an amazing looking bike, and talking to Canyon they claim that it's not too aggressive and can also be used on longer rides.

Im gonna ride quite alot by myself, which is why im looking at an Aeroad. But im nowhere elitist or anything, I just want a good bike that I can use for a long time and be happy with!

Also, the S-Works is about 1.700 $ cheaper, which is also worth noticing. And I don't really wanna spend more than 6-6.200$ on a new bike.

So, what are your recommendations? If you have any!

Kind regards

Kristoffer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

buy the aeroad. Because you think it looks better.
Chasse patate

krisJ

by krisJ

Indeed. It looks way better.

Shrike

by Shrike

The missus does 100 miles + rides on her Aeroad and she's been cycling less than 2 years. It's definitely an aggressive bike, but like most bikes, it's not ridiculous unless you slam it. Tarmac will be easier to climb with. The Aeroad really throws you over the front when out of the saddle due to the low front end which will take much more getting used to than a traditional frame. Even in the saddle climbing will be better on the Tarmac. You're in a position that's less stretched out and allows you to engage your core easier. Aero bikes generally are not the best for climbing with for long periods of time. I love my aero bike, but climbing on it has a slightly higher learning curve, maybe that's the best way I could put it.

Talking generally of course, will depend how you set it up in the end. I've got an 140mm -12 stem on there at the moment, so you can guess it's not exactly tailored for 2 hours up Ventoux of whatever. It's a wannabe TT bike.

I'd choose between these depending on riding style. If you're an aggressive rider, training regularly, chasing every watt and second, even if just recreationally out on your own at the weekends, nice rolling roads, some hilly routes, but nothing you can't punch up within 10 to 15 minutes, then the Aeroad by a mile. No contest. If you're a bit more relaxed about personal performance, doing a lot of long and slow climbing, cafe stops with your mates, camera slung over your back and doing no-hander footage etc then it's the Tarmac by a mile.

If you don't care about any of that and just want the better looking bike, which I definitely couldn't fault you for then it's the Aeroad. It's a showstopper.

Edit: that's just my personal criteria by the way, everyone chooses bikes in different ways, none right or wrong :P

morganb

by morganb

Shrike wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:23 pm
The missus does 100 miles + rides on her Aeroad and she's been cycling less than 2 years. It's definitely an aggressive bike, but like most bikes, it's not ridiculous unless you slam it. Tarmac will be easier to climb with. The Aeroad really throws you over the front when out of the saddle due to the low front end which will take much more getting used to than a traditional frame. Even in the saddle climbing will be better on the Tarmac. You're in a position that's less stretched out and allows you to engage your core easier. Aero bikes generally are not the best for climbing with for long periods of time. I love my aero bike, but climbing on it has a slightly higher learning curve, maybe that's the best way I could put it.

Talking generally of course, will depend how you set it up in the end. I've got an 140mm -12 stem on there at the moment, so you can guess it's not exactly tailored for 2 hours up Ventoux of whatever. It's a wannabe TT bike.

I'd choose between these depending on riding style. If you're an aggressive rider, training regularly, chasing every watt and second, even if just recreationally out on your own at the weekends, nice rolling roads, some hilly routes, but nothing you can't punch up within 10 to 15 minutes, then the Aeroad by a mile. No contest. If you're a bit more relaxed about personal performance, doing a lot of long and slow climbing, cafe stops with your mates, camera slung over your back and doing no-hander footage etc then it's the Tarmac by a mile.

If you don't care about any of that and just want the better looking bike, which I definitely couldn't fault you for then it's the Aeroad. It's a showstopper.

Edit: that's just my personal criteria by the way, everyone chooses bikes in different ways, none right or wrong :P
Who makes a -12 stem that fits the Aeroad steerer?

Shrike

by Shrike

morganb wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm
Shrike wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Who makes a -12 stem that fits the Aeroad steerer?
No clue, I ride an S5.

krisJ

by krisJ

Thanks for the reply Shrike.

After reading what you wrote I feel pretty confident in buying the Aeroad. It's such a stunning bike. And while not being an elite rider I still take my training seriously. So yeah, im probably gonna go for the Canyon! And I don't mind spending the extra 1.700 $ aswell, when the bikes looks as awesome as it does. :)

guyc

by guyc

Slight curveball - the equivalent spec Ultimate. Arguably the better bike for most people more of the time.

moonoi

by moonoi

Having owned both a 2014 S Works Tarmac and a 2017 Aeroad SLX, I would have to say the Aeroad. Even its a lower more stretched out position, it's actually more comfortable. The SL4 is so stiff in comparison it feels like you're being beaten up after more than a few hours in the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

guyc wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm
Slight curveball - the equivalent spec Ultimate. Arguably the better bike for most people more of the time.
+1
2016 Diverge Expert

dcorn

by dcorn

I just went from a 2012 S-works Tarmac to a brand new Aeroad Disc Di2.

The fit on the Aeroad is super aggressive, like hard for me to ride in the drops low, and that's with all the stock spacers under the stem. Reach is pretty long as well so you will be stretched out. The handling is a bit twitchy when going slowly around sharp corners, but I've only had a few rides so I'm still getting used to the bike. The ride is very smooth for a stiff aero bike, but I chalk that up to the wide wheels stretching out the tires. The 23/25mm tires measure 25/27mm on the stock Reynolds Strike wheels and have a lot of volume, so that adds a lot of compliance on rough roads.

I had the Tarmac for 6 years and loved the handling. Very easy to maneuver and could bomb down curvy hills with confidence. The ride seemed fine to me, not noticeably bad by any means but probably would be better if you could run wider tires. I had 25's on it, but they were on skinny Mavic wheels. I did 100 mile rides with lots of climbing and survived ok. Was going to buy a new Tarmac disc, but I got tired of waiting for the release and got the Canyon.

I kind of agree with the other two guys though, the Ultimate might be a good happy medium between the two. I wanted the aeroad because I've always liked aero looking bikes, and I think the Ultimate just looks too fragile with all its thin tubes and fork.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

This thread is making my life harder choosing between the Aeroad and the Ultimate. I keep going back and forth between the two.

krisJ

by krisJ

Well ive also thought about the Ultimate slx Di2. But I think im gonna go for the Aeroad. It looks amazing, and ive only heard good things about it. So probably gonna order within the next few days.

Shrike

by Shrike

What colour you thinking of going for? Balls out with Katusha or broody and bat bike? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krisJ

by krisJ

Seeing those, just makes me want one even more! :D Defiantly going with one in Black! Looks amazing if you ask me. ;)