Wishbone Bottom Bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

These are reasonably priced and based on the feedback I've across they seem to be solid bottom brackets. Anyone know about the following?

-Is the BB body metal or plastic?

-Are the bearing seals low friction for road or high sealing for cyclocross/mtb/wet riding?

-When the bearings wear out, can they be replaced or does the whole BB need to be replaced?

-Are the bearings a standard size?

Thanks in advance.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lwk

by lwk

If I may ask, where are you planning to buy the bb from?

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

There is a seller on ebay named mr_ride that seems to carry most of their products if not all.

http://stores.ebay.com/mrridebicycle/

I can answer a few of the questions:

-Looking closely at a couple of their BB's the seals say 6806-2RS, so they are standard size bearings
-and double sided seal so good for wet weather riding.
-The BB bodies have machine marks so must be alloy rather than plastic

Still not sure if the bearings can be easily pulled out to service.
2016 Diverge Expert

lwk

by lwk

I haven’t had the best experience with the same vendor. He was slow to respond to messages and after a month of waiting patiently for tracking information, I lodged a complaint and received my money back. Don’t know why he never posted the bb. Wishbone themselves also don’t answer emails......

AZR3

by AZR3

For what it’s worth I’ve purchased a bunch of KMC chains from mr_ride over the years and never had an issue.

MrMojo

by MrMojo

I’ve been thinking about getting the Wishbone Threadfit Shimano bottom bracket for the C60 for a while now but can find very little if anything about them.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

micky

by micky

Wishbone started their business with carbon wheels (I have a pair, basically Gigantex stock wheels) and then switched to making bottom brackets for all kind of combinations, but I can't speak for this as I didnt have chance to try.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You may as well wait to see what Ceramic Speed has come up with for the Colnago C64. It should work on the same premise as the Wishbone solution in that it’s an option which replaces the Threadfit cups which come standard with the frame.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

garypremo

by garypremo

I also posted this info in the thread: Colnago C60 - Campagnolo bottom bracket. I apologize if you are seeing it twice.

I contacted Ceramicspeed to find out when information will be available on the Threadfit 82.5 bottom bracket solutions for Colnago models with the TF82.5 standard. Below is the reply:

Hi Gary

Thank you for the mail and your interest in our new product.
The Website should have it up on next Friday. They are working on it, in Marketing.

Venlig hilsen / Best regards,

Kim Sigkjær Jakobsen
Sales & Logistics Support

Noergaardsvej 3
DK-7500 Holstebro

Mobile: +45 25101425

I am assuming "next Friday" means February 23, 2018.

-Gary
2016 Colnago C60 PLWH 61 CM Traditional Geometry

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Very much interested in the Ceramic Speed BB. I saw they are making one, cheers.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

nickstea

by nickstea

Calnago wrote:You may as well wait to see what Ceramic Speed has come up with for the Colnago C64. It should work on the same premise as the Wishbone solution in that it’s an option which replaces the Threadfit cups which come standard with the frame.
@cal - I have mad respect for your knowledge on all things Colnago, especially BB solutions. I would have just sent you a PM, however it does not seem that I am allowed to yet (anyway to get a hold of a mod so I can pM?)

Anyway, as you know I’m building up a gorgeous PLWH c60 at my local bike shop (which is a great shop and has a great reputation - Fairwheel bikes aka madcow on the forums). The build overall turned out fantastic with DuraAce, however I was expecting a HSC ceramic BB and when I went to go pick up the bike, it had a dura ace bb (that’s a fraction of the cost). Is DA 9100 a suitable alternative to HSC? Should I have considered ceramic speed BB? Will I notice a difference?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's fine... you likely won't notice a difference while riding. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it isn't creaking or develops a creak you're good. Nothing worse than a creaky bottom bracket. But that's largely a function of how well it was installed in the first place and whether a retaining compound and primer was used. Colnago actually recommends a dry install. I used a little Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste just as a preventative antiseize agent. But do not use grease. Grease is your enemy when installing a pressfit BB... as it just facilitates movement and while it may "mask" the noise from the movement for a while, it's still allowing it, and that will eventually creak again, but worse, cause excessive wear on your BB shell. In Colnago's case, with the Threadfit BB, if something like that ever did cause excessive wear the solution is very simple, you just replace the Threadfit cups. Unlike a lot of other bare carbon shell frames where, if wear occurs, you're kind of stuck with it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nickstea

by nickstea

Calnago wrote:It's fine... you likely won't notice a difference while riding. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it isn't creaking or develops a creak you're good. Nothing worse than a creaky bottom bracket. But that's largely a function of how well it was installed in the first place and whether a retaining compound and primer was used. Colnago actually recommends a dry install. I used a little Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste just as a preventative antiseize agent. But do not use grease. Grease is your enemy when installing a pressfit BB... as it just facilitates movement and while it may "mask" the noise from the movement for a while, it's still allowing it, and that will eventually creak again, but worse, cause excessive wear on your BB shell. In Colnago's case, with the Threadfit BB, if something like that ever did cause excessive wear the solution is very simple, you just replace the Threadfit cups. Unlike a lot of other bare carbon shell frames where, if wear occurs, you're kind of stuck with it.
Thanks again for your wisdom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garypremo

by garypremo

The Ceramicspeed customer service representative has apologized for the delay in updating the website to reflect the new T45 bottom bracket solution for Colnago Threadfit 82.5 bottom bracket equipped bikes. Here is the latest reply:

Hi Gary

I am sorry for the late reply and the bad news about you can´t see it yet.
Our website is working against adding this to the website. But I hope it will be up next week. This is being worked hard on by our webmaster.

Venlig hilsen / Best regards,

cid:image015.jpg@01D239DE.CE028400

Kim Sigkjær Jakobsen
Sales & Logistics Support

Noergaardsvej 3
DK-7500 Holstebro

Mobile: +45 25101425
2016 Colnago C60 PLWH 61 CM Traditional Geometry

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I ordered a Wishbone Thread Fit 82.5 bb for my C60 from mr_ride last May. The bb showed up quickly after a smooth tranaction on eBay. The bb spins ok right out of box, not super smooth but acceptable. My LBS wrench who did the installation complained that there isn't much space for his thin Park hollow tech 2 tool to grab. As result he needed be really careful not to strip the cups. Anyway everything was working fine after the installation. Few months later a different LBS wrench removed the bb to fix the Di2 junction box rattling. Shortly after the bb started to creak. It took a few tries but finally the creak was solved by tightening the bb a little more. The LBS wrench said he was afraid strpping the cups and that's why he did not tighten it enough during the isntallation. I grabbed the same bb from LBS while visting Taipei last December since I always like having essential spare in my part bin. I noticed this one spins very smooth out of box. I guess either the first one is bad or the company switched to different bearing.

The new Ceramicspeed bb looks exactly same as one from Wishbone and that means tightening the cups can be little tricky. Personally I think $400+ for a bb is little crazy since a $40 DA bb86 will work fine for few years. But someone here will remind me about my $6k frame............

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com