Emonda ALR Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thisisbenji

by thisisbenji

Hey all,

I just picked up a 2016 Emonda ALR frameset via eBay.

The goal is to build this bike up to 15 lbs ready to ride, but just to get myself rolling I went with mostly components I already had.

Currently the bike is 15.80 lbs, but I still need to add bar tape.

I'm kind of kicking myself for this, but I was in a hurry to assemble this bike and didn't get a chance to put everything on a scale.

Any thoughts on where my best bang for my buck is going to be on dropping weight?

Frame: Emonda ALR 52cm
Fork: Emonda Full Carbon
Seatpost Clamp: Bontrager
Seatpost: Bontrager Carbon 244g
Seat: Bontrager Serano RXL 181g
Stem: Bontrager Elite 142g
Bar: Bontrager XXX VR-C 40 cm 179g
Bartape: SRAM 57g
Bottle Cages: Arundel Sport 43g x 2 = 86g
Cables: Jagwire Shop Kit
Brakes: SRAM Force 2011
Front derailleur: SRAM Red 2012
Rear derailleur: SRAM Force 2011
Crankset: SRAM Force 2011 / Stages GXP Carbon
Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP
Chainrings: SRAM Force
Chain: KMC X10SL
Shifters: SRAM Force
Cassette: SRAM PG1070
Wheels: Neuvation R28SL
Skewers: Neuvation 118g
Tubes: Michelin AirStop
Tires: Michelin Power Competition 700x25
Pedals: Look Keo Classic

Last edited by thisisbenji on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Beautiful build. And nice saddle. I've heard good thing about the Serano but never tried one myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jch3n

by jch3n

That seems pretty good for an alu build already....you could probably lose ~30g with a Kalloy Uno stem.

dbnm

by dbnm

Also, you could get KCNC titanium skewers that weigh 45 g and cost $70. that would save you about 75 grams.

dim

by dim

dbnm wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 pm
Also, you could get KCNC titanium skewers that weigh 45 g and cost $70. that would save you about 75 grams.
don't skimp on the skewers ... get the best such as Dura Ace which weighs a bit more .... same goes for the pedals .... get good ones

a very nice looking bike :thumbup:

maybe some lighter good tubeless ready wheels (climbing wheels), and good fast tubeless tyres to start off with? ... and a 11-32 cassette?

then step by step .... don't rush.... change one thing at a time, as you will have an idea today..... and next week you have a better idea 8)

..... and depending on what you will be using this bike for, perhaps a powermeter? .... ride the bike as is for a few weeks, then decide if it's a keeper .... if it is, get the important items first, then start changing so as to reduce weight

thats what I done with my Giant TCR .... when I need a new bike, all I will do is get a better frame, and transfer all the components .... I have very good wheels etc, and I have all the gadgets that make cycling enjoyable ...

I'm always a firm believer that you need a saddle that works for you .... I'm doing longer distance, and have found the Brooks Cambium C17 Carved (with the cutout) extremely comfortable .... I have it fitted to 2 of my bikes even though it's a bit heavy (but it's important to be comfortable)

Another very good saddle (for me) is the Fizik Airone (wingflex) ... I had this fitted to my Specialized S-Works .... a bit lighter that the Brooks
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Isn't more than half weight different between force and red is in the crank?
change it to Red GXP crank, either Red 22 or Red 2013.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

IIRC, that wheelset is either 20/24 or 24/28 spokes and the rims are around 27mm high-you could relace the hubs to wider Easton R90-SLs or Kinlin XR-26Ts and probably even use the old spokes if you don't have many miles on the wheelset.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Congratulations on a great alu build.

Weight savings for small money in addition to what has been suggested would be Vredestein latex tubes at 50 g a piece, Deda perforated bar tape at approx. 40 g for a 42cm bar and possibly alu chainring bolts. Also using Schwalbe tubeless rim tape could save another 30-40g if you are using ordinary plastic or fabric tape.

Good luck with the WW project.

thisisbenji

by thisisbenji

Thanks for all the tips!!

