Tubeless set-up lighter than lightweight tire & tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I really disagree with your claim that easy to mount tires will be hard to inflate for the first time. Friction is the biggest culprit preventing a tire bead from popping out of the center channel, not looseness. That’s why tight beads sometimes need soapy water as lube and loose beads don’t. In fact, this is one of Mavic/Hutchinsonks key marketing points with UST.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Soap suds, washing up liquid, talc etc. can all help, no doubt. But everything I've experienced, fitting tubeless to both newer rims and older, non-tubeless rims like the original Open Pro, points to the fact that a tighter fit will make the tyres easier to inflate.

Before modern rim shapes and buying my Airshot, my go-to trick was to add another wrap of rim tape. I have the blistered thumbs and broken tyre levers to prove it!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well every time I have an easy to fit by hand tyre it has been difficult or a bit hit and miss to inflate with lots of soapy water.

The Mavic open pro UST rim, is UST but mavic's own yskion ust tyres are a tight fit (most people will need levers even though it is doable without) and you need soapy water to get them inflated with a floor pump.

It all depends what we are classing as an easy fit doesn't it. Try a Mavic yskion UST tyre on a he'd Belgium+ with two layers of stans and tell me it goes up reliably and the bead locks in place. That's s loose fit.

It's not just getting the tyre out if the channel, it has to lock into the bead hook or I get offended. The problem if I have then is I remove the tyre and fitted more tape that take me time which is money to me. Also too many layers of tape can insure the bump next to the channel present on some rims but not all that stops the tyre unseating at zero pressure, is obscured so the tyre definitely unseats then. So then you rely on friction alone to keep the tyre in place which means the fit has to be even tighter.

Mavic have UST but really it works best with on there UST complete wheels.

I can only relate what I have observed and what works the best for me. I have fitted lots of tubeless tyres to many different rims with varying degrees of success. Then there is the rims I mention with all the main brands of tubeless tyres setup the way I described for a easy mess free install that's secure. That's a combination that keeps installation time to a minimum and saves me money.

I am quite particular about what I consider to be tubeless compatible. Going up with a floor pump alone is nice but not essential. A cO2 canister dies the job if compressed air well enough. The bead must lock into the rim and must remain seated at zero pressure. There are rims I build with which don't do that and you won't find me describing them as tubeless compatible and offering tubeless tyres with then.

I know Mavic UST achieves this with there wheels but have you tried building a wheel without spoke holes. Fiddly is how I would describe it.