Edit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sooni

by sooni

Edit
Last edited by sooni on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

muti

by muti

Having had the same dilemma, I would lean towards the Cinelli for
the following reasons
-Cinelli is owned by Columbus and they "reserve "the best tubing (spirit in this case)for themselves
-Cinelli is actually welded by cicli Braco, one of the most respected framebuilders in Italy.The modern De Rosa craftsmanship leaves a lot to be asked (and that coming from a person who was racing DeRosas in mid 90s in Italy )
-Better fork on the Cinelli.
-The geometry can be customised on both so there is not an issue there.
However, if you are on the market for a tig welded steel frame, I suggest you to look at Zullo. He is the most respected framebuilder for tig and a pleasure to work with. The price in Europe for the Inqubo is 2550 euros with Columbus fork and Chris King inset 1 headset (one small detail the headset in installed by them so no "mechanic"can mess it up).The tubeset is custom drawn deda eos16.5 as in the Corum which typically is indeed lighter than Spirit and gives a little bit harsher ride. But when you decide to make a (brave) decision to buy a steel frame, weight should not be an issue. A steel frame IS going to be heavy.
I hope this helps. But in the end of the day, buy what YOU like the best! After 31 years of cycling, I learnt that the appeal of a frame to a person is a factor not to be underestimated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sooni

by sooni

muti wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 am
Having had the same dilemma, I would lean towards the Cinelli for
the following reasons
-Cinelli is owned by Columbus and they "reserve "the best tubing (spirit in this case)for themselves
-Cinelli is actually welded by cicli Braco, one of the most respected framebuilders in Italy.The modern De Rosa craftsmanship leaves a lot to be asked (and that coming from a person who was racing DeRosas in mid 90s in Italy )
-Better fork on the Cinelli.
-The geometry can be customised on both so there is not an issue there.
However, if you are on the market for a tig welded steel frame, I suggest you to look at Zullo. He is the most respected framebuilder for tig and a pleasure to work with. The price in Europe for the Inqubo is 2550 euros with Columbus fork and Chris King inset 1 headset (one small detail the headset in installed by them so no "mechanic"can mess it up).The tubeset is custom drawn deda eos16.5 as in the Corum which typically is indeed lighter than Spirit and gives a little bit harsher ride. But when you decide to make a (brave) decision to buy a steel frame, weight should not be an issue. A steel frame IS going to be heavy.
I hope this helps. But in the end of the day, buy what YOU like the best! After 31 years of cycling, I learnt that the appeal of a frame to a person is a factor not to be underestimated!
Thanks - The Inqubo is a beautiful frame, although it would push up the cost about 1100 Euros. I will keep my eye on it.

That is interesting about the fork on the De Rosa. While souring the internet the only other info I could find was that someone was complaining about flex.

Also, good to know that the 100g weight reduction with the DeRosa comes at the expense of comfort.

muti

by muti

You are welcome! If Cinelli clicks in your heart, then Cinelli it is! You will have a loyal companion for years to come.Just check if it is 2017 or 2018 model because they changed the bottom bracket from press fit 86.5 to bsa.

mriddle

by mriddle

I’ve owned a 2009 Corum that I no longer have. It was a wonderful bike that did everything well. Craftsmanship and paint were world class.

Never owned a Nemo but they come in purple!

Press fit would be a no go for me.

muti

by muti

I truly believe that 2009 Corum was a great bike. But since then a lot of things have changed at De Rosa. Doriano De Rosa ,who was responsible for the tig welded frames and built all titanium and most Corums, has left the company to form Bixxis bikes. Their quality is exquisite, a true sample of one of the last maestros of framebuilding.I was referring to current DeRosa steel production.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com