Return to the Bike....Cracking around Seat-Stay

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dooey

by dooey

Hi all,

After 5 or so years off the bike I've made the return. My BMC SLX01 has just been fully serviced with new drivetrain fitted and is ready to go, however, I've just noticed some cracking around where the seat-stay meets the seat-tube (carbon to aluminium junction). Is this something to be concerned about?

jlok

by jlok

Obviously you should call your BMC dealer now and hopefully it's replaced under warranty.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maximilian

by Maximilian

It looks like the bond between the carbon stays and alu seat tube has failed. What year is the frame, 2009? You can try contacting BMC but I think they're likely to say that it has reached the end of its service life.

Svetty

by Svetty

Hard to tell from photos but looks more like a paint crack than the carbon?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Svetty wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm
Hard to tell from photos but looks more like a paint crack than the carbon?
It's a carbon seat stay bonded to an aluminum seat tube. I was thinking the same thing, but my concern here would be that whatever adhesive they used to bond the stay to the tube has failed, or is in the process of failing.

@dooey if BMC can't help you out with it, you might reach out to a repair shop such as maybe Calfee and see if it can be fixed. Beautiful frame, I always loved the junctions with the top tube and stays with the seat tube.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.