Pulled the trigger on Bike Messenger (Version 2.0)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Alpinist wrote:Now I am about to order a set. Have any of you seen a wheelset (black hub, spokes and rims with red nipples? Any pictures? What was your thought's on it?I was thinking about it but I'll probably play it safe and go all black.
Alpinist

Red nipples does sound good... but I fear you will get sick of them after a while... I say play it safe. However, I would do red tune hubs over red nipples.

lactatehate

by lactatehate

Ripley451 wrote:This is one of the few good reasons for living in the US IMHO :lol: I'd love to order some wheels from him but fear I'd get stung with import duties :cry:

I'd second Kab's post re. getting a good wheelbuilder near you to build the wheels you're after, especially when James the guy that built my TT frame for me also built up the rear Fir antara rim on my powertap hub.

He's built wheels for me in the past that have been absolutely solid, pm me and I'll send you contact details, he's only up at Barrow on Soar.

D.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ripley451

by Ripley451

Thanks Dave, he's a bit nearer than Harry Rowland. One PM on its way...
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

Skyleth

by Skyleth

How are those rims/hubs in not-nice weather/conditions? Rain, bumpy terrain, occasional gravel, etc...? is there a durability sacrifice w/ the weight savings of the tune hubs? I read somewhere that madcow said he's had tune hubs on his commuting/training bike all winter w/o any issues, but Juanmoretime noted that his wheel set (similar to Rich W's) are his fair weather training wheels. I'm thinking of getting some weenie weight clincher wheels but would be racing on them thru rain and bad pavement (maybe even no pavement in a few races, Green Mountain Stage Race's Road Race has a stretch on a dirt road)... just wondering on their durability.
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

Skyleth wrote:How are those rims/hubs in not-nice weather/conditions? Rain, bumpy terrain, occasional gravel, etc...? is there a durability sacrifice w/ the weight savings of the tune hubs? I read somewhere that madcow said he's had tune hubs on his commuting/training bike all winter w/o any issues, but Juanmoretime noted that his wheel set (similar to Rich W's) are his fair weather training wheels. I'm thinking of getting some weenie weight clincher wheels but would be racing on them thru rain and bad pavement (maybe even no pavement in a few races, Green Mountain Stage Race's Road Race has a stretch on a dirt road)... just wondering on their durability.

How the rims will hold up depends alot on your weight. The hubs are not the best sealed but you can use them in the rain. I warn against using them in constant wet weather like riding 4 hours in a downpour. They are very easy to take apart and clean out if you ever need to service them. Using a heavier spoke woud also make these much better training wheels.

Feel free to give me a call and I will give you build suggestions on what should work and what won't and know I do not expect you to buy wheels from me if you do call and want build advise. The phone number is on my website if you wanted to call.

Skyleth

by Skyleth

bikemesenger wrote:How the rims will hold up depends alot on your weight. The hubs are not the best sealed but you can use them in the rain. I warn against using them in constant wet weather like riding 4 hours in a downpour. They are very easy to take apart and clean out if you ever need to service them. Using a heavier spoke woud also make these much better training wheels.

Feel free to give me a call and I will give you build suggestions on what should work and what won't and know I do not expect you to buy wheels from me if you do call and want build advise. The phone number is on my website if you wanted to call.

Good to know, I'm not expecting to go on epic training rides thru rain, sleet, and snow on tune hubs, but that's good to know that they're easily serviced.

Thanks for the invite, I'll give you a call soon when I get some more free time here at work.
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

divve

by divve

Skyleth wrote:
Good to know, I'm not expecting to go on epic training rides thru rain, sleet, and snow on tune hubs, but that's good to know that they're easily serviced.

Thanks for the invite, I'll give you a call soon when I get some more free time here at work.

You can weatherproof them a bit by covering the outside bearing seal with some tacky white grease (old Campy stuff or Motorex).

Don't expect them to be serviceable in the sense of Campagnolo hubs. Tune uses cartridge bearings. When they get contaminated it's basically new bearing time and it will require specific tools (bearing press) when you want to do it right....you can always try removing the seals and put in new grease as a last ditch effort, but success is often limited.

Alpinist

by Alpinist

Rich_W wrote:
Alpinist wrote:Now I am about to order a set. Have any of you seen a wheelset (black hub, spokes and rims with red nipples? Any pictures? What was your thought's on it?I was thinking about it but I'll probably play it safe and go all black.
Alpinist

Red nipples does sound good... but I fear you will get sick of them after a while... I say play it safe. However, I would do red tune hubs over red nipples.

Getting tired of them is a concern.
I do want the red hubs but they take to long to get. 3 or 4 weeks for Troy get them from Germany and I have all my components showing up at the end of next week. I'm itching to get this thing built. I dunno

The red on the hubs probably would not match the fire engine red on my Cyfac frame.

Alpinist
Attachments
tune2006_18_m.jpg
Cyfac_ncarbon5.jpg

vox nihil

by vox nihil

I believe he will anodize a set of white industry hubs for you...

alienator

by alienator

vox nihil wrote:I believe he will anodize a set of white industry hubs for you...

He absolutely will. Here are some.....
Attachments
pewter H1.jpg
blue H1.jpg
black H1.jpg

Sabertooth

by Sabertooth

alienator wrote:
vox nihil wrote:I believe he will anodize a set of white industry hubs for you...

Alienator,

What is the weight of the White Industry hubs pictured?

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

Sabertooth wrote:
alienator wrote:

Alienator,

What is the weight of the White Industry hubs pictured?

The fronts are 70 grams and the rears are 230 grams.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

furthermore, curious what rim that is laced to the the pewter rear hub?

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

Rich_W wrote:furthermore, curious what rim that is laced to the the pewter rear hub?

It is a 30mm tall niobium rim, which have been coming in light as of late. The 20h ones have been coming in at 440 grams and the 24h ones have been 455 to 460 grams.

bikeuphill9

by bikeuphill9

I chose the DT spokes as they are both lighter and cheaper.
"Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today" James Dean

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com