I went ahead and wrapped my bars and got my "official" starting weight of 16.04 lbs.

dim wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm
maybe some lighter good tubeless ready wheels (climbing wheels), and good fast tubeless tyres to start off with? ... and a 11-32 cassette?
I'm not sure how much lighter they would actually be, but tubeless ready wheels are definitely in my future. I could go with lightweight climbers like you suggested and drop some weight, but I live in Illinois and we have no hills. So I'm wondering if I'm better off sticking with something that is about the same weight, but a bit more aero.
dim wrote:
then step by step .... don't rush.... change one thing at a time, as you will have an idea today..... and next week you have a better idea 8)
I really like this idea, I think I'll get a new part every few weeks or so.
dim wrote:
..... and depending on what you will be using this bike for, perhaps a powermeter? .... ride the bike as is for a few weeks, then decide if it's a keeper .... if it is, get the important items first, then start changing so as to reduce weight
I'm almost certain this one is going to be a keeper for me. In my area most of my riding is 70/30 gravel/road, so most of my time is spent on my Trek Crockett. However, I do get out for the occasional pure road ride and I do an occasional crit. So that's where this bike comes in. The great thing about this Emonda ALR is that it should have a bit more aggressive handling with the steeper head tube angle and shorter wheelbase as compared to the Crockett, but at the same time it has the exact same stack and reach so I can get my fit dialed in basically identical on both bikes.
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 pm
Isn't more than half weight different between force and red is in the crank?
change it to Red GXP crank, either Red 22 or Red 2013.
There is a pretty big difference in published weight between the two cranksets. However, I wonder how much I personally would save since I've already replaced my left crankarm with a stages power meter? I do believe the stages was actually a tiny bit lighter than the force crankarm.

Along the same lines, my cassette is getting a bit worn out, I think if I go with a XG1090 to replace my PG1070 cassette I should shed a fair bit of weight.

SMITHERS

by SMITHERS

Nice build. Enjoy it!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It's a solid build, and a good starting point. You can definitely lose weight on pretty much every component on the bike, however. Start with the biggest things, then work your way down. Here are my suggestions:

Wheels - those wheels list at <1500g, for a clincher setup. You can stand to lose weight there, but it's a good starting point. I would move onto other areas for the time being, but if you can spot a deal on some <1400g wheels, then go back to it.
Crank - upgrade this to a Red crank.
FD & RD: I would leave these as-is, although you can probably find Red stuff pretty cheap.
Cassette: Look for a Red cassette. There's some serious weight savings to be had here.

Seatpost definitely has to go, but the stem is compatible with the Bontrager Blendr mounts, which are pretty light, and may be a good trade-off, if you use a computer.

thisisbenji

by thisisbenji

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:00 pm
Seatpost definitely has to go, but the stem is compatible with the Bontrager Blendr mounts, which are pretty light, and may be a good trade-off, if you use a computer.
Did a little bit of part swapping today and got a couple more parts on the scale.

Bontrager Serano RXL Saddle 181g

Bontrager Seatpost 244g

Zipp SL Speed Seatpost 192g

I already had the Zipp SL Speed post, so I went ahead and swapped that over to drop 52g pretty easy. This gets me down to 15.93 lbs.

thisisbenji

by thisisbenji

Picked up some Bontrager RXL Bottle Cages today, saved 58g. I’m down to 15.76 lbs now. Only a 1/4 lbs to go until I’m happy! Still loving this bike though, it’s definitely going to be in my possession for many years to come.

thisisbenji

by thisisbenji

Today’s new addition is a pair of Control Tech Race Light skewers. I weighed them at 28g, so that should be a 90g savings over my stock Neuvation Skewers.

I’ve always preferred bolt on style skewers over quick release, so I’m pretty excited for these.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

Nice build man. I’ve been looking at the Control Tech skewers to save a few grams over my 44 gram KCNC skewers. I also like the bolt on style better.

I have some Neugent wheels on my bike also. Not the lightest at 1400 grams, but very solid wheels, with excellent support from John.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com