Help with new bar and stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hyvent

by hyvent

Hello,

I have 2 bikes I currently own. I would like to get my Ti bike with a similar position to my aero bike.

Aero bike is the Felt AR1 size 51cm.
It has 110mm (6* +/-) stem with a 3t Aeronova Team 40cm bar with a reach of 104?
Head tube is 120; Top tube is 535; Reach is 379
Completely slammed.

The Ti bike is a GT Edge TI modern version (2014-2015) in size 54.
Head tube is 140; Stem is 100mm (8* +/-) with a Easton EA50 bar in 42cm bar (reach of 75)
Top tube at 545; Reach is unknown.

Am i correct in getting a long 130mm stem with a -17 drop if i were to use Zipp Sl70 Aero bars (reach 70mm) on the Ti bike?

Thank you all for any input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hyvent

by hyvent

how would i factor in the reach of the current bars vs the new bars?

add the reach of the bars on the bike reach with stem length?

TonyM

by TonyM

hyvent wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:44 pm
how would i factor in the reach of the current bars vs the new bars?

add the reach of the bars on the bike reach with stem length?
The handlebar is a prolongation of the stem in terms of reach and stack.
I would add the reach of the handlebar to the length of the stem for "old" vs "new"

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Couldn't you place the bikes close to eachother and just eyeball the seat/handlebar position?

Measure vertical floor to crank center distance and compensate seat/bar height.

Put both bikes rear wheels against a back wall and measure distance from wall to crank center and to sit bone position. Calculate difference and set the bike to the same difference.

Measure floor to crank center and floor to handlebar (hoods) and calculate differnce. Set the bike to the same difference with stem/handlebar/shifter angle.

Should be close enough...

/a

hyvent

by hyvent

i used the bikegeo site TonyM provided and plugged in the geometry for both bikes.

it appears -17 stem at 120mm would get me close to my aero bike position with a 70mm reach aero bar.

i did initially place the bikes back to back against the wall to measure the difference. gonna go with a kalloy uno stem as its only $35 and im not losin much if it doesnt fit rite.

Fiery

by Fiery

I would rely on manufacturer specifications when it comes to handlebar reach. The ways they measure it vary wildly, and furthermore the final reach is can change a lot depending on your actual bar and shifter configuration.

It’s better to measure the actual reach of your particular setup yourself - for example, stretch a piece of string across the tips of the shifter hoods and measure from it to the centre of the bar at the stem. Use this measurement in combination with the bikegeo calculator to get the final stem length.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com