S works tarmac tyre clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rhepplewhite

by Rhepplewhite

Hi,

Sorry but I’ve lost my log in details! :noidea:

I’ve got a 2016 tarmac s works. Love the bike but after all the info around wider tyres on wider rims I put some schwalbe pro ones 25mm on my DT Swiss r411 rims. The tyres come up 27mm wide so no issues there. But, the height on the tyre is only 2mm away from the brake bridge on the rear wheel stays. No problems on the front wheel. I’ve seen that a lot of guys on here run 25mm tyres on the tarmac frame but I can’t see any mention of the tight clearance at the brake bridge. Does this sound ok to ride?
I’ve tried continentals gp4000s and the same issue occurs. Anyone have any ideas for a wide but low height tyre?!
Thanks in advance
Ross

Marin

by Marin

The casing is always round, so the same width means the same casing height.

Any height difference can only come from the thickness of the tread rubber, so you are probably looking for light time trial tires, like Conti Force/Attack maybe?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

I have a 28mm Open Corsa G+ on a Velocity Quill (21mm internal) on my 2016 Tarmac with no clearance issues.

Rhepplewhite

by Rhepplewhite

morganb wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 pm
I have a 28mm Open Corsa G+ on a Velocity Quill (21mm internal) on my 2016 Tarmac with no clearance issues.
Thanks for the reply, how high / tall does does the tyre come in at?

fa63

by fa63

I have a Giant TCR with limited clearance to the area behind the bottom bracket, so tall tires do not fit (plenty of room laterally). For example, I couldn't get a 25mm Michelin Pro 4 on HED Belgium+ rims in there; I doubt a 25mm Continental would fit either. I currently run 26mm Specialized S-Works Turbo tires, and the tire is substantially shorter than the others I mentioned so it fits nicely. I have been happy with the tires too; they seem to grip and roll well.

Good luck.

Rhepplewhite

by Rhepplewhite

Quick update.

Got the 26mm S-Works turbo. No fitting issues at all at the moment. Good brake bridge clearance and chainstay gaps.
Thanks for the suggestion

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com