What are the advantages of electronic gears?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 pm
I've got to worry about batteries in cadence sensor, speed sensor, power meter, GPS computer and cell phone. Is it a step to far with electronic shifting too?
I like the idea of SRAM red etap though.
1) Every power meter has cadence built-in, even the PowerTap hub.
2) GPS based speed is good enough for me. When it isn't the CR2032 in my speed sensor lasts over a year and doesn't ruin my ride if the battery dies.
3) If you ever get eTap, charge the batteries once every two weeks or so. Make it a ritual...do it at the same time as washing your bike or relubing your chain.
4) You forgot lights, HRM, etc.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:26 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 pm
I've got to worry about batteries in cadence sensor, speed sensor, power meter, GPS computer and cell phone. Is it a step to far with electronic shifting too?
I like the idea of SRAM red etap though.
1) Every power meter has cadence built-in, even the PowerTap hub.
2) GPS based speed is good enough for me. When it isn't the CR2032 in my speed sensor lasts over a year and doesn't ruin my ride if the battery dies.
3) If you ever get eTap, charge the batteries once every two weeks or so. Make it a ritual...do it at the same time as washing your bike or relubing your chain.
4) You forgot lights, HRM, etc.
1. Powerpod needs a cadence sensor.
2. I prefer having a speed sensor and those CR2032 devices are very reliable I have to admit.
3. It's OK to make recharging a ritual and with a nice new etap or Di2 in the summer everything will be fine. However this never stays like it. Winter comes and in hammers the hell out these rechargeable lithium batteries, especially when it gets sub zero. Also over time charge is much reduced. My Garmin Edge 520 is down to 6 hours from 12 (it's the second one and the same thing happened to the first so it's not an anomaly). My iphone 6 now has a terrible battery and can't even predict what percentage charge it has. I admit things with a simple CR2032 like a HRM or speed sensor are great, but then environmentally questionable.
4. Yes I few things.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LMAO the PowerPod. Why would you even mention that device? It reminds me of GWB's “You forgot Poland!” moment. Technically it’s not even a power meter since it doesn’t measure torque or angular velocity at any point. It is basically a juiced up version of Strava’s “estimated watts.”