New Emonda build and need to lose some grams.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Calnago wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 pm
I’m with @pdlphser1 on both counts above. “Compression plugs” often, though not always, provide much more than just an anchor to provide bearing preload. They also provide a measure of structural integrity in a lot instances. Again, not always, but I wouldn’t just be throwing them away without taking that into consideration. I’ve tried lighter pedals, like LOOK Ti Blades. Sure they save weight, but they’ve been collecting dust after putting the Dura Ace pedals back on after a hundred miles or so.
+1.

Here are two good videos I've watched on compression plugs. As for the Dura Ace pedals, I wonder if anyone makes a Ti axle for it. I've not seen it but I would be interested in getting one if it's not too expensive or too hard to replace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSnbjHiFXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2PMfPiy90E

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

prendrefeu wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:31 pm
DA9000 Pedals = 248g/pair

There are plenty that are lighter than that and just as durable.

Do you know how compression plugs actually work?
EE Cycleworks produces one of the lightest out there, and it's perfectly safe. Once you have everything set the cap bolt can be replaced with nylon.
Given, of course, that you understand how headset bearings are set.
If you are talking about Speedplay Ti pedals which just about every WW bike has one, yes I still have them but they are sitting in storage. Once I've tried the Dura Ace pedals I'm not going back to the Speedplays. I'm not questioning the durability of the light pedals. The Dura Ace transfers power much more efficiently. And I'm not even a big watts crusher. So I imagine the benefit is even magnified for more powerful riders.

I'll take a look at the EE plugs. The key thing for safety is that the plug must be tall enough (>40mm) to cover the entire area of the steer tube that is clamped by the stem. Those tiny little plugs that you see on WW bikes don't prevent compressive force over the entire clamp area (=40mm in most cases)

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

garysol1 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 pm
oldnslow2 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:07 pm
Not sure why your bike is heavier than mine.

Could be because your saddle is leaning up against the scale :) . Our bikes are pretty similar save for your etap. That could account for some of it.
Here's when I first built the bike with Red 22 mechanical. Going to eTap actually made it lighter.

The saddle was never touching the scale.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I found the EE plug and also a review on it from an engineering perspective. I know this is WW but I think the EE plug has crossed the safety line. The EE plug seems to only provide a headset bearing preload and it does nothing to resist the compressive force of the stem clamp.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/05/cane-cr ... ut-review/

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 am
If you are talking about Speedplay Ti pedals which just about every WW bike has one
Nope.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.