New bike - S-Works Tarmac (2014) or new Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

calleking

by calleking

I have one since 2015 and i'm extremely happy with it. Very stiff, extremely fast and climbs very very good as it weights 6,98kg without pedals. Tried an S-Works Tarmac and it's a great bike too but somehow when you start pushing the Aeroad it feels even better. That's the first sensation I got from the bike and 3 years later it's still so much fun to really push the bike. I run a medium slammed and i'm 5'10. With all the spacers the position is not extreme at all. You can ignore the comment above about the Tarmac engaging your core more during climbing. Feeling comfortable and being able to deliver power on a bike is all about having a good bike fit and being used to that position. The fit can be achieved on both the Aeroad and the Tarmac for almost anyone. Also, comfort is mostly achieved with tyre pressure and rim/tyre selection not frame selection despite all the talk about dropped seatstays and whatnot. I run 25mm Michelin Power Competition on ENVE 4.5s and bike feels very smooth with correct pressure for my weight. 28mm's will also fit depending on how true the tyre stays to it's advertised size.

I'm sure the Ultimate is a brilliant bike and perhaps a bit more comfy but they are very close. If you like the look of the Aeroad more and if only the aesthetics will make you ride more I'd say it's worth it the difference.

Here's a crappy pic of my Aeroad along my mates S-Works Tarmac. Box rim vs deep section wheels sure isn't fair to compare but still gives you an idea. The color on the Tarmac is fantastic I must admit but matte black isn't bad either :)
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jian81

by Jian81

Shrike wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 pm
What colour you thinking of going for? Balls out with Katusha or broody and bat bike? :D

Katusha for me. Full black bikes are everywhere and boring. Since you're already paying so much, my as well get a bike that aesthetically speaking, looks like a designer actually put effort into designing it with the amazing colour coordination. Full black bikes just look like your typical chinese open mould frames with no colour design.

calleking

by calleking

The Katusha one is not sold anymore only the standard red one - at least here in EU. I've looked on ebay for months and when they pop up (usually german ebay) they are already gone. Black one does look good and not like chinese open mould frames when you see them live. I would swap to the Katusha one in a heartbeat if I ever found one.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

krisJ

by krisJ

Yeah, the standard Red colour just ain't my thing. So defiantly going with one in black! But the Katusha looks sweet, I wish it was available.

Hastur

by Hastur

Just wondering, is the Tarmac a SL4 or a "SL5"? :-)
Last edited by Hastur on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

krisJ wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 am
Yeah, the standard Red colour just ain't my thing. So defiantly going with one in black! But the Katusha looks sweet, I wish it was available.
Katusha is available and will continue to be available for as long as Canyon sponsor them. At the moment there aren't many sizes left:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/factory-ou ... a&id=21513

Full stock list is usually at this link:
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/factory-ou ... ry=Katusha

Restocking happens at the end of every season so you've just missed out. Prices are usually really nice, you know which rider used it, and they come with excellent kit. The worst wear they have is cosmetic. None of them are ever cracked or in shady condition. Personally I'd love one, probably the only bike I'd trade my S5 for if someone was doing a straight swap.

Anyway, the black looks immense, definitely don't agree that it looks anything like a cheap Chinese open mold bike. I have one sitting in the house and it makes my latest model S5 look dated.

sawyer

by sawyer

Aeroad is better than S-works, no question. I've owned the former, and ridden the latter. Just a faster, more comfortable, more lively bike.

If you want a really WW build, then go Ultimate. Otherwise I'd take the Aeroad over it.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

krisJ

by krisJ

It's not that im looking to build a WW, I just want a good bike to ride. ;)

But now that im about to order one, im starting to doubt if i really need the Ultegra Di2, or if I should just go with the mechanical groupset instead, just to save abit of money. Is the difference in shifting between the two very noticible?

And first I didn't want disc brakes, but if I skip the Di2 I could and go with the mechanical and disc brakes.

Hmm... So many desicions to make when buying a new bike. ;)

Edit: So nevermind the version with mech Ultegra and Disc brakes, it's currently unavailable, so it's either the version with standard brakes and mechanical ultegra or the Di2.
Last edited by krisJ on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bilwit

by bilwit

why not a Canyon Ultimate? :P

krisJ

by krisJ

bilwit wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:51 pm
why not a Canyon Ultimate? :P
The Aeroad just looks better, and i've only heard good things about it. ;)

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

krisJ what bike are you coming from?
2016 Diverge Expert

krisJ

by krisJ

vinuneuro wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm
krisJ what bike are you coming from?
The last bike I had was a 2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo. I sold it back in 2016 due to injury, and I haven't had a bike since then. I never really felt that comfortable on the Cannondale, but that was probably mostly due to the frame just being to big for me. It was a size 56, and even though I did several adjustments, I never really felt good to me.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Be careful with Aeroad sizing then. It's a long and low bike, so sizing is bound to feel big (ie, long reach) for any given frame size.

krisJ

by krisJ

Bordcla wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:27 pm
Be careful with Aeroad sizing then. It's a long and low bike, so sizing is bound to feel big (ie, long reach) for any given frame size.
Having talked to Canyon, they recommend that I get a size S, which I think sounds reasonable. Im 176 cm tall, and a inseam length of 82cm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bordcla

by Bordcla

krisJ wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 pm
Bordcla wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:27 pm
Having talked to Canyon, they recommend that I get a size S, which I think sounds reasonable. Im 176 cm tall, and a inseam length of 82cm.
Position will be short, but quite low. As long as you are comfortable that way...!