DT Swiss PR1400 Diecut Oxic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Was thinking about picking up a set of these for rain days (have Zipp 202s). Anyone here using them? They seem to get fantastic reviews from users.

One hitch is NO Campagnolo compatibility which could be a deal breaker. Wonder if you can simply install a DT Swiss Campagnolo cassette body?

Apv

by Apv

I've commented on them twice so far. Overall I like them both for performance and aesthetics.
Not sure if the ceramic coating actually makes a difference in braking or if its due to the Swissstop pads they recommend.
They chew threw new pads and can leave a layer of blue dust, but this stop after after the initial wear (of around 100-200 km)

Have a video for freehub sound as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5rE5nx6l0&t=21s

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=130520&start=90

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=144537

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:30 pm
One hitch is NO Campagnolo compatibility which could be a deal breaker. Wonder if you can simply install a DT Swiss Campagnolo cassette body
Campagnolo cassette body with part number HWYABX00S1296S works according to DT's compatibility charts:
https://d2a13k6araex7u.cloudfront.net/f ... D_2018.pdf
https://d2a13k6araex7u.cloudfront.net/f ... MY2017.pdf

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Or simply use a Shimano cassette: 100% compatible with Campy shifting.

torinb

by torinb

I have these, with Campagnolo drivetrain, and Shimano cassette works perfectly. Very good wheels!

Kayba

by Kayba

A less happy customer here. I have had the wheels for 4 months now, used them extensively in the rain and have to report that the rear hub makes some kind of a grinding noise as soon as it starts raining. I have been a DT Swiss fan for over a decade but the rear hub is not up the standards we can expect from DT Swiss. As soon as it stops raining, the sound disappears, but this shouldn't happen. The sound comes from a contact between the end cap and the (moving) hub shell (see pic). The paint is starting to wear off at the joint. The rear rim is also a PITA to mount tires tubeless (opposite to the front rim where you can mount a tire tubeless without a any problem). Whenever the rear tire deflates, one side also comes off the bead socket immediately (due to the assymetrical design of the rim causing a very narrow bead socket on one side). To end with a positive note, the Oxic coating is really good as is the braking (with the right brake pads).
Attachments
IMG_7910.JPG

floppyb

by floppyb

Anyone have updates on whether the brake track stays black?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the rear tubeless tyre does not unseat due to its asymmetrical design. it is the lack of a bump next to the well in the rim. bluntly it is tubeless compatible in name only. Also, the bead hook on these rims is a bit too sharp and it is perpendicular to the rim (mavic UST is a good example of how the hook should be orientated). DT Swiss have not talked to tubeless tyre manufacturers before designing the new series of rims. If the had or bothered to look at Mavic UST, Shimano/Hutchinson standards then they would have realised they have designed a problem.

Your squeeky hub is the least of this wheels problems.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:16 pm
the rear tubeless tyre does not unseat due to its asymmetrical design. it is the lack of a bump next to the well in the rim. bluntly it is tubeless compatible in name only. Also, the bead hook on these rims is a bit too sharp and it is perpendicular to the rim (mavic UST is a good example of how the hook should be orientated). DT Swiss have not talked to tubeless tyre manufacturers before designing the new series of rims. If the had or bothered to look at Mavic UST, Shimano/Hutchinson standards then they would have realised they have designed a problem.

Your squeeky hub is the least of this wheels problems.
Weird, because I've been running the DT Swiss RR21 Dicut for well over a year and although I've switched back to tubes for cost and simplicity reasons I've done a good 5000kms on these wheels tubless with Maxxis Padrone (awful), Schwalbe Pro One (fragile) and Panaracer Race A Evo 3 (good), without any issue. The wheels are designed on the larger end of the diameter as a fail safe, although that make tire install with new tires a bit of a PITA.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

sample of one even with three tyres. the failure rate is very low so unless you are very unlucky you won't know. I have seen a small number of tubeless tyre failures and it clusters on DT Swiss rims. no failures on the good tubeless rims, Kinlin, Shimano, Campagnolo 2 way fit and others. I did ask DT Swiss about this problem and they dont recognise it. What I do know tyre manufactuers do design there tyres around a particular tubeless standard. Mostly the Shimano/hutchinson standard from 2006. Its not a problem with the tyres either as it happens to more than one brand.

Mavic rim cross section is the one I have to hand. compare it to the DT Swiss rim cross section and note the lack of the bump next to the well and the orientation of the bead hook. The size of the DT Swiss bead hook is also an issue I think. DT Swiss seem to think they know better than tyre manufacturers. Of course this means tyres need to be reinforced because of manufacturers like DT Swiss.
Image Image

shonanmike

by shonanmike

Owned these rims a few months back. Good looking and not too heavy but as another poster mentioned, absolutely crap when run tubeless. Used them with IRC tubeless tires and had the front and rear spontaneously deflate while riding. The bead detached from one side of the rim. Dangerously poor design.

exctasy

by exctasy

I'm deciding between the 21mm and the latest 32mm depth for the wife, who just started cycling.
The 21mm is lighter and cheaper.
Wondering if the 32mm would have any benefit for her.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

No experience with running tubeless on this wheelset, but been super happy with them so far running clincher. for $700 bucks, this wheelset is a beauty and ride flawless so far. I don't ride in the wet and black coating still in tact after 1200 miles.

Hex

by Hex

asiantrick wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm
No experience with running tubeless on this wheelset, but been super happy with them so far running clincher. for $700 bucks, this wheelset is a beauty and ride flawless so far. I don't ride in the wet and black coating still in tact after 1200 miles.

Still happy with these? Been considering them along with fulcrum racing zero nite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

appleaik

by appleaik

asiantrick wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm
이 wheelset에 tubeless을 보이고 있어 아니 경험이었지만 슈퍼들 지금까지 결정적 요인입니다를 실행하는 행복하지. 700달러 불을 가지고 이 wheelset은 아름다움과 타고 지금까지 완벽한. 나는 비에 젖어 있었고, 검은 코팅에 여전히 안정적으로 1200마일을 달리고 난 뒤 타지 않는다.

very nice bike and wheels.
i wanna get it !!