Winter tyres - Tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

willmac

by willmac

Yeah, Denmark is tough in winter. We mostly default to Durano Plus for the season to prevent flats.. sealant is caffelatex and no problems with it during the rest of the year

dvq

by dvq

I've still running down a set of 28mm Sectors for my winter tires, I stopped using the IRC X-Guard after a failure, I prefer the Sectors so far, wet grip is just fine. Just adding my anecdotal experience since there seem to be a lot of IRC shills here :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Yes the winters in Denmark can be really tough on tyres :D that’s why I wanted a tough set of tyres, so right now I think we are down to the sectors or irc tyres, and I won’t be using Stan’s sealant

Multebear

by Multebear

@Attermann I'm not sure tubeless is the right solution for the danish winters. With the amount of flint in Denmark, you need something truly puncture resistant, and not something, that fixes punctures while riding. You will get so many flats, that I have my doubts the tubeless setup will be able to catch up to all of them.

Schwalbe Durano Plus with inner tubes are very puncture resistant. And if you want to avoid punctures completely during winter in Denmark, additional inner tube protector liners will help even more.

willmac

by willmac

Yeah, that’s what I was alluding to above. Tubeless tyres are very good at sealing the occasional puncture but none of them are really puncture resistant in the first place and therefore rely on sealant for that job. It’s not a viable solution in DK as you are basically asking the sealant to seal up holes every single time you head out on the bike. Summer is different. I ran a set of pro one’s for over 2,000kms and didn’t have to stop on the side of the road once.

Attermann

by Attermann

I am running a pair of clement strada lgg with a tube, I get maybe 10 punctures in a winter season, so I don’t think that’s too bad, aren’t those two tyres in the same category as the strada ?

willmac

by willmac

I have been running Michelin all seasons for the past winter and although I didn’t get any punctures, this year I did get fed up with the amount of drag they have. I am experimenting with using Vittoria Rubino Pro control. 1,100kms logged so far and 2 punctures. They definitely ride and roll better than duranos but obviously at some cost in regards to durability. Grip is good and flat rate so far is acceptable. Let’s see how the rest of the season goes

xcnick

by xcnick

What sealant are you guys using in your tubeless setups?

bobones

by bobones

Earlier in the winter I ran 25mm Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance Tubeless (not the lighter tubeless ready version) front and back, but the rear continually punctured as it seem to attract small pieces of flint, which would adhere to the tyre, perhaps due to its tacky and grippy compound.

At time I was using Stans sealant and these punctures were not sealing, so I switched the rear tyre to the lighter (250g), tubeless ready, Fusion 5 All Season, which has a harder compound, and started using Orange Seal (regular).

Since then I've only had one or two punctures which have sealed on the road with little loss of pressure so I am settling on the combination of Fusion 5 All Season TLR with Orange Seal for the rest of the winter.

Orange Seal definitely seems to work better with higher road tyre pressures and in cold, wet conditions, but I've not yet tried Stans Race nor Bontrager TLR sealant, which also have good reviews.

willmac

by willmac

bobones wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Earlier in the winter I ran 25mm Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance Tubeless (not the lighter tubeless ready version) front and back, but the rear continually punctured as it seem to attract small pieces of flint, which would adhere to the tyre, perhaps due to its tacky and grippy compound.

At time I was using Stans sealant and these punctures were not sealing, so I switched the rear tyre to the lighter (250g), tubeless ready, Fusion 5 All Season, which has a harder compound, and started using Orange Seal (regular).

Since then I've only had one or two punctures which have sealed on the road with little loss of pressure so I am settling on the combination of Fusion 5 All Season TLR with Orange Seal for the rest of the winter.

Orange Seal definitely seems to work better with higher road tyre pressures and in cold, wet conditions, but I've not yet tried Stans Race nor Bontrager TLR sealant, which also have good reviews.
Are you using the old version of these or the 11 storm version? If a tubeless tyre had a decent level of puncture protection without immediately resorting to sealant as first line of defence i would be interested in trying it again.

bobones

by bobones

I'm on the older tubeless ready version (HDF5.x compound?), which were on sale around Christmas time. The 11 storms don't seem to be readily available in Europe as yet, and there is a much heavier fully tubeless version around too. I don't think I've actually had a puncture on the rear since fitting the All Season when I was getting them almost every ride with the Performance; however, I'm not sure if this is down to puncture protection or differences in the compounds.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well how much more crap do you have on danish roads compared to suffolk roads then. The lanes round my way which i use alot are covered in mud, gravel and lots of flint..... i ride all over this all the time on tubeless I dont have the issues described above. With clinchers I flatted now and then but the main difference is I had to carry more tubes with me and it was really expensive in tubes or time repair tubes not to mention having to change tubes at the side of the road in the dark wet and cold. Either I am lucky or wilmac you are unlucky. The mavic Yskion I am using at present still is doing well so fingers crossed it is another good tyre.

TonyM

by TonyM

I had to google where is Suffolk compared to Denmark ...LOL...In the UK...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffolk

willmac

by willmac

bm0p700f, I can’t comment on that. I’ve never ridden in Suffolk. I also wouldn’t have thought a place could be so hard in tires as this is until I moved here. Not saying tubeless isn’t a good option, it’s just not a viable option where I ride during winter. If sealant is relied upon once in while to seal a small hole then that’s great but if the tire carcass cant prevent the majority of potential penetrations then you are left with having sealant trying to do a job it’s not intended to do. That’s all.

I’d be extremely happy if I could use tubeless during winter, I have used it during summer and really like it. It’s not a viable alternative here though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orlok

by Orlok

I don't know what your reasons are not to use tubeless for road during winter but I use tubeless for road for almost 4 years now and 40.000 km in summer and winter here in the Netherlands without any serieus problems with the sealant. The tires I used are Ultremo, One and Pro One from Schwalbe and Fusion 3 from Hutchinson all these tires are 23 mm with sealant from Schwalbe (Stan Notubes). :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless